• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting there

Josefina

Hello everybody, I am a Swedish "lady", turning 50 i august and thought walking the Camino in September would be a great way to celebrate. Only part of it though, I have 10 days to spend, and now my question....I plan to go to Pamplona, ( thinking that it will be easiest to return there when I have to go back home instead of Biarritz), from there on 5 Sept I plan to take a bus in the evening. Anybody knows how late there will be buses to Rocevalle, or perhaps only in the morning? In that case I have to spend the first night in Pamplona. And do you think I will meet people to share the taxi from Rocevalle to SJP as I think it is pretty expensive?
I don´t know really how I got to this homepage, are you people mostly Brittish or Americans? Anyway , I think this homepage holds a lot more information than the Swedish ones do, I am checking the Spanish as well as I heard they are up to date when it comes to the albergues. I have never walked longdistance before, I hope I will be able to at my age...
Godd luck to all of us,
Josefina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Answering my own question....just found this, getting to Pamplona late on Saturday is not a great idea!!!
NUEVO HORARIO DESDE JULIO 2006
•De lunes a viernes: 10.00 y 18.00
•Sábados: 9.30
•Domingos: No hay servicio
•Precio: 3,91 €

Can you get a "multi-city" ticket? (I presume you are flying to Pamplona?) If so, you can fly into Biarritz & then back home from Pamplona. Or if you are taking the train, you can take the train to SJP via Paris. What city do you think you'll end up in at the end of your walk? That will help us come up with alternate suggestions for your return trip home. :)

Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Kelly, I can´t get a multi city ticket since I will go by Spanair to Madrid and Iberia to Pamplona. But I might have to reconsider....I suppose that I will try to walk between 20-30 km a day (for 8 days), I think that's what most peole do, so that´s why I chose Pamplona, (because I wan't get very far!).
But I am now lokking into flights for Sept. 4. Thar way I'd stay Friday night in Palplona and takt the morningbus to Rocevalles and then taxi to SJP. So in that case the next question would be, will i be able to start walking that same Saturday or is it not adviceble to start if you don't do it very early? I suppose SJP would be nice for a day but since I have a short time limit I wouldn't like to "waste" my time.
Saludos, Josefina

Josefina said:
I don´t know really how I got to this homepage, are you people mostly Brittish or Americans? Anyway , I think this homepage holds a lot more information than the Swedish ones do, I am checking the Spanish as well as I heard they are up to date when it comes to the albergues. I have never walked longdistance before, I hope I will be able to at my age...
Godd luck to all of us,
Josefina

Hi Josefina- Welcome!

In answer to your question I believe that there are many nationalities represented on the forum. What I like about this forum is that people from all over the world participate regularly. There probably are a few more American(I mean look at the difference in populations) but I really think that we are equally distributed when it comes to the Brits and the Americans.

And I believe that 50 is not considered old around here. Good Luck!

Nicole

And don't forget us Canadians, lots of us on this forum ( and talk about a difference in population).

Josefina, I cannot help you with your question but I could not resist writing to you anyway, my grandmother, who emigrated to Canada from Sweden in 1910 was named Josefina, she was a spirited, lively lady til the day she died at the good age of 89. That was thirty years ago and I still think of her regularly. I am starting my Camino Sept 12, I am 60 years of age and I cannot wait. I know my grandmother will be with me in spirit.

Alan Peterson
Victoria

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And don't forget those of us from the Antipodes :D
Margaret

Thank you all for your replies. I now decided to go on Sept 3, so that way I´'ll be able to catch the bus to Rocevalles on a Friday and probably start my walking around 12 o'clock on the 5th. I am considering making reservations at the albergue in Orisson since I heard the fist day is really hard and not starting early in the morning I wan't make it to Rocevalles in one day. I do hope I am making the right decisions.
I am also pleased to know 50 is not old around here, I don't feel old, just one or two persons insinuating I wan't be able to do this.....anf to Alan P whose grandmother was also Josefina...I am sure she will be with you as mine will be with me. All those who are/were important to us will be joining us on this camino and I am sure we will all meet peolpe who in the future will be with us in some way or another.
Josefina

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de PerdĂłn has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back