• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to know the locals on the C.P.

How important is it to you to get to know local folk along the Caminho?

• Very.. I try to make friends with them

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Happy if it happens, but I am not actively trying to make friends

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No time, really...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is more important to socialize with fellow peregrinos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jakke

Time of past OR future Camino
Eleven different ones in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
Hi! I just read a thread about getting to know local people in Spain. I read somewhere on this forum, that many can speak English in Portugal. As I speak no Portuguese, that is what I need if I want contact with the locals. Fortunately I have a lot of time and would love to get to know locals along the Caminho. I suppose that is possible in cities, but how about the villages (in general)? Am I going to meet mainly people, with whom it will be tough to chat? Another question. I understand you are supposed to stay only one night in a hostel. Now, if I am so lucky and meet locals I want to talk with some more, do I have to look for a different hostel so I can stay another day?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi
After October 10 asks CMSMackie, she is to do the CPI and love it (alone and does not speak Portuguese).

AMSimoes

I am by no means a CP expert :confused: but here is what worked for me during my short stay in Porto and elsewhere:

Asking questions of nearly everybody you meet (waiter, shop assistant etc.) that has time. Questions like what is the one most important thing to see/eat/drink/do in this place.
Also getting a little language guide and asking for correct pronunciation of basic words like Hello and Thank You.
Show genuine interest in what people are doing, f.e. as I was in the cathedral museum in SdC the last time I had a lovely chat with one of the room guardians, the person that sits the whole day in an area watching over things, I learned a lot about the exhibits there and, hopefully, the guy also enjoyed chatting with me.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
After October 10 asks CMSMackie, she is to do the CPI and love it (alone and does not speak Portuguese).

AMSimoes

Hi! I tried to find CMSMackie, but did not succeed. Can you tell me more? Good to know she loves the CPI!

G
I am by no means a CP expert :confused: but here is what worked for me during my short stay in Porto and elsewhere:

Asking questions of nearly everybody you meet (waiter, shop assistant etc.) that has time. Questions like what is the one most important thing to see/eat/drink/do in this place.
Also getting a little language guide and asking for correct pronunciation of basic words like Hello and Thank You.
Show genuine interest in what people are doing, f.e. as I was in the cathedral museum in SdC the last time I had a lovely chat with one of the room guardians, the person that sits the whole day in an area watching over things, I learned a lot about the exhibits there and, hopefully, the guy also enjoyed chatting with me.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

Good tips! Thanks, SY!

In general, I have found people in little towns much more interested in talking to pilgrims, especially outside the big pilgrim months, when they're busy making money.

I wouldn't say I have made lifelong friends, but I have pleasant memories of many, many conversations about local churches, local food, "What is that thing you're knitting?", "Why on Earth do people want to walk the Camino?", and of course, many stories about the Caminos walked by locals, their friends and relatives.

I have found that just sitting down somewhere and looking approachable (knitting! playing patience!) means that locals pop up and start talking to me. There's also the tried and true "Oh what a lovely church; is it very old?" and "How do you make this delicious food?" or "What would you recommend me to do/eat in your lovely town?". Questions about local things, particularly if you PRAISE whatever it is, opens many doors...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In general, I have found people in little towns much more interested in talking to pilgrims, especially outside the big pilgrim months, when they're busy making money.

I wouldn't say I have made lifelong friends, but I have pleasant memories of many, many conversations about local churches, local food, "What is that thing you're knitting?", "Why on Earth do people want to walk the Camino?", and of course, many stories about the Caminos walked by locals, their friends and relatives.

I have found that just sitting down somewhere and looking approachable (knitting! playing patience!) means that locals pop up and start talking to me. There's also the tried and true "Oh what a lovely church; is it very old?" and "How do you make this delicious food?" or "What would you recommend me to do/eat in your lovely town?". Questions about local things, particularly if you PRAISE whatever it is, opens many doors...

Did you speak Portuguese or did you trust they'd know English?

Some words of CMS:
1 -
Hot today, but amazing!!
All the people I've met have been amazing!!
Will let you know about Bigorne when I see you.

2 -
Hot today, but amazing!!
All the people I've met have been amazing!!
Will let you know about Bigorne when I see you.
Tchau

3 -
I just arrived here in Lamego. I got a late start and found that some arrows missing, but many people helped me to find the way.
I saw the city preparing for the celebration. I will decide in the morning whether I will stay or attempt Peso do Regua. I will have a glass of vinho tinto tonight just in case.

4 -
The walk today was spectacular! I am tempted to walk back the other direction just to enjoy it again.
I've gotten to my hotel, but wasn't able to find the office for a stamp. I will have a brief rest and will try again this afternoon when I explore the city.

5 -
I cannot wait to see the Douro again!!
I have tried to called the alberge in Bertelo, but the phone numbers are not working. Is it possible that they have closed?
If they have I will continue tomorrow to Vila Real.

6 -
I am having an amazing time. Tough walk from Bertelo, but albergue is wonderful.
I will be in touch soon!

7 -
I walked today with a father and son from Lisboa. We have had a very good visit and will have dinner tonight. I will talk with them to see where they will go tomorrow.
I will make sure to take enough water for the day.

I read somewhere on this forum, that many can speak English in Portugal. As I speak no Portuguese, that is what I need if I want contact with the locals. Fortunately I have a lot of time and would love to get to know locals along the Caminho.
Learn just a few phrases in Portuguese like:
How nice! or How pretty! (Choose the one appropriate for babies, motorcycles, paintings, pets, etc.)
May I help you?
May I watch?
May I go with you?
Can you show me how to get to the camino? (Wander off a block or two and ask and since you don't speak the language they may walk with you to it. Gives you a chance to broaden the conversation.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Learn just a few phrases in Portuguese like:
How nice! or How pretty! (Choose the one appropriate for babies, motorcycles, paintings, pets, etc.)
May I help you?
May I watch?
May I go with you?
Can you show me how to get to the camino? (Wander off a block or two and ask and since you don't speak the language they may walk with you to it. Gives you a chance to broaden the conversation.)

Crafty!!

"Did you speak Portuguese or did you trust they'd know English?"

Slow Spanish seems to do the trick, with occasional English words - to people my age or older. To young people, I speak English and they reply in English as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back