• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Madrid

TheEzrahite

Hi guys,

So, after doing the Camino I'm going to have a flight home out of Madrid. What's the best way to get from Santiago to Madrid? I'm worried about buying anything in advance because I'm not sure exactly what day I'll finish the camino - would I be able to buy a train ticket the morning I would want to go, or do these sell out frequently?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid last October. It was fabulous. I had a cozy bunk in a 4 bed sleeper. I had a delicious dinner in the dining car and I woke up in Madrid, refreshed, in the daylight which allowed me time to figure out where I was going to stay that night. I remember it ws quite a shock because Madrid is not the camino and it was the first leg of leaving the beautiful camino behind.

I can't remember what I paid for my ticket. I did buy it before I continued my walk to Finisterre. I only allowed three days to walk to Finisterre and I wish I had planned for a 4 day walk instead.

There is not one day that has gone by that I have not thought about the camino since I got back. And I would walk it again in a heart beat.

Have a wonderful walk. Buen camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
marjorita said:
overnight train from Santiago to Madrid. It was fabulous.

I vouch for that!!! A first class experience for someone who wants to travel in style.

If in a hurry, you can try Air-Europa.com. They offer good prices and good service.

Ryanair fly Santiago to Madrid for about 30 euro

I've just booked Ryanair tickets from Santiago to Madrid for the way back home. Then, Madrid back to my roots, Bucharest. Well, that was cheap... and I knew it will be! I watch them almost everyday and I start to understand the way they think, as a low-cost airline company.
The price per two tickets: 0 (zero!) euro
The taxes fees: 2,56 euro
The web-check in: 10,70 euro
The checked bags (2): 21,40 euro
Total amount: 34,66 euro (2 tickets!)
Another advice: pay online with Visa Electron (the only card that is free of charge!)

Bon camino everyone!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back