• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Oloron

Karl Oz

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena (2023)
I have been investigating the Camino Aragones with rising anticipation but have encountered some logistical problems. The problem is that subsequent to my arrival in Berlin in July I would have to make my way to Oloron (my preferred starting point). The nearest airport is Toulouse, which would involve a subsequent lengthy and circuitous train journey that would likely run into hours. None of the low-cost carriers such as Easyjet or Ryanair seem to connect with Biarritz or Bayonne. Bearing in mind that my time in Europe is limited, can anyone suggest an option that I may have overlooked, or offer any other advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The nearest airport is Pau, not Toulouse. From Germany to Oloron, the usual way is via Paris, because french traffic nearly always hits Paris, regardless if plane or train. If you want to get to Oloron as fast as possible, it would be better to aim at Paris than at Berlin for your long distance flight. From the Charles de Gaulle airport, there are connecting flights to Pau.

Beware, continuing from Pau airport can be difficult, as there are only sometimes taxis, few busses and no train station nearby. Rental cars are available, but are of not much use. Make sure you arrive at a time when there's a bus or have a taxi telephone number ready.

From Pau train station, it's an half an hour train ride to Oloron. There you can spent the night e.g. in the Relais du bastet, very recommendable.

Harald

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took the train from Biarritz to Pau and then connected to the train to Oloron. I remember arriving around noon and having to wait for Relias du Bastet to open which gave me time to explore Ste. Marie. Another option is to walk from Pau which I think takes about 3 days.

Last edited:
have you checked the international Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport? it flies to london, paris, brussels, bergamo and madrid.
behind the airport it is the train station of ossun from where trains run to pau where you have to change for oloron. there are supposed to be trains to pau every 4 hours, and to oloron every 20min.

here's the romerio site for the connections: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Lourdes-...MIqcGyycz92AIV17obCh3SSg4kEAAYASAAEgI1EvD_BwE.

I flew from Paris [but not from CdG airport, another smaller one] to Pau. I walked 10 KM from Pau airport to Lescar, and joined the camino there. Next day I walked to Oloron, the next day to Borse, and the next day to Somport. Another option for you perhaps, but time may beat you.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Karl Oz
I began my camino at Oloron, walking to the Camino Aragones at Somport and through to Santiago in the fall of 2016. I flew to Paris CDG and bus to Orly, then on to Pau, on the same Air France ticket. It was a mistake on my part to transfer to Orly, as the time between landing at CDG and taking off at Orly was 5.5 hours. I could have taken a connecting flight at CDG for a somewhat higher price. At Pau airport, there is a bus to the train station once an hour, which I took. There are also taxis, but you might have to book one (see the airport passenger information, available online in English). From there, trains are frequent to Oloron and arrive in town, so you can walk to your accommodation and begin your camino from wherever you stay in town.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Berlin is my initial destination due to family reasons, and I think we have confirmed that there is no convenient direct route between there and Oloron. I think the easiest route is a flight to Bordeaux and a train to Oloron. The latter takes just over 2 hours, which is not much I suppose, and has the advantage of avoiding navigating around Pau city/airport/station.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back