• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to oviedo

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hello everyone. Just trying to book flights for September /October. Looking at flying Dublin to Santander? Best option it seems. By the looks of it there's only 2 buses from airport a day which means an overnight in Santander which id prefer to avoid. Anyone know if there's a train? Looked up Renfe but can't find anything conclusive. Giving myself 14 days to walk primitivo plus 2 days at the end to swan around Santiago. Eek flights are very expensive early October flying back to Dublin. This message is more of a ramble 😄 but any suggestions most welcome

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you checked flying into AST/OVD?

I'm heading to the Primitivo in September: Dublin to Madrid then train/bus to Oviedo. I've booked an Aer Lingus flight home from Santiago but the other option was train from Santiago to Madrid and flight to Dublin. Have a look at the Rome to Rio site for info on trains etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started in Oviedo two years ago... Best option is to find a flight to Asturias airport and there are buses that will take you there. Great app for searching connections is Rome2Rio.com

There's a frequent bus from the airport to Santander train/bus station and then plenty of buses to Oviedo - typically, apart from the high-speed trains, buses are the best way to travel accross large parts of Spain

Hi @Wandalina, I was looking recently at the options from Dublin.

Firstly, there are no direct flights from Dublin to Asturias (OVD) airport.

There are buses to Oviedo from Bilbao and Santander, but they don't line up well with the October flight times from Dublin.

The cheapest and simplest option is probably to fly to Madrid and take a train to Oviedo (I got an October Ryanair flight yesterday for €19.99!) If you get the early morning flight from Dublin, there's a train at 11.45, arriving in Oviedo at 16.48. It's also worth checking out the flights from Madrid to OVD. There's one at 11.40, arriving in OVD at 12.50.

Happy planning and Buen Camino! The Primitivo is fab. Nuala

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I flew to Madrid and took the bus overnight directly from the airport to Oviedo - and got there around sunrise in August. A perfect time to start walking, and I found a café that opened at 6.30.

This was surprinsing me a little. The two cities are well comunicated.I have checked Santander - Oviedo and it looks like there are around 15 buses per day (www.alsa.es). Probably you have to go from the airport to Santander and from there to Oviedo.

From the airport to Santander you have a bus every 30 min. Same company, ALSA.

Several buses daily from Santander bus station. It is next to the FEVE train station. For trains (2 per day) you need to check out RENFE/FEVE not just RENFE. Train is slow but a lovely ride.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew to Madrid and then got the Oviedo train. It is great and you can book seats online

Hello everyone. Just trying to book flights for September /October. Looking at flying Dublin to Santander? Best option it seems. By the looks of it there's only 2 buses from airport a day which means an overnight in Santander which id prefer to avoid. Anyone know if there's a train? Looked up Renfe but can't find anything conclusive. Giving myself 14 days to walk primitivo plus 2 days at the end to swan around Santiago. Eek flights are very expensive early October flying back to Dublin. This message is more of a ramble 😄 but any suggestions most welcome
I did Primativo in May ( from Dublin)
Ryanair gets in to Santander around 1615 so your best bet is to take local bus to bus station in Santander. (every half hour)There are two
ALSA bus conections to Oviedo, one at 1750 and one at 1900. First gets in at 20.05 and second at 2145. You should catch the first as the local bus is very frequent. There is a train but its very slow narrow gauge line and last train is 1610 which you will miss. The Alsa bus is best bet. Good luck, its a beautiful route though tough!

I'm heading to the Primitivo in September: Dublin to Madrid then train/bus to Oviedo. I've booked an Aer Lingus flight home from Santiago but the other option was train from Santiago to Madrid and flight to Dublin. Have a look at the Rome to Rio site for info on trains etc.
Cheers ended up flying with Ryanair to Santander...Flying out from Santiago. Let's hope I can make it in 14 days

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did Primativo in May ( from Dublin)
Ryanair gets in to Santander around 1615 so your best bet is to take local bus to bus station in Santander. (every half hour)There are two
ALSA bus conections to Oviedo, one at 1750 and one at 1900. First gets in at 20.05 and second at 2145. You should catch the first as the local bus is very frequent. There is a train but its very slow narrow gauge line and last train is 1610 which you will miss. The Alsa bus is best bet. Good luck, its a beautiful route though tough!
Great advice thanks a million!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back