Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Ingles from Primitivo

anngw

I remember reading on this wonderful forum, years ago, that you can skirt around the commotion of the Frances by —- somewhere towards the end of the Primitivo, I don’t remember where- - getting a bus and crossing over to the Ingles. Entering Santiago from the Ingles rather than from the Frances. Can somebody please give me the details on how to do that? My husband begins his Camino on the Primitivo later this week!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember reading on this wonderful forum, years ago, that you can skirt around the commotion of the Frances by —- somewhere towards the end of the Primitivo, I don’t remember where- - getting a bus and crossing over to the Ingles. Entering Santiago from the Ingles rather than from the Frances. Can somebody please give me the details on how to do that? My husband begins his Camino on the Primitivo later this week!
Hola!

You can get a bus from any point to whichever point you want by bus/train in Spain. It just depends how straight your desired Camino would be. But anyway Primitivo runs into Frances, either three or just one day before Santiago. One day of crowds wouldn't hurt that much I think? ;)

But if you really want to hop from Primitivo to Camino Ingles I think Lugo would be the place:
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lugo/Ferrol

Buen Camino!

Isn't there a route you can walk that skips the Frances from the Primitivo too? Thought I read that on here somewhere?

Davey

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Isn't there a route you can walk that skips the Frances from the Primitivo too? Thought I read that on here somewhere?

Davey
I'm not an expert on Primitivo but as I remember you just don't follow "official" Primitivo to Melide but take right hand option ("Camino Verde" I think) through Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes. There are threads about this in Primitivo sub-forum, people took that way.
And then you connect with CF in Arzua I think. That's what I mentioned before: three days or just one on CF...

Yes, you can get a bus from Lugo to Ferrol, the start of the Camino Ingles. But, to avoid the Frances, it might be easier to just walk the Camino Verde from Lugo to Sobrado, as suggested by Kinky One. Here’s a recent post that appeared on the forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...from-primitivo-to-norte-o-camiño-verde.46553/

The Camino Verde will take you to Sobrado, which is on the Camino del Norte. From there, you continue approximately 11 kilometers on the Norte to Boimorto. The traditional route then takes you down to Arzua on the Frances (approx. 45 kilometers from Santiago). However, there is a new alternative which enables you to avoid the Frances even further. After passing through Boimorto, you will come to a junction whiich is now extremely well-marked. If you go left, you will go to Arzua. However, if you stay to the right you will follow a very, very quiet route which hooks up with the Frances much later, and is actually 8-10 kilometers shorter than going via Arzua. You can follow the new route all the way to Lavacolla (about 10 k. outside of Santiago). Hoever, I wouldn’t recommend following it that far, because the last 1/3 of it (or more) is along the very busy N-634. Better to cut off the new route and hit the Frances near Brea or O Pedrouzo. Here's precise directions from Boimorto to Brea from a post of several years ago. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-frances-later-off-the-camino-del-norte.509/.

If you want to meet the Frances near O Pedrouzo instead (only 20 k from Santiago), which is what my wife and I did, just stay on the new route a further 7 kilometers past the cut-off to Brea. You will hit the busy N-634. Turn left, and after approximately a kilometer, you will see the well—marked turn-off to O Pedrouzo. On this short stretch of the N-634 you’ll also find a couple of bars to get a sello.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had the Wise Camino app. Its on-line GPX map clearly shows the new route all the way to the hook-up with the Frances at Lavacolla. It does not show the earlier cut-offs, but if you do want to cut off and hit the Frances near O Pedrouzo, it’s impossible to miss the turn. There’s a very large sign on the 634, which points you to O Pedrouzo to the left. Then it’s just a straight shot on one rural road for a couple of kilometers. Overall, you won’t get lost on thhe new route and don’t need a gpx track to follow it. The initial split on the outskirts of Boimorto is well-marked, and then it’s one road all the way to where you hit the N-634 and turn left. With regular Camino markers all the way.

Modifying my previous post: The Wise Pilgrim app. for the Norte gpx track does show the cut-off from the new route to Brea. It does not show the cut-off to O Pedrouzo, but as I wrote above, that cut-off is impossible to miss because of the large sign on the N-634. The whole of the Wise Pilgrim app. to the Norte is available for around $5. There’s a map-only version available for $1.99.

Thank yoou Andy

and this adds a day to the primitivo? so from lugo to santiago via norte is one day longer than via the french?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank yoou Andy

and this adds a day to the primitivo? so from lugo to santiago via norte is one day longer than via the french?
Not really. From Lugo, it’s 4-5 stages either way, depending on how long you want to make your stages. When we went along the Primitivo directly to the Frances, our stages were Ferreira, Melide (link-up with the Frances), then Salceda, LavacolIa, Santiago. This could have been shortened one day readily enough but we were in no hurry. if you go via the Camino Verde and then follow the alternative past Boimorto, the logical stages are Friol, Sobrado, Boimorto, A Rua or O Pedrouzo, then Santiago. With the exception of the Sobrado - Boimorto stage of only 11 k, these stages are all in the 20 - 25 k. range, and are pretty flat. The Sobrado - Boimorto stage is necessarily short because there’s no place to stay between Boimorto and the junction with the Frances (wherever you hit it). If you want to cut your stages down to 4, the logical thing is probably to extend the Lugo - Friol stage a further 8 k. There is a place to stay at Reguela called Hotel Rural Biterra. From there, you could easily make it to Boimorto in one day. Alternatively, you could push the Friol to Sobrado stage to Boimil, which is 2 k short of Boimorto and has an albergue.
Note that I don’t have any personal experience with the Camino Verde — the stretch from Lugo to Sobrado — but there’s very detailed information, including gpx tracks in the link I sent you. Had I known about it at the time we did the Primitivo, I definitely would have followed it rather than heading to Melide on the Frances.

Thanks again, that is perfect! By link you mean in the wise pilgrim app for the norte or did I miss something ?

No, the link about the Camino Verde was at the beginning of my first post on this thread. Here it is again: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...from-primitivo-to-norte-o-camiño-verde.46553/
There’s nothing about the Camino Verde in the Wise Pilgrim app for the Norte, but I believe I read somewhere that Michael, the author of the Wise Pilgrim guides and apps, was going to update his Primitivo guide and app. to include the Camino Verde. You could e-mail him diirectly to find out at Michael@wisepilgrim.com.

As far as I know otherwise, there’s no info. in English on the Camino Verde, except as is found in that link above.

If you follow this route, btw, let me know how it turned out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That’s what happens. When we came down the Primitivo, we were all set to take a bus from Lugo to Ferrol on the Ingles in order to avoid the Frances (not knowing about the Camino Verde) but when we woke up in the morning, we realized we couldn’t bear to part from all the friends we had made. So we stuck it out on the Primitivo and it was fine. The albergues in Ferreira — next logical stopping point past Lugo — are wonderful.

BTW, I saw you are from Denmark. If you happen to read German, the standard guidebook to the Primitivo discusses the Camino Verde in detail.

I did manage to find this one (english link at the very end) https://estradasecorredoiras.blogspot.com/search?q=verde.

will let you know what happens, I think it may also depend on the people I end up walking with, sometimes it is nice to just stay with the group, sometimes the group will come and sometimes it is better to just wander off...
Talking about this all the time...
People, weather, your feeling on a particular day etc. etc. etc. so many variables in equation. Don't overthink it! Make a plan, book a return flight few days later than your plan is "set" and that's it. You're safe. If there are more days walk to Fisterra/Muxia or Ingles or just enjoy Santiago. Have a beer or two!

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
yes, I will see how it goes. My german is really rusty and I am trying to cut back on guides. I have a small Salvador and a map for Primitivo and may get the APP, will just go with the flow, but it is nice to know the options still. Something to consider :)

yes, I will see how it goes. My german is really rusty and I am trying to cut back on guides. I have a small Salvador and a map for Primitivo and may get the APP, will just go with the flow, but it is nice to know the options still. Something to consider :)
You do any kind of blog/vlog @Pieces ?

no wasnt planning to, just update ppl on facebook, supposing only people I know would be interested :D

Was gonna do a blog eventually on another topic, maybe if I have time this weekend I should get that going...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back