• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Biarritz

Sharonih

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
I am a Canadian newbie so apologies if this is being done wrong, I am searching for the best way to get from the West coast of Canada to Biarritz. I am figuring flying to
Gatwick then from Gatwick to Biarritz, then traveling some way to SJP. Has anyone any suggestions on what is the most economical way of dong this? other than walking of course. Thanks in advance for your hints and suggestions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Air France to Biarritz airport, which is also close to Bayonne. If you buy a single ticket all the way, rather than using budget airlines for the European leg, you have a guarantee in case the first flight is late. The extra cost is not great. I have never had much success in finding budget airline routes that save much money on the trip from Vancouver to Europe. Especially in March.

From the Biarritz/Bayonne airport you can get a city bus into Bayonne, stay overnight, and get the train to SJPP. It is quite simple.

Yes definitely book entire flight including connections with same airline. From Biarritz airport it's only 25-mins by bus to Bayonne train station (leaving every half hour from outside arrivals). There are 4 trains per day to SJPP (the journey takes an hour); you can check for times on SNCF site.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am a Canadian newbie so apologies if this is being done wrong, I am searching for the best way to get from the West coast of Canada to Biarritz. I am figuring flying to
Gatwick then from Gatwick to Biarritz, then traveling some way to SJP. Has anyone any suggestions on what is the most economical way of dong this? other than walking of course. Thanks in advance for your hints and suggestions.

Hi, I live on Vancouver Island also. This past May I did Air Transat from Vancouver to Paris, then Easy Jet to Biarritz. Overnighted, bussed the next morning to Bayonne and trained to SJPP. The time before, I did the same, except overnighted in Paris and was picked up in Biarritz with Express Bourricot to SJPP. All in all, if you are trying to save money, Air Transat was the cheapest and the add on for Easy Jet was not very much. Happy planning. L.

Hi,
I am from Vancouver Island and I just got back. I went via Westjet from Vancouver (direct) to Gatwick, then Easyjet to Biarritz. No overnighting needed. While waiting to get on and off the plane we noticed three other passengers who looked like pilgrims (dressed for walking, backpacks, they have 'the' look). By the time we cleared customs we were a group. One man spoke A bit of Spanish and figured out which bus to get to the train station, and then bought our tickets at half price since we were considered a group!
I would recommend staying your fist night at Orison. That first mountain is to be respected. We are so glad we took it in two stages. Plus, dinner at Orisin was wonderful, both the food and the chance to meet everyone and to know people that you would meet and greet time and time again.
Been Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I flew WestJet from Calgary to London Gatwick then flew EasyJet to Biarritz. A quick taxi ride to overnight in Bayonne and the train the following day to SJPdP. Easy flights, convenient and well priced.
The hike on the first day over the Great Pyrenees is a bit of a challenge but can be done in 7 hrs or less. It will leave you feeling like you can accomplish anything in life.
Enjoy your journey and Buen Camino.

Hi @Sharonih - Another option for you: I just booked air canada from YVR TO Madrid for CAN$1,000 return which is about the cheapest I’ve ever found for a 16-hour trip (I’ve occasionally found cheaper but trip time was 45-60 hours...) From there a easy train or bus to Pamplona and either a bus or taxi to SJPDP. You can set up alerts with sky scanner too for routes to Paris, London, Lisbon, Barcelona and Madrid and wait for the right deal come to you.

Best way is probably to fly Ryanair from Stansted to Biarritz. I’ve done this more than once and flights are cheap

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not sure of your budget but here is what I do;
Start with finding a cheap flight to anywhere in EU. Once found, open another window and look at ways of getting to the end point from the end of first flight. Remember, this is an adventure.

My first trip, I left home, got on a city bus to a point in town where I could catch a train to Montreal. Time is important for connections but I was happy with taking a few extra days to get where I was going. Montreal to Dublin via Rejkavik with WOW Air, cost was C$419. Spent 10 days in Ireland then took the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, Wales, overnight in a B&B and then train to London for a couple of days.

I planned to spend two days in Paris but as there had been a terror incident just a few days earlier, I started getting antsy and booked a C$200 flight from Stanstead to Biarritz with RyanAir.

Upon arrival, I walked out the airport doors, approached the first four pilgrims with backpacks and asked,"St. Jean?" We filled a cab, paid 25 euro each and an hour later, we were in St. Jean Pied de Port. One had been there before and showed us the Pilgrim Office and where to stay overnght. This got me on the road a full day ahead and made friends with four Pilgrims before starting the Camino.

On the return, I booked Aer Lingus from Santiago to Dublin EU200 and then Westjet to Toronto for C$450.

Down side: Gave up tent pegs bought in Dublin at Stanstead but was gifted some at Orrison by an Australian Pilgrim. I still have those.

In 2018, I will look at other possibilities, this time from Toronto as I have seen rates as low as C$340.00 from Toronto to Lisbon. Stops can include Madrid, Barcelona as well as Paris. There may also be some cheap possibilities by using USA based air flights, ie Seattle to Paris or Madrid?

Now, once in EU, bus and train transport are usually very economical and very flexible. As an example, I had to cut off my first Camino before Pamplona. I boarded a bus from Zubiri to Pamplona, then to Bilbao then to Santiago in about 20 hours, including transfers. It cost 72EU.

I am certain, even from Van that there is a good combination out there for you. Charter One Way Flights may work best for getting there and wing it on the way home, possibly? It is really the only way to keep return date open and flexible.

Charter One Way Flights may work best for getting there
I seriously don't know where one would find reliable charter one way trips from Vancouver to Europe. Yes from Toronto or Montreal, But you have to get to and from those cities, and that is not trivial. However, I am not complaining about airfares, which i consider to be ridiculously low compared to years past.

I seriously don't know where one would find reliable charter one way trips from Vancouver to Europe. Yes from Toronto or Montreal, But you have to get to and from those cities, and that is not trivial. However, I am not complaining about airfares, which i consider to be ridiculously low compared to years past.
C Clearly - Air Transat has worked for me both times. They actually feed you and give you a glass of wine!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone know about the bus which travels from Albergue Jakue in Puenta la Reina to Biarritz airport. I cannot seem to get any information on it and yet I have been told about it. One o our party will be going back from there on a Saturday and we want to book if possible.

Does anyone know about the bus which travels from Albergue Jakue in Puenta la Reina to Biarritz airport. I cannot seem to get any information on it and yet I have been told about it. One o our party will be going back from there on a Saturday and we want to book if possible.

Not aware of any bus going directly to Biarritz that passes the albergue, but the main Spanish bus company, Alsa, goes to Biarritz Airport from Pamplona leaving at 11am every day, arriving at airport 12:55 (ticket costs €14.95). It only takes about half an hour to get to Pamplona; a number of bus companies do the trip throughout the day starting around 7am (e.g. La Estellesa, Conda, Samar, and even Alsa but less frequently), so your friend shouldn't have a problem getting to the bus station on time!

Thank you so much this is really good information

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back