• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to an airport from Burgos

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Hello!

I am starting to plan our Camino - me, husband and our sons aged 9 and 12. Due to time constraints and the fact that we want to make it an enjoyable experience for our sons we will be doing our Camino in stages over 3-4 years (from Australia)

We will be flying in to Paris and either catching a train or plane down to SJPdP. I am thinking of going as far as Burgos.

I am after advice on the best way to get to an international airport - either Paris or Spain (it doesn't matter) from Burgos OR is there a more convenient town that we should aim for on our last day.

I haven't worked out the finer details of our walking time - we are leaving Oz March 20 2018 and aiming to catch a flight home no later than 12 April (a day or 2 earlier would be better).

I will post this question separately, but would love to hear any experiences of walking in March and walking with children.

Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife and I walked SJPDP to Burgos last year. There's a regular bus service that goes from Burgos to Madrid airport T4. Journey time is 2:30. Bus station is central - I believe the train station is further.

https://www.alsa.es/en/home

We're starting again in a few weeks time from Burgos - fly to /Madrid, bus to Burgos - then walk to Leon/Ponferada.

Buen Camino

Thanks Rich1, that's great news. I would be interested in your progress, you are traveling around the same time (one year apart - we are planning to leave 12 months from today)

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello!

I am starting to plan our Camino - me, husband and our sons aged 9 and 12. Due to time constraints and the fact that we want to make it an enjoyable experience for our sons we will be doing our Camino in stages over 3-4 years (from Australia)

We will be flying in to Paris and either catching a train or plane down to SJPdP. I am thinking of going as far as Burgos.

I am after advice on the best way to get to an international airport - either Paris or Spain (it doesn't matter) from Burgos OR is there a more convenient town that we should aim for on our last day.

I haven't worked out the finer details of our walking time - we are leaving Oz March 20 2018 and aiming to catch a flight home no later than 12 April (a day or 2 earlier would be better).

I will post this question separately, but would love to hear any experiences of walking in March and walking with children.

Thank you.
Hello, you can also check the ROME2RIO website.
Wish you well,Peter.

Burgos train station is fairly new and situated outside the city. There are buses from Burgos to the station.

I also took that bus last Sept. Departure was delayed for 1 hr which causing temporary stress & got to T4 just in time for the my departure.
I'll be taking the Alsa bus from Astorga to Madrid Barajas T4 again when I'll finish the next leg of my camino (Burgos-Astorga) this June.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We also took the bus from Burgos to Madrid -- fortunately left right on time! The station is a short walk from the Cathedral, just through the city gates and a few blocks down the main street. We walked over the afternoon before to buy tickets and just generally "see what the deal is." The bus was comfortable, the ride was pleasant, and we arrived at the airport right on time. Buen Camino!

Burgos train station is fairly new and situated outside the city. There are buses from Burgos to the station.
They moved it? Used to be just across the river right after leaving the casco historico.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes - right on the NE edge of town not too far from the airport. Wide open land on 3 sides. Feels very strange and unlikely for the major station of a city the size of Burgos.
Good to know, thank you. So is it still walking distance from the cathedral? I don't know where the airport is.

It's rather like an airport terminal building. Having been on the train all day travelling to Burgos it seemed like a good idea to walk those kms from the station into the city,
....................................it wasn't!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good to know, thank you. So is it still walking distance from the cathedral? I don't know where the airport is.

@anemone I'd be careful about using the phrase "walking distance" on this forum - Calais to Rome was within walking distance for me but it took me a while :) Google Maps makes it 5.5km from the station to the cathedral by the most direct route. Wouldn't want to do it in a hurry.

@anemone I'd be careful about using the phrase "walking distance" on this forum - Calais to Rome was within walking distance for me but it took me a while :) Google Maps makes it 5.5km from the station to the cathedral by the most direct route. Wouldn't want to do it in a hurry.
Very true!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Who came up with that idea? Thanks for the info.
Probably tied up with the new high-speed train lines popping up all over Spain. They need a lot of space and the old tracks just aren't up to the job. Easier to build brand new lines and stations in a lot of places than to upgrade the existing ones. Building a new line through Burgos itself would have been a nightmare politically and logistically.

Exactly!
And the J.Briefley map made it look easier than it was.
Finally when we eventually rocked up in the centre of old Burgos I was so excited to see a distant yellow arrow that I promptly tripped on a shallow kerb and fell flat on my face propelled by the rucksack on my back. Fortunately I suffered only bruising and no teeth or glasses were broken but it was not the best way to start that section of the C.F.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!

Thank you.

The best option is the ALSA bus from downtown Burgos to Madrid.

2nd best is take the ALSA bus to Bilbao. Bilbao is major Euro-connected airport.

3rd best is take ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian or Renfe train from Burgos to Irun/Hendaye.

Take Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun Renfe Station.

Take Euskotren/Metro Donostealdea from Irun Colon Station to Hendaia. (or walk 3 km)

Take SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Paris.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back