• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting there: Madrid to SJPP

Patty7valleys

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned (2017)
We are arriving Madrid Sunday 3/19 and taking the train to Pamplona. We had planned to stay at Corazon Puro but must now make other arrangements. What's the best way to get from Pamplona to SJPP? We will start walking Monday 3/20.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan to take the bus. I stayed at Corazon Puro last year, and I'm sad that it's not a possibility this year. The website Rome2Rio is good for finding transport options.

Thanks for the website--our arrival from Madrid is 2:40 p.m., so it looks as though we will not make the bus. Perhaps taxi is the only option?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
To get to SJPdP that same day, it looks like a taxi is your only option and 80-100 euros cost, but not bad if you are able to split it.

We are arriving Madrid Sunday 3/19 and taking the train to Pamplona. We had planned to stay at Corazon Puro but must now make other arrangements. What's the best way to get from Pamplona to SJPP? We will start walking Monday 3/20.
Hi, Patty,

Maybe you would get more answers if you used "hello" and "thank you" in your OP. I know that's of no use for you right now but you just might try Search button or one of the subforums like "getting to/from..."

Anyway Ultreia!

PS (Welcome to the forum :) )

I might be on the same train, but on a different day! I only say this because I do think the train from Madrid to Pamplona, which arrives at 14:30, will be very popular with pilgrims. I would suggest you look for other pilgrims to share a taxi to St. Jean. Pilgrims are easy to spot with their microfiber clothing and 40L backpacks. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your thoughts about options. We will see if we can find additional riders to share the taxi.

I might be on the same train, but on a different day! I only say this because I do think the train from Madrid to Pamplona, which arrives at 14:30, will be very popular with pilgrims. I would suggest you look for other pilgrims to share a taxi to St. Jean. Pilgrims are easy to spot with their microfiber clothing and 40L backpacks. Buen Camino.

It's interesting that the bus leaves Pamplona before the train arrives there from Madrid--oh well, I hope you are right about finding pilgrims to share the taxi ride! Thanks.

Hi, Patty,

Maybe you would get more answers if you used "hello" and "thank you" in your OP. I know that's of no use for you right now but you just might try Search button or one of the subforums like "getting to/from..."

Anyway Ultreia!

PS (Welcome to the forum :) )
Ummm, I hadn't noticed that every thread on the forum starts with hello and ends with thank you. It's nice, but not necessary to get a response. I didn't find the OP to be rude at all. However pointing out that she didn't use those words is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

SJPdP is connected by CONDA (ALSA) bus to Pamplona. Schedule varies seasonally. In March its likely one per day.

Did you know there is an airport at Pamplona? The critical factor is the 1430 bus from Pamplona ... a flight might get you there on time.

SJPdP is connected by SNCF train to Bayonne. 4 x daily all year. One advantage is the first train runs at 0745, making staying in Bayonne or Irun a viable option.

Take flight Madrid to Biarritz BIQ. Take Chronoplus #14 to Gare Bayonne.

Take flight Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. Airport is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. Or take Transports64 from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne.

If you want to go from Madrid by bus or train, take Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye or take ALSA bus to San Sebastian.

There is ALSA and PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. Renfe Cercanias trains run from San Sebastian to Irun Renfe Station.

Metro Donostialdea operates trains from Irun Colon (across tracks from Irun Renfe station) to Hendaia (co-located Gare d'Hendaye).

Last edited by a moderator:
whariwharangi makes a good point...
Instead of going to Pamplona, why not fly to Biarritz/Bayonne from Madrid and take the train from there to SJPdP?

Hello, Patty, There were two times that I splurged on transportation on the Camino. One was to ride a horse up the mountain to O'Cebreiero. The second was a taxi from the train station in Pamplona to SJPdP. For me the taxi was more pleasant than a bus, the driver had a wealth of information and pointed out places where we would be walking the next day. Another plus was not having to get to the bus station and waiting for the bus schedule. We just walked out the front door and immediately got our taxi, 100 euros split 2 ways. Yes, there are several different ways to reach SJPdP, researching is part of the fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

There is a bus service from Panplona to SJPP. It's about an hour and a bit. You can book online. You can get from Pamplona station to the bus terminal on a local bus. Just follow everyone who has a backpack. There will be plenty. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back