• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting there!

TinaPEI

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully sometime....
I feel like things are settling in well for me. I have my flights books, Orisson is booked, I now have a small camera to take with me, a backpack, small sleeping bag, a few Merino tops etc. No boots or shoes yet, but I am seriously considering wearing sandals. I normally live in sandals all summer long. I struggle with finding shoes that fit; I have really small feet (US size 5.5-6) but need a wide toe box (usually by a 7 to make room for my toes) because of bunions, but I have extremely small heels. I tried on as many Keens as I found close to my size, but they were just either too big, or not wide enough. I think I'll try some trail runners and men's keens to see if they are better, but I may be walking in sandals. Last summer I walked about 145 km in 10 days (in Florida, Walt Disney World - so it's totally different, but all pavement walking) and I didn't get a single blister. My friend tends to get blisters every trip, but not me. I like the kind that you can adjust in 3 different places, and I think that's what helps my feet, because I can adjust them, but still make them tight enough that they stay on my feet - I can't do flip flop style anything. So many things to consider!

Things to do:

- transportation to SJPdP
- finalize packing list
-buy more socks and undergarments
- decide/purchase footwear
-TRAIN (I wanted to get the shoes and walk in those, but seeing as we still have snow, there will be no walking in sandals if that's what I'm taking!)

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@TinaPEI I walk in Ecco sandals, mens for width. They were great on the Norte and the Camino Frances. I take breathable (supposedly) waterproof socks in case it gets really cold and wet.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
HI Tina,
I did my first Camino in Teva walking sandles, mostly out of necessity as my shoes were too small once my feet started to expand after walking. That walk was from Leon to Santiago and no issue with my feet. Second walk was Ponferrada to Santiago and alternated between the same sandles and properly fitted walking shoes.
My only caution on sandles is attend to any hot spots usually on top of foot or the side caused by strapes and/or Velcro. Use glide/petroleum jelly or anything that ensures no rubbing. Training in you shoes on various surfaces and terrains will alert you to any irritable spots.
Regarding underwear, I swear by ex-officio travel briefs. No twisting, riding, bunching or any other issue that cause problems. And always dry overnight so two pairs are all you need. I got them on Amazon. Based on your name I assume you are in Canada? If so, my second choice are microfibre underwear available at Marks Work Warehouse. They are seemless, fit well and also dry overnight. They do however slip from time to time.
Enjoy your preparation and Buen Camino.
Diane

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used Teva Lites for 5 days of my CF and covered some really rough terrain and they fine, the rest of the time I wore my Merrell shoes.

I feel like things are settling in well for me. I have my flights books, Orisson is booked, I now have a small camera to take with me, a backpack, small sleeping bag, a few Merino tops etc. No boots or shoes yet, but I am seriously considering wearing sandals. I normally live in sandals all summer long. I struggle with finding shoes that fit; I have really small feet (US size 5.5-6) but need a wide toe box (usually by a 7 to make room for my toes) because of bunions, but I have extremely small heels. I tried on as many Keens as I found close to my size, but they were just either too big, or not wide enough. I think I'll try some trail runners and men's keens to see if they are better, but I may be walking in sandals. Last summer I walked about 145 km in 10 days (in Florida, Walt Disney World - so it's totally different, but all pavement walking) and I didn't get a single blister. My friend tends to get blisters every trip, but not me. I like the kind that you can adjust in 3 different places, and I think that's what helps my feet, because I can adjust them, but still make them tight enough that they stay on my feet - I can't do flip flop style anything. So many things to consider!

Things to do:

- finalize packing list
-TRAIN (I wanted to get the shoes and walk in those, but seeing as we still have snow, there will be no walking in sandals if that's what I'm taking!)

If you are still considering shoes, take a look at Oboz. I am trying a pair from REI because the salesperson said they have almost as wide a toe box as Keens but a more snug heel grip. Like Keens, they do run small.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I will keep looking for the right footwear, but I will make sure to have some kind of walking sandals even if I bring shoes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've found that New Balance has wider toe boxes on their shoes, which is what I need. They make some good trail runners. I just bought a new pair.

Things to do:

- finalize packing list

Last September I walked the mornings in Merrell hiking shoes and used Merrell hiking sandals in the afternoon. I massaged my feet with pedi relax cream twice a day and changed my socks every 3 hours. I always wore my sandals on the descents. I also took ibuprofen before going to bed when needed and always inserted silicon ear plugs before going to sleep, slept like a baby. Walked from St. Jean to Finistere and had very few problems. Will be going back again this September and hope to make it to Muxia. Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back