• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting through/around Pamplona during San Fermin

Sho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, 2019, 2022, 2023; Inglés 2024
I'd appreciate strategies for navigating through Pamplona or around it during San Fermin. A map showing where Camino traffic is detoured would be great. In addition, will there be buses and taxis, or should I assume my only way from East to West is on foot? Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
It’s easy to bypass central Pamplona to avoid the festivities; the challenge is finding available housing since the in-town albergues are repurposed and nearby hotels are full. Plan carefully and it won’t be an issue. The festivities go all night and then take a break after the morning bull run, so walking through during siesta works best (but it can be hot!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I walked with my son in 2016, we passed through Pamplona during San Fermin. At that point, we were walking 15 km days (which we did from Roncesvalles to Puente la Reina as "on the Camino training" since we hadn't trained before the Camino). So we stopped at Trinidad de Arre and stayed at the nice albergue there, about 5 km before Pamplona. Then we walked through Pamplona in the morning and on to Zariquiegui the next day. The day after that we walked to Puente la Reina, detouring to see Eunate.

One thing to be aware of, if you are passing through Pamplona during the fiesta, is that the encierro (the running of the bulls) uses some of the same streets as the Camino. So they will be blocked off in the morning. If you are just walking through, you will need to detour around. Of course, if you are spending some time in Pamplona, this won't be an issue. We walked and it wasn't hard to find a route with the map of the city in our guidebooks or with Google maps.

Another thing is that to pass through Pamplona in the early morning during the San Fermin fiesta is to see the city at its worst, all messed up by a full night's partying before they've had a chance to clean it up at all. The afternoon is a much better time to see the city.

Thank you. I looked at the earlier posts and didn't see a map of the route for the running of the bulls (though I did see a map of possible detours). At the moment I have reservations before and after Pamplona, but it's 22 miles between them and I'd like to be as efficient as possible.

I do not think, that you will have to walk 22 Miles to avoid Sanfermines. There are albergues in Trinidad del Arre and Huarte (few kms before Pamplona) and albergues in Cizur Menor (5 km behind Pamplona) as well.

But Pamplona itself will be at an exception and will be crowded even at noon. Best chance will be to cross the town during the Siesta hours.

BC
Alexandra

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope not, but 22 miles is the closest together that I can find to reserve in advance, unless I want to stay in an expensive hotel in Zizar Mayor.

I would suggest taking a taxi once you reach Trinidad del Arre to the base of the hill up to Alto del Perdon. The entire distance is city walking on hard surfaces and the town is a drunken mosh pit during the day and night.

The bull route is quite short actually, basically from the corrals near the train tracks past city hall and onto the arena. It’s only closed in the morning, but the central city can be crowded all day.

If you don’t enter the “old city” then you’ll avoid it. Given the Camino route into and out of Pamplona, it’s possible to skirt it completely by adding a few km to your day by staying north or south of the route. (Skirting the drunks, on the other hand, may prove more difficult than the bulls....)

PS: a shoutout to the nuns and kind folks at Zabaldika donativo albergue a bit before Pamplona. You can’t reserve it, but you’re missing a gem if you don’t stay there.

AB639E7D-6AD7-4362-8E0D-BFDD1647559A.png

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My friend and I walked through Pamplona during San Fermín. We stayed at Albergue Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor where I had reserved via email. It was actually quite fun walking through town with everyone celebrating and wearing their white and red clothing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a follow-up--I contacted Maribel Roncal, but they asked for a wire transfer. I bank with a credit union that doesn't have international wire transfer services. Western Union will only send to an individual, not a business. I went to Charles Schwab and can open an account there, but they will only put money in an account with a cashier's check (no cash, no personal checks, apparently no domestic bank transfers), and they then charge $25 for an international wire transfer, and I can't make the transfer until 10 business days from opening the account, which is later than Maribel Roncal is giving me to pay. I've written to see if they have a Paypal option. With the albergue's San Fermin rate, the cashier's check, and the wire transfer, I'm now looking at about $66 if I want to stay in this albergue (assuming I can even work it out, which I'm not hopeful about).

As a follow-up--I contacted Maribel Roncal, but they asked for a wire transfer.
Really? That's new since I booked in 2017. The only requirement that she had then was that we arrive by 3 pm. I met people who were able to get into Casa Paderborn in Pamplona, which doesn't take reservations. I'd say that at least a third of the pilgrims that I walked with at that time were unaware of San Fermín.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know if the albergues in Trinidad de Arres and Zariquiegui take reservations but we got spots in them without trouble without reservations during San Fermin.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.