• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to MAD Airport

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Hello esteemed Members
Staying in Madrid at Hotel Madrid II Castillas Calle de la Abada, 7 (July 2-4) putting a (IMHO) nice final touch on Camino Frances\Camino Finisterre walks.
  • First of - looked like a reasonably nice place so perhaps if any of you have stayed thee previously can share the experience(s)?
  • Second - is there a good way to get to MAD Airport from that area using public transportation? (metro, bus... airport bus)?
Flight is scheduled for 12:45 PM so should be there probably 2 hours before (or 3+ if decide to do the pre-flight COVID Test using the newly opened facility in the airport proper)?

thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can't advise you about the hotel.

Madrid, like most large European cities, offers excellent public transportation to and from the airport.

Check out the site below in which I used your possible hotel as the starting point to get to MAD. I usually request that hotel staff "coach me up" on how to use a bus or subway. Things like "will a bus driver give me change?".

Your hotel is about midway between Puerta del Sol and the Gran Vía, so you are right where all the action is!

I would take Cercanías from Sol to the airport. You will have to change trains in Nuevos Ministerios or Chamartín but it is easy. The metro also will get you there, but I think Cercanías is much more comfortable and probably faster, and also has no pickpockets.

There is also the airport bus from the Plaza Cibeles, but that’s a bit further away.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cercanias from Sol is easy.

If you want the airport bus (my usual option), take the metro to Atocha and catch it there where it will start out empty. It often fills up at Atocha and it can be a bun fight at the other three stops. It’s cash only, nothing larger than a €10

Hello esteemed Members
Staying in Madrid at Hotel Madrid II Castillas Calle de la Abada, 7 (July 2-4) putting a (IMHO) nice final touch on Camino Frances\Camino Finisterre walks.
  • First of - looked like a reasonably nice place so perhaps if any of you have stayed thee previously can share the experience(s)?
  • Second - is there a good way to get to MAD Airport from that area using public transportation? (metro, bus... airport bus)?
Flight is scheduled for 12:45 PM so should be there probably 2 hours before (or 3+ if decide to do the pre-flight COVID Test using the newly opened facility in the airport proper)?

thanks
You can also UBER if you wish. Probably not the most economical method unless you are able to share a ride, but probably less hassle. We used UBER to go downtown from our airport hotel.

You can also UBER if you wish. Probably not the most economical method unless you are able to share a ride, but probably less hassle. We used UBER to go downtown from our airport hotel.
Uber has made its way into Spain and is a viable option. But I would check prices, because sometimes the taxi fare is less. A taxi to or from central Madrid and the airport is fixed at 30€.

Last November during a two-week stay in Lisbon, we pretty frequently found that a taxi ride wound up being less than what the Uber price was showing. And Uber often showed a 10 minute delay to get to our hotel, while the cab was right outside. So convenience might also be a consideration.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back