• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Le Puy

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
What do you recommend as the best route into Le Puy from the U.S.
I assume (but not sure) that Paris would be the first stop.....but what and how from there?

I did find some old threads but not sure how valid they would be now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paris is the way I went,then the high speed train TG something or other(200km an hour) one change (saint-ettienne)just before le puy to the local train that got me in late afternoon to my pre-booked gite
-credencil at evening mass ( 6pm??)in the cathedral.I think the Paris rail station was gard lyon,there may be other ways but I just loved speeding through France glass of wine in hand-
I'm sure people will come up with a more detailed route
have a great time,its a great walk-the first 10 days are the best ever.
my blog is below (march/april/may last year) check out Kiwi Nomad's blog its the best
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can only answer the French part of your question:

From the Gare de Lyon you take a TGV to St. Etienne and from there a local train to Le Puy. The local train is on a very scenic route - they should charge you extra for the view :D

For me it was easier to fly into Paris, then I caught a train that went via Clermont-Ferrand, with a change there to Le-Puy-en-Velay by local train. I think the exact place you change will depend on when you leave Paris- there are a couple of different options.
Margaret

Thanks to all.
I have done the SJPP to Santiago a couple of times and can make my way to St. Jean but was lost as to how to get to Le Puy. I had hoped I didn't have to walk from Paris.
I had thought that Paris would be starting point but wondered if other French cities might be closer or have direct service.

Added: I did find walking directions from St. Etienne to Le Puy. ONLY 75km further back. It looks like it is all on local roads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
grayland said:
Added: I did find walking directions from St. Etienne to Le Puy. ONLY 75km further back. It looks like it is all on local roads.
I met four ladies from St Etienne in Saugues and they were walking for a week or two. They looked after me at a few mealtimes in the gîtes, and spoke slowly so I could understand. They had begun from home, in St Etienne, so I presume they had taken the route you found.
Margaret

From CDG I took the TGV to Lyon, transferred to a regional to Saint-Ettienne, then a local into Le Puy. The rail route into Le Puy is not to be missed - really spectacular! Departed CDG around 10:30a and arrived Le Puy about 5:00p. Nice layover for lunch in Lyon. Also I used the online pre-ticketing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
grayland said:
You convinced me! Not hard to convince me to avoid an extra 75km of walking. Train sounds great. 8)
While you are in a so easily convinced mood.... I am the lawyer acting for a Nigerian Princess :shock: who needs help to get funds from the estate of her dead father out of the country.... just give me your phone number.... :lol:

Hi all,

Just wondering which of the 2 train stations do I need to get off at? St etienne de mon or St etienne de bai?

Thanks in advance,
Sonia
:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've noticed there are several train stations in Paris. Which station has trains heading to Lyon? And how far is the commute from Paris airport to the train station?

Thanks again!
:D

There are trains heading for Lyon right from the Airport. The station is called ''CDG2''.

Good Luck,
Jean-Marc

I am not clear on your question, but the train from St. Etienne to Le Puy leaves from:

Gare de Saint-Étienne Bellevue
65 Rue Docteurs Charcot, 42100 Saint-Étienne, France +33 4 77 81 61 40

It was the second train station visited by the bus from the airport. I got off at the first station, and had to take a taxi to the correct one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Pilgrim routes are from Lyon and Cluny, which join and continue to Le Puy. The Vezelay route can join to the Cluny route.

The train from Lyon Part-Dieu goes either direct to Le Puy or you change at St Etienne Chateaucreux.

Caminando said:
The Pilgrim routes are from Lyon and Cluny, which join and continue to Le Puy. The Vezelay route can join to the Cluny route.

The train from Lyon Part-Dieu goes either direct to Le Puy or you change at St Etienne Chateaucreux.

In St Etienne Chateaucreux, you need to change platforms. Just ... um ... follow the backpacks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like Kitsambler I took a train from CDG airport, booked it at http://www.TGV-Europe. The ticket told me where to change. It was very easy and a comfortable.

My route: Icelandic Air from U.S. to London, Ryan Air from London to St. Etienne, bus to the wrong train station, taxi to the correct train station, train to Le Puy.
That’s about the way I handle things... one wrong turn, a missing bag, lots of helpful advice and eventually a landing at the desired spot. Serendipity at it’s best

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back