• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Madrid from mid-point on the Camino Frances

KAD309

Time of past OR future Camino
May 20222
Greetings to all ! I am a Canadian starting my Camino Frances on May 14th from SJPDP and walking for a total of up to 16 days as my flight back to Canada is on May 31 from Madrid . The plan is to stop somewhere between Burgos and Fromista, depending on my progress as well as my desire at the time to either continue walking or to spend a couple of days in Madrid.

My question is, from which point between Burgos and Fromista is the most convenient place to take the train to Madrid ?

Any suggestions are more than welcome and many thanks in advance !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think bus may be easier, but here is a map of the long distance and high speed routes in Spain. Depending on where you wind up, going back to Burgos might be easiest. I’m sure you’ll be able to get good advice on the ground a couple of days before you have to decide, but this map should give you some idea.

B58F2398-FB9C-4140-BA50-58D71B9B01C2.png

If you can get as far as Sahagún, the midway point of the Camiino then there is a good fast train service from there to Madrid. That's what we did in 2012

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think bus may be easier, but here is a map of the long distance and high speed routes in Spain. Depending on where you wind up, going back to Burgos might be easiest. I’m sure you’ll be able to get good advice on the ground a couple of days before you have to decide, but this map should give you some idea.

View attachment 124541
Thank you - this is extremely useful - and for the good advice !

If you can get as far as Sahagún, the midway point of the Camiino then there is a good fast train service from there to Madrid. That's what we did in 2012
thank you that's good to know - Sahagun is where I'd like to get to but I don't believe I can there in the time I have unless I skip a couple of stages. Thank you for the information !

There's also the option of a train from Fromista to Madrid. It takes 3 hours, including a change in Valladolid. It seems to run on weekdays only, departing at 12.09 (according to a quick search on the Renfe website).

As @peregrina2000 said, a bus back to Burgos is often a good solution. There are daily buses from Fromista and Castrojeriz - and regular buses from Burgos to Madrid Airport or City.

I wouldn't worry too much about this - it's always possible to get to Madrid from the Camino Francés. Local people will give you good advice when you've a better of idea of your final destination. They'll know, for example if a short taxi ride to somewhere we've never heard of allows you to connect with the perfect bus or train.

The Rome2Rio site is helpful too.

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's also the option of a train from Fromista to Madrid. It takes 3 hours, including a change in Valladolid. It seems to run on weekdays only, departing at 12.09 (according to a quick search on the Renfe website).

As @peregrina2000 said, a bus back to Burgos is often a good solution. There are daily buses from Fromista and Castrojeriz - and regular buses from Burgos to Madrid Airport or City.

I wouldn't worry too much about this - it's always possible to get to Madrid from the Camino Francés. Local people will give you good advice when you've a better of idea of your final destination. They'll know, for example if a short taxi ride to somewhere we've never heard of allows you to connect with the perfect bus or train.

The Rome2Rio site is helpful too.

Happy planning and Buen Camino.
Thank you so much - this advice and information are priceless - and helps calm my pre-start jitters. Again, thank you !

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back