• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the stamps

WalkerByChoice

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2016).
Hi. Hopefully i will walk the CF this summer but have a question.
You get a stamp everytime you sleep in a hostel, right?
But what if you just keep going and make more kilometers and go to the next city?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't really understand what your question is?
Are you concerned you won't have enough stamps during the last 100 km before you reach Santiago? If that's the case, just get stamps as you walk. Other ones besides the daily one you get from the albergue, hostel, pensiones or hotel you are staying in. You can get them from churches, bars, cafes and tourist offices. It's easy. The day I left SJPdP I already had three stamps in my credential. From the albergue, the pilgrim's office and from the tourist office there.
Otherwise, don't sweat it. There is no official way to walk the Camino. Some walk 10-15 km a day and some walk 30-45 km a day.

Oh... Thanks.
Thought there were specific stamps for each city and i would have to get them one after another

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One important point. When you ask for the Compostela the pilgrim office want to see at least two stamps per day for the last 100km - ie after Sarria. Not a problem as you will find many places offering a sello.

One important point. When you ask for the Compostela the pilgrim office want to see at least two stamps per day for the last 100km - ie after Sarria. Not a problem as you will find many places offering a sello.
Hi, you only need two stamps a day when you begin your Camino in Sarria .
Wish you well, Peter.

But what if you just keep going and make more kilometers and go to the next city?
The point to the sellos is to tell the office in Santiago that you actually walked a route to Santiago. The point to it as far as you are concerned is to have this really cool record of where you went and where you stayed. Most of the time you will get a stamp from the albuergue you stay in when you pay for your bunk - though sometimes you will walk by a little alcove in the village you are in and see a little ink pad with a sello attached with a piece of string. Other times you will see the same set up sitting on a bar when you stop for coffee or a beer. You won't spend the night in every single village you walk through. You won't even stop in most of them. So no worries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"To be awarded the Compostela:
You need to have made the pilgrimage for religious reasons or for a similar motivation such as a vow.
You need to have walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms, or cycled the last 200kms, to arrive at the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
You should collect at least two sellos (stamps) each day on your credencial. This will usually be where you sleep and one other place such as a Church, ayuntamiento, café etc. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't really understand what your question is?
Are you concerned you won't have enough stamps during the last 100 km before you reach Santiago? If that's the case, just get stamps as you walk. Other ones besides the daily one you get from the albergue, hostel, pensiones or hotel you are staying in. You can get them from churches, bars, cafes and tourist offices. It's easy. The day I left SJPdP I already had three stamps in my credential. From the albergue, the pilgrim's office and from the tourist office there.
Otherwise, don't sweat it. There is no official way to walk the Camino. Some walk 10-15 km a day and some walk 30-45 km a day.
Thanks for that Mark, I didn't know where one got the daily stamps. Everyone talks about them but not where they get them from!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A friend and I had a competition about the oddest place to get a sello. So far I think I'm in the lead - a hairdresser. Who can beat this?
We were having our first rest day, in Los Arcos, and rang the bell of the Guardia Civil barracks to get stamps; the soldier who came to the gate looked really surprised but took our credenciales away to be stamped. Led to some interesting conversations over the next few days when the hospitaleros noticed them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stamps are everywhere. I became "stamp obsessed" and filled seven passports with
Stamps are everywhere. I became "stamp obsessed" and filled seven passports with over 300. There is a shop on Etsy, called Camino Estrella, that sells T-shirts with stamps. One is "generic" and is covered "all over" with very large size stamps. The other is custom made. You scan your pages, upload to them, and they put them on the shirt. It is not, however, an "all over" shirt. The stamps are on the small side in a square on the front. For an additional fee, you can opt for a second square on the back, allowing you to use double the number of stamps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 43

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 25
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stamps are everywhere. I became "stamp obsessed" and filled seven passports with

Stamps are everywhere. I became "stamp obsessed" and filled seven passports with over 300. There is a shop on Etsy, called Camino Estrella, that sells T-shirts with stamps. One is "generic" and is covered "all over" with very large size stamps. The other is custom made. You scan your pages, upload to them, and they put them on the shirt. It is not, however, an "all over" shirt. The stamps are on the small side in a square on the front. For an additional fee, you can opt for a second square on the back, allowing you to use double the number of stamps.
I have seen folks walk maniacally all over the towns where they stop for cafe, lunch and the evening filling their credentials full of stamps. Crazy, yes, but it is a nice way to savor your memories and share your many stops with your friends when you get home. I have a pile of 7 of them sitting next to my computer and have no idea what to do with them. That being said I already have a fresh one for this year, go figure.

We were having our first rest day, in Los Arcos, and rang the bell of the Guardia Civil barracks to get stamps; the soldier who came to the gate looked really surprised but took our credenciales away to be stamped. Led to some interesting conversations over the next few days when the hospitaleros noticed them!
We have stamps from the local police from one of the towns after Madrid. They were the ones who had the keys to the albergue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I already have one Credencial from Ivar, but if I need more along the way are they easy to obtain??

I already have one Credencial from Ivar, but if I need more along the way are they easy to obtain??
You can get one in SJPdP at the pilgrim's office. It's a nice one as well and they will stamp it for you. You can also get another one like the one you have from the tourist office in SJPdP, and get it stamped.

I have seen folks walk maniacally all over the towns where they stop for cafe, lunch and the evening filling their credentials full of stamps. Crazy, yes, but it is a nice way to savor your memories and share your many stops with your friends when you get home. I have a pile of 7 of them sitting next to my computer and have no idea what to do with them. That being said I already have a fresh one for this year, go figure.
I have four of them as well as three compostelas still in the cardboard tubes they provide in Santiago, sitting on a shelf above my desk. I guess I'll eventually get them framed or something.

I have four of them as well as three compostelas still in the cardboard tubes they provide in Santiago, sitting on a shelf above my desk. I guess I'll eventually get them framed or something.
Thanks for the info on where to get other credentials Mark.
Re your comment on the cardboard tubes, did you get them from the same place as your compostelas or somewhere else in Santiago?

Thanks for the info on where to get other credentials Mark.
Re your comment on the cardboard tubes, did you get them from the same place as your compostelas or somewhere else in Santiago?
You can get them at the pilgrim's office in Santiago when you get your compostela. I think it's a donation of one euro for the tube, but it's worth it. Protects your passport and compostela for the trip home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can get them at the pilgrim's office in Santiago when you get your compostela. I think it's a donation of one euro for the tube, but it's worth it. Protects your passport and compostela for the trip home.
Thanks Mark, I had been contemplating bringing one from home. So that's one less thing to worry about!

Also the pilgrim's office in SJPdP is just a cool place to stop in before you start your Camino. Really gracious volunteers there. They stamp your passport. You can get a shell there and they will give you a current list of albergues along the CF with phone numbers, etc and an elevation guide as well as a nice map of the two routes over the Pyrenees the first day. They also have up to date weather reports.
cheers

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back