• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Getting to Lourdes

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Any ideas about the best way to get to Lourdes from the USA?
Fly into Paris?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Annie - not sure about from the US but from South Africa we will fly on Iberia to Toulouse and then home from Santiago on a multi-route ticket. We will get a train to Lourdes and start walking from there. You could also fly to Pau and get a train from there.

A

Anonymous

I was in Lourdes in September - the Benedict visit - and the train station is very busy - trains from all over coming in so no problems getting there from any southern town (well, if it has a station of course).

Sil - how long do you expect the Lourdes - St. Jean to take?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hi Br David - I am walking the Arles route from Lourdes to Oloron and then south to Somport to walk the Aragones to Puente La Reina. We then get a train from Pamplona to Lugo and Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

The Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen guide book shows 7 stages from Lourdes to St Jean.
Lourdes - Asson - Arudy - Oloron Ste Marie - L'Hopital-Saint-Blaise - Mauleon-Lichare - Saint-Just-Ibarre - St-Jea-Pied-de-Port: about 150km.

We initially intended walking from Narbonne to Roncesvalles on the Chemin du Piemont but I couldn't resist walking the Aragones and Ingles this time, just in case I don't get back for a long while!
I'm finding it more and more difficult to earn the money for these trips. The UK based Travel Guide publisher I worked for has gone under (he still owes me for 3 guide books I produced); one of the magazines to which I was a regular contributor had it's final issue out in January and the editor of another mag has sent notice to all regular freelance writers saying that because their budget has been cut, no more freelance work until further notice. Times are hard everywhere. I'm just really grateful that I can walk this year.

A

Anonymous

sillydoll said:
Hi Br David - I am walking the Arles route from Lourdes to Oloron and then south to Somport to walk the Aragones to Puente La Reina. We then get a train from Pamplona to Lugo and Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

The Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen guide book shows 7 stages from Lourdes to St Jean.
Lourdes - Asson - Arudy - Oloron Ste Marie - L'Hopital-Saint-Blaise - Mauleon-Lichare - Saint-Just-Ibarre - St-Jea-Pied-de-Port: about 150km.

We initially intended walking from Narbonne to Roncesvalles on the Chemin du Piemont but I couldn't resist walking the Aragones and Ingles this time, just in case I don't get back for a long while!
Thanks Sil - I'm rather interested in Lourdes St Jean - or vice versa ... also dream about Assisi ... think I should sell computer - would give me so much more time!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
This is your route profile for Lourdes to St Jean. And here are some links for the St Francis trails - there are two main ones (both being squabbled over by local organisations) and a short, 5 day path. All three offer a credential and certificate at the end.

1) This is the 300km route http://www.camminodiassisi.it/
2) Then a 350km, 16 days route which overlaps the first one in the middle: Il Cammino Francescano : http://www.diquipassofrancesco.it
3) An 80km route – at the end of the first two:
http://www.camminodifrancesco.it/eng/il ... /index.php

Attachments

• Lourdes to St Jean.gif
    Lourdes to St Jean.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,406
A

Anonymous

Sil - you are a doll! (crikey, doesn't 1960's flattery sound ancient now ....)

Thanks so much for that info .. have stored it away to look at .. etc .. very kind.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Has anyone recently walked this route?

I was contacted by Accueil St. Jacque and they are no longer open in Asson.
Where did you sleep in Asson?

Where did you sleep in Arudy?

Does anyone know if there is a bus or train from Lourdes to Asson or Arudy?

Thanks.

lucky

Hi Annie,
I walked from Lourdes to Somport in November 2011 and it is a very beautiful walk although very solitary in winter. I stayed in the municipal auberge in Asson which is ok but only room for 2 but there is a good supermarket there.Istayed with Pierre the priest in Arudy which was excellent and the municipal auberge in Oleron was almost brand new with first class facilities. Forum member Colin Peter is i think actually doing this walk at the moment so hopefully he can bring you up to date. I also have the number somewhere of an excellent gite in Lourdes. Lourdes gets thousands of visiters every summer so i should imagine the train and bus links are good.I think there is a bus service from Asson to Oleron and if you decide to go in the direction of Somport as opposed to St Jean there is a train service from Confranc Estacion to Jaca. If i can help further please ask.
Paul

Camino(s) past & future
Do you happen to have an email address for Pierre the Priest?
I have not been able to get in touch with him.
Thank you.

sulu

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
a few since 2010
Hi Annie
Do you happen to have an email address for Pierre the Priest?
I have the following info.
Accueil paroissial au Presbytère, 2 rue Baulong, 64260 Arudy
hébergement 8 personnes + douche + coin cuisine + possibilité de repas
prévenir à l’avance : Abbé Pierre Sallenave.
Tél.05.59.05.61.98, courriel : pierrs @ orange.fr
En cas d’absence, la clé est chez les Religieuses, 2 rue du Couvent

Hope this helps. I am planning to do this route in October.
Sue

Advertisement

Booking.com