• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting things off my chest post Camino Frances

Stephen Tran

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June - July 18th, 2016
Hi everyone. If you read the thread title aloud it kind of rhymes. I walked the Camino Frances June 7th-July 17th. Wonderful experience, with wonderful people. But I've arrived at home with questions about my life, like what to do with it and where my purpose lies. As soon as I arrived home I knew I didn't want to go back to my job and I actually fell into a slump of procrastination and routine. This was when I realized the Camino has really changed my values, or perhaps defined my values even clearer.

There was also this girl, she was a bartender/waitress. I met her about 2 weeks in, and I never forgot about her. The attraction was obvious between us. I left her on a different continent, without getting her last name, without getting her number or any way to contact her. I have to be honest here, I've fantasized about going back to Spain just to see her at the restaurant she was working at, or sending her flowers from home. I picture what ifs but I'm thankful to have felt those feelings for her and to have had conversation with her. It's almost like she's a pure memory. Forever she lives in my mind at that certain moment in time, a muse for my heart and a name for my rhyme.

My apologies if this made you cringe and/or vomit, I just really had to express this somewhere. Ultreia my friends.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone. If you read the thread title aloud it kind of rhymes. I walked the Camino Frances June 7th-July 17th. Wonderful experience, with wonderful people. But I've arrived at home with questions about my life, like what to do with it and where my purpose lies. As soon as I arrived home I knew I didn't want to go back to my job and I actually fell into a slump of procrastination and routine. This was when I realized the Camino has really changed my values, or perhaps defined my values even clearer.

There was also this girl, she was a bartender/waitress. I met her about 2 weeks in, and I never forgot about her. The attraction was obvious between us. I left her on a different continent, without getting her last name, without getting her number or any way to contact her. I have to be honest here, I've fantasized about going back to Spain just to see her at the restaurant she was working at, or sending her flowers from home. I picture what ifs but I'm thankful to have felt those feelings for her and to have had conversation with her. It's almost like she's a pure memory. Forever she lives in my mind at that certain moment in time, a muse for my heart and a name for my rhyme.

My apologies if this made you cringe and/or vomit, I just really had to express this somewhere. Ultreia my friends.
To put it simply give yourself some time to reflect, let time give some wisdom.
Keith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The very best part of the Camino is having no responsibility for anything other than yourself, your laundry, a bed, and a meal. Do not confuse that with life! Making changes is a good thing, but be sure they are changes and not just a retreat from life. As an official old person, I can say that life is harder than I ever expected it to be.

And that is what I love about it. Well, that and dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Stephen, I think that your poetic title and your restless heart reveal your hopeful romanticism. Map out a plan to save for a follow up trip to Spain focusing on the location where you met her. Set the date around the holidays or soonest you can take vacation. Set a decision date 3 weeks prior. Your heart will tell you what the decision should be. In the mean time let your creative self run free.

The very best part of the Camino is having not responsibility for anything other than yourself, your laundry, a bed, and a meal. Do not confuse that with life! Making changes is a good thing, but be sure they are changes and not just a retreat from life. As an official old person, I can say that life is harder than I ever expected it to be.

Wise words Falcon.

Though I have to say, 14 months on from since my first and most profound Camino, and 4 months on from this year's mini Camino, I am still struggling. Big time.

Being at work is a constant struggle. But I take your point that the danger can be a 'retreat from life'. But to be fair, maybe it's more a retreat from the life we have.......to a better one. One that we realise is there for the taking. That's the real challenge. Bringing the lessons and joys of the Camino, to your present and future life.

Not easy, but a journey and a change I am trying to make.

The Camino really should come with a Health Warning I think! ;)

Undertaking this journey may cause you to question your life and true purpose, to the extent that you are no longer happy with what you have. In extreme cases, causing you to roam over North Western Spain annually like an Albatross that has lost it's way.

Sounds to me like you need to plan another Camino Stephen ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

August 14, 1973, well before computers and the Internet, I met a beautiful French Canadian lady at a small pension in the outskirts of Athens, Greece. The attraction was strong but time was limited. Sadly she had to return to Montreal and her career. I did not get her address nor phone number, and continued on, at least for a while. Then, after months of trying to find her, long distance, I did. We have been married 40+ years. She cannot walk the Camino, but she met me in SdC when I completed mine last year and will join me again this November when I finish my second Camino.

First, congrats on finishing your Camino dude. About your post Camino Blues? I hear ya brother. Travel changes you. Gets you outside your comfort zone. Opens up your world. Feel those feelings. Listen to that little voice. It speaks the truth. It's telling you to perhaps change course in your life. Remember, at the end of your life, it's not the things you do that you regret, it's the things you don't do. About the girl you left in Spain?...I've been there too. Those kind of encounters are always magical. You'll remember it forever. But all is not lost. If you know the name of the restaurant she worked at, perhaps you can find it on the Internet, and email them and find her that way. Translate it into Spanish. Attach a picture of yourself. Hey, you never know. I once tracked down a woman I met briefly in Taiwan. After I returned to NY, I couldn't stop thinking about her. All I knew was that she was writing a cookbook. Thanks to the Internet, I found the cookbook, and the publisher, and sent a letter. And they forwarded it to her. We are still in touch to this day.

Wise words Falcon.

Though I have to say, 14 months on from since my first and most profound Camino, and 4 months on from this year's mini Camino, I am still struggling. Big time.

Being at work is a constant struggle. But I take your point that the danger can be a 'retreat from life'. But to be fair, maybe it's more a retreat from the life we have.......to a better one. One that we realise is there for the taking. That's the real challenge. Bringing the lessons and joys of the Camino, to your present and future life.

Undertaking this journey may cause you to question your life and true purpose, to the extent that you are no longer happy with what you have. In extreme cases, causing you to roam over North Western Spain annually like an Albatross that has lost it's way.

@Robo
I think that a time of major life change is the ideal time to walk the camino. And you might as well be prepared for such a change, since it is likely to arrive as a result of your pilgrimage, whether you thought you were looking for it or not.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Robo
I think that a time of major life change is the ideal time to walk the camino. And you might as well be prepared for such a change, since it is likely to arrive as a result of your pilgrimage, whether you thought you were looking for it or not.

Not another mid life crisis! :eek:
I've had enough of them already :oops:

Not another mid life crisis! :eek:
I've had enough of them already :oops:
@Robo
Actually, I was thinking more of life stages: eg. after finishing university with no clear career to begin, or at retirement, when you don't know what to do with the rest of your life. But if you are addicted to mid life crises, don't let me discourage you.

The very best part of the Camino is having not responsibility for anything other than yourself, your laundry, a bed, and a meal. Do not confuse that with life! Making changes is a good thing, but be sure they are changes and not just a retreat from life. As an official old person, I can say that life is harder than I ever expected it to be.

The Camino is not to be confused with life but Life happens on the Camino... perhaps it's the very simplicity of Walk, Eat, Sleep (Pray/Meditate) Repeat that gives us the space for light to get through to unexplored corners and forgotten dreams.

Stephen there's another thread on this forum Transformation and the Camino which shows that you are not alone in your post Camino blues. If you can bear and just observe your discomfort, time will distill something lasting from your experience.

I wish you well in your search for your friend. You'll never know what might or could be so take a chance and follow your heart.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll share a story with you Stephen. I finished the Camino July 23rd this year so this is fairly recent. I met a bartender in an Albergue who seemed totally at peace with himself. Great conversationalist, great conversations. Many stories were shared between the two of us. Here's one: He was walking the Camino one day. Fell in love with a bartender. Came back. Married her. Lived happily ever after serving peregrinos with his wife.

Follow your heart; you never know.

I agree. Not everything bout the Camino has to be this life changing revelation. But I do find that with travel in particular, when you remove yourself from your familiar surroundings, that certain Things can become clearer. Sometimes in life we have a tendency to get caught up in the daily grind, and can lose touch with our true inner feelings. With what we truly want out of life. I think it's essential to step away every now and then, and lose/find yourself in travel, or some kind of activity. For me it's surfing. But whatever it is, I think it's so important. Doesn't mean you have to radically change your life when you come back. But it's healthy to get away from the familiar and meditate on what one wants out of life.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only one hope, come back and walk it again ! You want some time to think things over? Do the Le Puy or Vezlay Caminos. A sure fire cure!
The Le Puy to Santiago camino Changed me in a way that I could never "recover" until today.

I was going through some "change gate" of my life back then. Maybe I'm trying to escape from reality but I always have the feeling there is always a gate through the path of our lifes that can enable us to change something for better.

These changes can be very thorough or shallow, they can be very easy to put down in words (change in career, divorce, new love, etc) or it can take years just for you to realize that something has changed during your camino, just to make you think for another 2 or 3 years until you find what really happened back there.

I went for my first camino (Pamplona to SjPP and then to Finisterra) as an adventure for my early 20's...

and from the camino, I have never returned... We - human beings- question ourserves way too much... And we all want to be unique somehow....

Forgive me for the cliche but... You may say I'm a dreamer but, I'm not the only one :)

We're all dreamers... We walk in a dream for changes, for simplicity and for... escape...

I thank the camino for the many good changes it has brought to my life ( most positive ones) but, I'm also concerned about how " addicted" I'm to escape from this real life which does not fulfill me at all...

Another dream? sure! We cannot ever fulfill our lives completely;

...we've got to question things and - most important: We've got to question ourselves.

The Le Puy to Finisterra route give you plenty of time for that...

Well.. enough with the rambling writing...

It's just that the above posts made me reflect...

I'll be leaving for one more camino this next late november and, I'm a bit concerned on all this escape/changing expectations and outcomes...

My plan will be to have no plans and, I'll be praying to be able to come back and still move on with reality!

PS: All my previous caminos had major life-changing outcomes: Divorce, Healing, Career shift, etc

Buen Camino de la Vida for everyone!

Ultreia

I quite understand Stephen on this. I have just made a list and realize that, in my time, I have fallen irretrievably for 3 bartenders, 4 waitresses, 2 receptionists, an olive-skinned doctoral student in canon law, a hairdresser, an Ecuardorian doctor, and two members of the Guardia Civil.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's a crap shoot, only the OP has the answer. Good thing he hasn't yet realized a person could fall in love on any & all continents. :)

Hey Stephen, I know how you feel on both counts. I walked my second Camino, SJPdP to Finisterre, from April 4 to May 15 this year and I am sure my DNA has been modified irreversibly by the experience. Along the Way I met an extraordinary lady named Danese from São Paulo, Brazil. We met on April 14 at Belorado and walked together a bit over the next few days. Unfortunately I lost contact with her on the big elastic band that is the CF, and even more unfortunately did not exchange any contact details with her. I will definitely return to the Camino, most likely Porto to SdC via Muxia next year. Will I ever be able to contact Danese? Highly unlikely I guess, but if anyone out there on the Forum ran into her on the CF between early April and around May 9 I would love to pass on my contact details to her. Otherwise our meeting will remain a lovely Camino memory for me. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I quite understand Stephen on this. I have just made a list and realize that, in my time, I have fallen irretrievably for 3 bartenders, 4 waitresses, 2 receptionists, an olive-skinned doctoral student in canon law, a hairdresser, an Ecuardorian doctor, and two members of the Guardia Civil.

hahaha:rolleyes::):D...... you guys make for a good movie :)

@Robo
Actually, I was thinking more of life stages: eg. after finishing university with no clear career to begin, or at retirement, when you don't know what to do with the rest of your life. But if you are addicted to mid life crises, don't let me discourage you.

I agree. I always hated that expression, "midlife crisis". Even when I was in my 20s it bothered me. Now that I'm in my 40s, I really hate it! Lol. Seriously, I just don't like when others try to label another's actions. People hardly know themselves, so to make judgements about the motives of other people just seems so absurd and pointless to me. Figure out what motivates you and let others figure out what motivates them. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Stephen, I know how you feel on both counts. I walked my second Camino, SJPdP to Finisterre, from April 4 to May 15 this year and I am sure my DNA has been modified irreversibly by the experience. Along the Way I met an extraordinary lady named Danese from São Paulo, Brazil. We met on April 14 at Belorado and walked together a bit over the next few days. Unfortunately I lost contact with her on the big elastic band that is the CF, and even more unfortunately did not exchange any contact details with her. I will definitely return to the Camino, most likely Porto to SdC via Muxia next year. Will I ever be able to contact Danese? Highly unlikely I guess, but if anyone out there on the Forum ran into her on the CF between early April and around May 9 I would love to pass on my contact details to her. Otherwise our meeting will remain a lovely Camino memory for me. Buen Camino.
Hey @JMac56 ... I know its a looong shot but, I'm currently living in Sao Paulo Brazil. Have you got any other information about Denese? Maybe.... just Maybe... Well, we never know... Through the association of the camino de santiago in BRazil, or even facebook...

Anyway, I wish you good luck!

Buen Camino! :)

:) Ok even though many of us never would admit to romance, the simple truth from my perspective is that all or the majority I believe have & keep a softer heart from this experience. It was simply a respectable love fest that happens to include world. No wonder we can't wait to return or continue to check in on this forum. It is as close to a brotherhood/sisterhood that many of us find, incredible compared to our daily lives. A bit of heaven it is. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wise words Falcon.

Right on!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
August 14, 1973, well before computers and the Internet, I met a beautiful French Canadian lady at a small pension in the outskirts of Athens, Greece. The attraction was strong but time was limited. Sadly she had to return to Montreal and her career. I did not get her address nor phone number, and continued on, at least for a while. Then, after months of trying to find her, long distance, I did. We have been married 40+ years. She cannot walk the Camino, but she met me in SdC when I completed mine last year and will join me again this November when I finish my second Camino.
how utterly romantic and so lovely, buen Camino <3

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Stephen, hola! I think it is a great gift to have had the wonderful and life changing experience of walking the Camino. With change comes a certain unrest, pain. When all that is familiar and safe gets shaken up, tossed out of the usual order that was your life, it is easy to cling to something else that 'feels' good. Time will only tell what is genuine and what only glimmers as gold. Allow yourself time to set a new course.

Ah, regret and longing for what might have been. Haven't we all been there? But then again, it's easy to believe that the road not taken would lead to a happy ending, while we already know where the road taken has led us. So follow your heart if you can; otherwise give gratitude for the memory and let it go.

Such a Sweet and Romantic Story. @Buz Radican , I hope you could tell us How did you find her! A great challenge in those days.
Best

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

No that was very sweet, and for those of us who are single...we probably always wonder, where will be meet him or her...Flowers!!!

Such a Sweet and Romantic Story. @Buz Radican , I hope you could tell us How did you find her! A great challenge in those days.
Best
A lot of money in international phone calls (I was on a ship stationed for 6 months in the Mediterranean) and a whole lot of luck. She was a young widow and I did not even have her correct last name. I did know where she had worked, Canadian Broadcasting, but without the right last name, it was a challenge. I took about two months of calling strangers and asking them if they knew the girl I was seeking. Finally one did. I hope Stephen is able to follow his dream, wherever it leads.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
She wasn't a waitress. She was actually at the casa he was staying at. She is from outside Hontana just past Burgos. Her mother owns a Casa royal named El Molino. Her mother Milagros is a amazing host , chef and her gr8 casa is in the middle of nowhere but they'll come get you. I stayed there in 4/2013 and her mother brought out the photo album of the wedding of her daughter to Martin Sheen's grandson. Amazing casa..and the food too. Also has posters of The Way with their signatures.
They claim that while filming, "The Way", Martin sheens Grandson met a waitress at a bar on the Camino that he later married

Last edited:
That is more than a claim. I stayed at the inn that Sheen's grandmother in law runs. Great place, great food, and great stories about Sheen and the wedding. You never know what will happen on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

There was also this girl, she was a bartender/waitress. I met her about 2 weeks in, and I never forgot about her. The attraction was obvious between us. I left her on a different continent, without getting her lausst name, without getting her number or any way to contact her. I have to be honest here, I've fantasized about going back to Spain just to see her at the restaurant she was working at, or sending her flowers from home. I picture what ifs but I'm thankful to have felt those feelings for her and to have had conversation with her. It's almost like she's a pure memory. Forever she lives in my mind at that certain moment in time, a muse for my heart and a name for my rhyme.

Steven, thank you for opening up your heart and sharing this special moment with us. Obviously you find yourself at an intersection, both professionally and personally. My take? If you truly believe this brief interlude was shared, then I would follow your instinct and go back to Spain to see if what you felt is real. If, that is indeed the case, follow that path to see where it takes you. Life leads us in mysterious ways, enjoy your journey. Richard

I did my first section of the Camino 10 years ago and have been longing to return ever since. When I came home, I was really working through some things - wanting to bring the Camino experience home with me. I tried writing about it: http://practicalshoes.blogspot.com/2013/06/el-camino.html and tried creating my own mini Camino here in California. My goal was to return and do the entire Camino Frances. Life responsibilities came up, however, and I never made it back. This October, I'm finally heading over to continue where I left off and do the next section. Some day, I hope to complete the Camino - either a section at a time, or all at once.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I finished my first Camino about a month ago, and since then I've kept in touch with many of the people I met along the way. We loved each other and changed each other for the better, but I don't think I'll ever see them again. The shortest bonds are the strongest! Sounds like you're going through some Camino Withdrawal. I think most people do, that's what makes this way so profound. You're lucky it hit you so hard!

Good luck :)

Hi Stephen
Im glad your Camino moved you.
Lets be philosophical here, everything happens for a reason, so follow it.
Get in touch with the restaurant and try and contact her.
On a more practical level, maybe you were just more open to new people while on your journey, so keep that in mind as you go through your days.
Mary

Best

Yes, it would be interesting. There are always ways. Years ago, I met a girl and didn't catch her last name, just her first. So, I went through the phone book looking at first names and eventually found her. I asked her out and she accepted. Later, she accepted my proposal of marriage. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Hey @JMac56 ... I know its a looong shot but, I'm currently living in Sao Paulo Brazil. Have you got any other information about Denese? Maybe.... just Maybe... Well, we never know... Through the association of the camino de santiago in BRazil, or even facebook...
Anyway, I wish you good luck!
Buen Camino! :)

Olá vlebe. I have sent you a personal message, i.e. started a Conversation. I look forward to hearing from you. Bom Caminho. :)

Back from five week camino. Almost impossible to focus on work. My home feels like a strangers house. Caminos are amazing things but they can certainly change things. I'm still processing if I'm missing the companionship and simplicity of life there or are genuinely unhappy with my life here.
I hope time will tell.
Someone says the more open we are the more we get out of it. Someone else said be glad it affected you so much. But it sure feels very disorientating and depressing to be home. And romances on camino can be life altering events. I'm over a month home now and I'm still feeling like a stranger in my own life.

But I'm sure I'll be walking again soon. I want to feel like I'm living.
It's nice to read that others are having similar emotions.

How sweet. I would love to hear how the story progresses if it does. Continued Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@ggtree if you look at the date of the post you will see the post was written over two years ago.

Beautiful story Stephen, thank you for sharing. For what it's worth, I met a bartender on my first Camino and stayed at the bar long into the night listening to him share his story. He had a similar experience to yours, but went home, packed it all in and returned to court and marry the bartender whose family just happened to own the Albergue she was bar-tending in. He's living the dream.

My advice to you, for what it's worth. Walk another Camino!!

Food for the journey.
Buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back