• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to MAD Airport

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Hello esteemed Members
Staying in Madrid at Hotel Madrid II Castillas Calle de la Abada, 7 (July 2-4) putting a (IMHO) nice final touch on Camino Frances\Camino Finisterre walks.
  • First of - looked like a reasonably nice place so perhaps if any of you have stayed thee previously can share the experience(s)?
  • Second - is there a good way to get to MAD Airport from that area using public transportation? (metro, bus... airport bus)?
Flight is scheduled for 12:45 PM so should be there probably 2 hours before (or 3+ if decide to do the pre-flight COVID Test using the newly opened facility in the airport proper)?

thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can't advise you about the hotel.

Madrid, like most large European cities, offers excellent public transportation to and from the airport.

Check out the site below in which I used your possible hotel as the starting point to get to MAD. I usually request that hotel staff "coach me up" on how to use a bus or subway. Things like "will a bus driver give me change?".

Your hotel is about midway between Puerta del Sol and the Gran VĂ­a, so you are right where all the action is!

I would take CercanĂ­as from Sol to the airport. You will have to change trains in Nuevos Ministerios or ChamartĂ­n but it is easy. The metro also will get you there, but I think CercanĂ­as is much more comfortable and probably faster, and also has no pickpockets.

There is also the airport bus from the Plaza Cibeles, but that’s a bit further away.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cercanias from Sol is easy.

If you want the airport bus (my usual option), take the metro to Atocha and catch it there where it will start out empty. It often fills up at Atocha and it can be a bun fight at the other three stops. It’s cash only, nothing larger than a €10

Hello esteemed Members
Staying in Madrid at Hotel Madrid II Castillas Calle de la Abada, 7 (July 2-4) putting a (IMHO) nice final touch on Camino Frances\Camino Finisterre walks.
  • First of - looked like a reasonably nice place so perhaps if any of you have stayed thee previously can share the experience(s)?
  • Second - is there a good way to get to MAD Airport from that area using public transportation? (metro, bus... airport bus)?
Flight is scheduled for 12:45 PM so should be there probably 2 hours before (or 3+ if decide to do the pre-flight COVID Test using the newly opened facility in the airport proper)?

thanks
You can also UBER if you wish. Probably not the most economical method unless you are able to share a ride, but probably less hassle. We used UBER to go downtown from our airport hotel.

You can also UBER if you wish. Probably not the most economical method unless you are able to share a ride, but probably less hassle. We used UBER to go downtown from our airport hotel.
Uber has made its way into Spain and is a viable option. But I would check prices, because sometimes the taxi fare is less. A taxi to or from central Madrid and the airport is fixed at 30€.

Last November during a two-week stay in Lisbon, we pretty frequently found that a taxi ride wound up being less than what the Uber price was showing. And Uber often showed a 10 minute delay to get to our hotel, while the cab was right outside. So convenience might also be a consideration.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back