• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Irun from Biarritz

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances Aug 21 doing norte June 22
Hi all, I'm doing the Del Norte, flying into Biarritz on Saturday 4th June 2022, can anyone advise me on the best way to get to Irun?
Thanks in advance
graham

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Graham, welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

Here are two options: both will get you to Gare Hendaye (France), where you can either take the Euskotren or walk across the bridge to Irun.

1. The no.3 Chrononbus, which takes about an hour.
2. Walk, bus or taxi to Biarritz station for a direct train (about 30 mins) to Hendaye.
Much will depend on your arrival time and how it fits with the bus and train departures.

A wildcard fun option would be to stay on the Chronobus until Hendaye Plage and take the 15 minute boat ride across the estuary to Hondarribia. You can start your Camino in Hondarribia or take a bus to Irun. It's easy to find the bus stops when you get off the ferry.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Graham, welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

Here are two options: both will get you to Gare Hendaye (France), where you can either take the Euskotren or walk across the bridge to Irun.

1. The no.3 Chrononbus, which takes about an hour.
2. Walk, bus or taxi to Biarritz station for a direct train (about 30 mins) to Hendaye.
Much will depend on your arrival time and how it fits with the bus and train departures.

A wildcard fun option would be to stay on the Chronobus until Hendaye Plage and hop on the 15 minute boat ride across the estuary to Hondarribia. You can start your Camino in Hondarribia or take a bus to Irun.

Happy planning
Thanks very much for this, I've been checking various options, but as I'm landing around 10am on a Saturday, it seems a bit limited, I did look at a airport transfer, but it was nearly €100......

Looks like the bus runs regularly even on Saturday mornings unless you arriving on some kind of holiday? Either the 3 or the 4 bus. What are you using to search?

Thanks very much for this, I've been checking various options, but as I'm landing around 10am on a Saturday, it seems a bit limited, I did look at a airport transfer, but it was nearly €100......
It looks like there are buses every twenty minutes on a Saturday. Here's a snapshot:

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 15.21.15.png

If you catch the 10.50 one, you'll arrive at Gare Hendaye at 11.51. A slow journey, but not an unpleasant one. The fare seems to be just €2, which you pay on the bus. Probably cash only, but someone else might have more recent info on that.

It's about 3kms from Gare Hendaye to Irun, with the pleasure of walking across the bridge between France and Spain. Or, a 4 minute train ride and a c.10 minute walk.

Google maps is great for this stuff!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walk!

I did this twice already.
You can start right from the airport (sentier du littoral).

It‘s a very pleasant 2-days-walk along the coast (more or less) with short distances, if you make a stop in St. Jean de Luz.
And it‘s a good preparation to get into moving, before you get to the first challenge (mount Jaizkibel after Irun).

Buen camino

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm doing the Del Norte, flying into Biarritz on Saturday 4th June 2022, can anyone advise me on the best way to get to Irun?
Thanks in advance
graham
I did the Norte in 2018.

You can walk from Biarritz to Irun in one day. I did this.

Its a very beautiful walk.

You just follow the sea there's a few boulders to negotiate for a tiny stretch and then it's very easy walking.
On some parts you'll be walking bare feet along the sand beach with waves lapping your feet.

Good luck
Stu👌👍🖐️

Thanks in advance
graham
I enjoyed the walk from Biarritz to St Jean De Luz then on to Irun. Of course only if you have the time to add 21km to your trek.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walk!

I did this twice already.
You can start right from the airport (sentier du littoral).

It‘s a very pleasant 2-days-walk along the coast (more or less) with short distances, if you make a stop in St. Jean de Luz.
And it‘s a good preparation to get into moving, before you get to the first challenge (mount Jaizkibel after Irun).

Buen camino
that website seems to say saint jean de luz to Hendaye path is closed

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back