• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Leon from Madrid airport

Trillian

Time of past OR future Camino
May 18-June 7 2015
Hello!

I will be starting my camino in Leon in approximately 3 weeks and am looking for some advice about getting to Leon from Madrid-Barajas. I'll be landing around 11:30am on a weekday, terminal 1. I will not have checked luggage.

Would it be feasible to get the train to Leon from Chamartin that leaves at 2:40pm? If yes, what is the easiest way to get there within my time constraint? Metro from T2 (which I would walk to from T1) or free shuttle bus from T1 to T4, then Cercanias to Chamartin? If I book my Renfe ticket ahead of time, is the Cercanias free (I read this in another thread but not sure if it's still valid)? If it is the case, do I just show the printout of my e-ticket?

Another option would be to take the bus from T4 to Leon...do you think I can make the 1:45pm one?

I would like to book a private room in a hostel in Leon for 2 nights, so that I can spend my second day in Spain exploring Leon before starting my camino...and be well rested before I begin. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hostels or hotels would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your insight and advice! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
03:10 hours should be sufficient to get from the plane to Chamartin by either Cercanias or Metro.

02:15 hours should be sufficient time to get from the plane at T1 to T4 bus station.

Not checking your luggage does not significantly alter the time appreciation. Usually luggage is rolling off the carosel just a few minutes after you stroll off the plane.

The Cercanias ticket is included in the Renfe fare from Madrid to Leon.

The Metro to Chamartin takes about 40 minutes and departs every 6 - 8 minutes.

The Cercanias to Chamartin takes about 20 minutes and departs every 30 minutes.

The most time efficient transport depends on shuttle and Cercanias timings. If you wait the full period for the airport shuttle and then end up at T4 just after the Cercanias departs you add 45 minutes wait time to the travel time.

I would take the Metro from T1-T2-T3 as it involves the least transfers and waits.

I understand the Parador in Leon is not as expensive as you might expect.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, I'm struggling to find metro timetable as I am arriving in Madrid in a few weeks in the evening and was thinking of staying over at the airport and getting 07.45 train to Leon but can't find what time the trains start to chamartin. Does anyone know? Also, do I need to buy train ticket in advance? Thanks

Would it be feasible to get the train to Leon from Chamartin that leaves at 2:40pm?

If your plane arrives on time, yes, it should be feasible.

If yes, what is the easiest way to get there within my time constraint?

Transit bus from T1 to T4 and CercanĂ­as train from T4 to ChamartĂ­n station.

If I book my Renfe ticket ahead of time, is the Cercanias free (I read this in another thread but not sure if it's still valid)?

As you plan to take an Alvia train, it should be free.

If it is the case, do I just show the printout of my e-ticket?

If you use a self-service machine to get your cercanĂ­as ticket, you have to look for the "combinado cercanĂ­as" number on your ticket and type it on the machine when requested. If you are attended by and human being on a sales desk, just ask about it.

Another option would be to take the bus from T4 to Leon...do you think I can make the 1:45pm one?

If your plane arrives on time, you should be able to make it.

The Cercanias ticket is included in the Renfe fare from Madrid to Leon.

That's true for the specific train the OP plans to take but not for every train from Madrid to LeĂłn (e.g.: it wouldn't be included on a MD train).

The Metro to Chamartin takes about 40 minutes

Just a warning: The quickest route by metro -the one that usually recommends the metromadrid web if you don't change settings- involves 2 changes of lines along the route. It might be easier to take the Metro to Nuevos Ministerios and change there to ChamartĂ­n (choose "fewer train changes" when looking for schedules).

The Cercanias to Chamartin takes about 20 minutes and departs every 30 minutes.

According to the RENFE web it's just 12 minutes. Although, of course, that's the time it takes from train station to train station. You have to add the time it takes to get to the train station in T4 from terminal one, the time it takes to get the cercanĂ­as ticket, the time it takes to change trains in ChamartĂ­n...

Hi, I'm struggling to find metro timetable as I am arriving in Madrid in a few weeks in the evening and was thinking of staying over at the airport and getting 07.45 train to Leon but can't find what time the trains start to chamartin. Does anyone know?

The first one out of the airport departs at 06:05 a.m.

Also, do I need to buy train ticket in advance?

That would be a good idea because that way you might get one of the discounted fares available on the Alvia train you plan to take (and you wouldn't worry about whether the train gets full or not).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back