• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Camino Del Norte from UK

fulhamsam

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Planning Camino Del Norte
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way to get to the start of Camino Del Norte from UK. I'm planning to do 2 weeks at the end of this month from Irun to Santander (or as far as i get). My question is what is the best way to get to the start? There are flights to Biarritz from Stansted (which is hard for me to get to), and also flights to Bilbao from Gatwick (easier for me to get to). Is it easy getting to the start from either of these airports? Any recommended routes?
Also can you pick up the credential in Irun easily? I did the Frances in 2017 and got one easily in Saint Jean but not sure if similar in Irun?
Grateful for any help! Sam

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way to get to the start of Camino Del Norte from UK. I'm planning to do 2 weeks at the end of this month from Irun to Santander (or as far as i get). My question is what is the best way to get to the start? There are flights to Biarritz from Stansted (which is hard for me to get to), and also flights to Bilbao from Gatwick (easier for me to get to). Is it easy getting to the start from either of these airports? Any recommended routes?
Also can you pick up the credential in Irun easily? I did the Frances in 2017 and got one easily in Saint Jean but not sure if similar in Irun?
According to Rome2Rio, from Bilbao to Irun there are frequent buses by Alsa (every 2h cost ~€7) and Flixbus (3x a day).

Probably worth spending the day/night in San Sebastián and then head to Irun to start the walk the next day?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend Bilbao. Then take a bus to San Sebastian. What you could to is your stay in a hostel in San Sebastián, get the early bus to Irun, leaving your bag at San Sebastián hostel, and walk the quite tough day without a bag! Accommodation tended to be pricier in Irun than San Sebastián when I went (not sure if that always the case) so it’s a win win!

Go to a C of E cathedral in England - you can get a passport at the gift shop. It has staples in the middle, so like a proper passport, and looks way cooler than what everyone else has.

It's meant for collecting stamps from all the cathedrals in England, so my first stamp was York Minster, my second St Wilfred's RC Church opposite. The lady at the desk had to go to the priests' office to find it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rail travel is by Euskotren. Bilbao Airport to San Sebastian and then Irun.

From the French side it is Bayone to Hendaye on SNCF.

Choice will be whichever airport is the easier/cheaper for you.

With regards to getting your Camino passport, I recently got mine (by donation) in the Albergue de peregrinos Jakobi in Irun. Staff are very helpful and they have some maps etc. there as well.

Buen Camino!

€60,-
We went via the train from Paris to Irun and walked over the bridge late at night. We knew getting passports was not easy there so bought via the forum instead. worked out great.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have suggested, an alternative would be to take the train (from Paris) to Bayonne. I started walking there. It is signed. Though you could take a train from Bayonne to Irun. You could get a credential in Bayonne Cathedral 4 years ago. The Cathedral is beautiful and a worthy starting point. I prefer to avoid flying and all the fuss and guilt that goes with it. French railways are generally reliable, regular, comfortable and good value. Admittedly it probably adds a couple of days to the trip and may cost a bit more but was suitable for me. And you see more of France of course.

Hi, I'm starting the Norte in August flying from Heathrow to San Sebastian via Madrid with BA/Iberia. The airport is very close to Irun

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Easy jet London Bordeaux and then by train to Irun. There are good hotels in the immediate surroundings of the station

Hi, we flew from Gatwick to Biarritz on the 26/4. We then shared a ride through Express Bourricot to SJPDP. Checked out their website as you have to book and they are busy, or call them on +34 661 960 476

That said I alway advocate a train journey!
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way to get to the start of Camino Del Norte from UK. I'm planning to do 2 weeks at the end of this month from Irun to Santander (or as far as i get). My question is atwick what is the best way to get to the start? There are flights to Biarritz from Stansted (which is hard for me to get to), and also flights to Bilbao from Gatwick (easier for me to get to). Is it easy getting to the start from either of these airports? Any recommended routes?
Hi! I think the best would be to fly from Gatwick to San Sebastian.. the airport is a walk dstance from Irun. As I know you have flights by Vueling which are very cheap .. I start Camino del norte in Irun on 21st of May arriving from Venice to San Sebastian!
Maybe see each other on the way… 🤗

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not useful for your first section, but for when you return to do another bit of the Norte:
I successfully flew from Heathrow to Aviles airport (via Madrid). The airport is practically on the Camino path.
Also the rail service which runs along the north coast was a delight.

Not useful for your first section, but for when you return to do another bit of the Norte:
I successfully flew from Heathrow to Aviles airport (via Madrid). The airport is practically on the Camino path.
Also the rail service which runs along the north coast was a delight.
Hi, we took EurostR London to Paris first thing in the morning then the afternoon train to Bayonne, as others have said there is a bus service to Hendre and you can just walk across the bridge into Irun, the cost was only slightly more expensive than Ryanair when baggage and seat charges are considered. Alternatively stay a night in Paris and find the start of the Camino there before travelling onwards. Don't miss the English albergue at Miraz.
Buen Camino.

Don't miss the English albergue at Miraz, I agree.... And of course the albergue de peregrinos de Guemes in Cantabria. (Last albergue before Santander)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
UK flights to Biarritz are RyanAir from Stansted, Easyjet fly from Gatwick and Bristol. In previous years they also have a Luton flight in the summer too.

I would recommend Bilbao. Then take a bus to San Sebastian. What you could to is your stay in a hostel in San Sebastián, get the early bus to Irun, leaving your bag at San Sebastián hostel, and walk the quite tough day without a bag! Accommodation tended to be pricier in Irun than San Sebastián when I went (not sure if that always the case) so it’s a win win!
Re Irun more expensive than San Sebastian.That certainly has not been my experience.San Sebastian is a very up-market seaside resort.Hotels and hostals are very expensive and at a premium during the high season.No surprises there as San Sebastian is a beautiful resort which attracts many tourists from all over the World.There is a Youth Hostel which you pass on the Camino on the way out of San Sebastian which is not expensive.
Property prices in San Sebastian are some of the highest in Spain.It's a very wealthy area.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back