• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Lisbon from Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 9/2016
Senda Litoral/Coastal Português 9/2018
Any advice for best way to making our way from Santiago to Lisbon after we finish our Camino? Thank you! Pam

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Alsa runs a bus on that route, have a look at alsa.es Buen Camino, SY

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It depends on your budget and/or preferences. Some options:
  • Direct bus with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en).
  • Train to Vigo, another one from Vigo to Porto and a third one from Porto to Lisbon. Take a look at www.renfe.com for info about the leg to Vigo and the leg out of Vigo and at www.cp.pt for the leg from Porto to Lisbon.
  • A mix of bus to Porto with Alsa and train from Porto to Lisbon with www.cp.pt
  • Fly non-stop out of A Coruña airport. To reach A Coruña airport, bus from Santiago de Compostela to A Coruña (with www.monbus.es) and local bus from downtown A Coruña to the airport (with http://autoscalpita.com). You may also fly out of Santiago de Compostela airport in which case you'll have to change planes in Madrid.

1. Renfe train from Santiago to Vigo Guixar.

CP Celta train from Vigo to Porto Campanha. CP train from Porto to Lisboa Gare do Oriente; Or,

Renfe train from Santiago to Valenca. CP trains from Valenca to Lisboa Gare do Oriente.

2. a. Monbus bus from Santiago to Vigo.

b. Autna bus from Vigo to Porto.

c. Rede Expressos bus from Porto to Lisboa Sete Rios; or,

Renex bus from Porto to Lisboa Gare do Oriente.

Note: there is no central bus station in Porto.

3. ALSA bus from Santiago to Lisboa.

Note Portugal is in a different time zone than Spain.

I have taken the bus. IMO, the best thing you can say about it is that you don't have to make any changes. It is not a particularly pretty route, and it stops at a not particularly great highway rest stop. It is a long day, but maybe you are more tolerant of staying seated for all those hours than I am.

Depending on how much time you have, you might want to take the train, and spend a couple of days in Vigo (I have wanted to get to the Cies Islands for a long time, that might be a nice post-Camino "decompression" stop). Then move on to Lisbon.

And just one addition to Whari's train information. The train to and from Porto will stop at Oriente as he notes (a few kms north of town, a big modern station), but it will also continue into the old central station at Santa Apolonia. That may be more convenient for you, depending on where you will be spending the night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any advice for best way to making our way from Santiago to Lisbon after we finish our Camino? Thank you! Pam
depends on your time allowance.
took the early morning train from SdC - and stayed one more night in Porto - and took the train again south in a leisure pace.
certain trains from Porto to Lisboa run onl 2.5hrs, rather fast. Depending day/time, might require reservations.
enjoy the journey when/if you can

Thanks everyone, I will need this in mid-October, so I have time to figure out how to return to Lisbon...

I have taken the bus. IMO, the best thing you can say about it is that you don't have to make any changes. It is not a particularly pretty route, and it stops at a not particularly great highway rest stop. It is a long day, but maybe you are more tolerant of staying seated for all those hours than I am.

Depending on how much time you have, you might want to take the train, and spend a couple of days in Vigo (I have wanted to get to the Cies Islands for a long time, that might be a nice post-Camino "decompression" stop). Then move on to Lisbon.

And just one addition to Whari's train information. The train to and from Porto will stop at Oriente as he notes (a few kms north of town, a big modern station), but it will also continue into the old central station at Santa Apolonia. That may be more convenient for you, depending on where you will be spending the night.

I listed Gare do Oriente because it is closest to the Airport.

Santa Apolonia is in downtown Lisboa and close to the central business district.

There is a comprehensive Metro that connects the dots.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We took the train, stopped in Porto for a day, then trained down to Lisbon. It was great.

My wife and I decided the quickest and easiest way to return to Lisbon from Santiago was to fly even though we went via Madrid. However if you have the time the suggestion by owms2323 is a good one as Porto is beautiful.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back