• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to SJPP late arrival options for first time Camino traveler, seeking advice for ride-sharing on April 27, 2022

jbreuner

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, April 28, 2022 to ???
Hi Everyone. My name is Jim and I'm beginning to think the most difficult part of the Camino is just getting there! I am hoping to start my first Camino (Frances) during the last week April, but getting from San Francisco CA to SJPdP is proving difficult. COVID requirements aside (that's another thread), I've managed to find connecting flights to Biarritz airport, landing at 20:55 on Wed, 4/27/22. Unfortunately, the Express Bourricot shuttle service just confirmed they do not pick up that late at night. Is there anyone out there who happens to be arriving at the same date and time who would be willing to share a taxi or Uber (or ???) to St. Jean that night? I don't want to waste a night in a hotel in Biarritz just to catch the shuttle the next morning! Thank you, and Buen Camino to us all!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll likely also arrive late in Bayonne (borders on Biarritz) in May. I plan on sleeping there and enjoying a bit of this allegedly beautiful town, then catch an earlyish train to SJPDP next morning (for whatever reason you cant book them now but i guess they'll still be there. If not, Taxi). Then I'll do my business at the pilgrims office and hike the 2,5h to Orisson where I'll spend the night.

You may find another kindred spirit on the flight,? I know we met seven PEREGRINAS when we flew into Biarritz. Staying in Biarritz could also help you with the jet lag. You can still start the next day even if you are taking the train or car transfer to SJPDP.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My advice is to spend the night in Biarritz or Bayonne. I also flew from SFO to CDG. Landed before noon and spent the entire day at CDG, taking an evening flight to Biarritz. In my case, I was able to get a ride from Express Bourricot (landed around 7 PM). I was exhausted. I suspect that your itinerary is similar to what I did.

I got up the next morning and climbed to the Vierge de Biakorri. It was brutal despite my training. The next day, I started at the Vierge and had no problems.

If I had to do it again, I would not have spent the day at CDG. I would have gotten a hotel near the airport or near the Gare Montparnasse, depending on whether I was going to fly or take the train the next day, gotten some rest as well as some time walking outside. Climbing out of SJPDP while jet lagged is something that I won't subject myself to again.

Many thanks to Anhalter, J Willhaus and CAJohn for your wise and informative responses. You've given me a different perspective, and a good one. I will take your advice and stay in Biarritz (or Bayonne) and catch some much needed rest before boarding the train into SJPdP the following morning and starting my walk. Now I can rest easier and firm up my travel reservations. Buen camino!!

Hi Everyone. My name is Jim and I'm beginning to think the most difficult part of the Camino is just getting there! I am hoping to start my first Camino (Frances) during the last week April, but getting from San Francisco CA to SJPdP is proving difficult. COVID requirements aside (that's another thread), I've managed to find connecting flights to Biarritz airport, landing at 20:55 on Wed, 4/27/22. Unfortunately, the Express Bourricot shuttle service just confirmed they do not pick up that late at night. Is there anyone out there who happens to be arriving at the same date and time who would be willing to share a taxi or Uber (or ???) to St. Jean that night? I don't want to waste a night in a hotel in Biarritz just to catch the shuttle the next morning! Thank you, and Buen Camino to us all!!
Jim, Have you considered flying into Madrid? From there you can take a 2 hour train ride and a ~ 2.5 hour bus ride to SJPDP. A friend who has done the Camino 3 times told me about it and that he purchases the train and bus tickets prior to leaving US. Zohreh

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jim, Have you considered flying into Madrid? From there you can take a 2 hour train ride and a ~ 2.5 hour bus ride to SJPDP. A friend who has done the Camino 3 times told me about it and that he purchases the train and bus tickets prior to leaving US. Zohreh
Thank you, Zohreh. It's a thought, but I just purchased my tickets yesterday! I figured I'd stay overnight in Biarritz/Bayonne, then catch the shuttle into SJPdP the next morning. I'll take care of my business at the Pilgrim Office, then hit the trail, probably breaking up the stage between SJPdP and Roncevalles. However, I am thinking of making my way to Madrid for the return trip home. We'll see how that works out. Take care!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey! Do you have more advice about this? I've been searching for ways to get to SJPDP from Madrid but haven't seen much :'))

Unfortunately, I arrive earlier in the day to Biarritz. But maybe I will see you on the way. Rest day on the 28th and starting on April 29th.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back