• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Pamplona from Barcelona

Leingang27

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to Walk the Camino Frances in Fall 2013
We are flying from the US to Barcelona where are going to spend several days visiting friends before beginning our pilgrimage in Roncesvalles. I believe that there is a train from Barcelona to Pamplona and then we can take a bus. The information I found on the forum regarding this is several years old. Is this still the case? What would the cost be? Would it be better to rent a car since there are two of us?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jane,

If my information is correct, there's still a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. In summer it departs twice a day (10 AM and 6 PM). In other seasons there's just the 6 PM bus. Here's the website (in Spanish): http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

I believe a train from Barcelona to Pamplona shouldn't be a problem either. As for your car rental dilemma, I'd recommend to take public transport. In Europe this is usually far cheaper than renting a car.

Buen Camino!
Tom

My first time doing the Camino I flew into Barcelona, took the 9am bus from Barcelona Sants Station to Pamplona (24 Euros) and waited for the transfer (4pm) to SJPDP at the Bus station in Pamplona. I think that the bus system would be a better logistics for you. I often read of people flying into Paris and doing 4-6 connections combo bus-train and have to cringe. Flying into Barcelona, getting on the bus to Pamplona, and waiting for the transfer right at the bus station in Pamplona could not have been less hassle-free. I prefer bus because it placed me in the bus path I needed to be to get to SJPDP. Check http://www.vibasa.com.

I am going back to the Camino next week and will be flying into Madrid as I will be starting from Logroño this time. Similar deal; ALSA bus from Barajas T4 to Logroño.

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Recently I took a high speed train from Barcelona to Pamplona. It's on the Renfre line, and I went to the train station the day before and bought a ticket. I think it was 36 Euros. The train left at 9:30 am and arrived in Pamplona at 1:30 pm. You can check their web site. Then, right directly in front of the train station is a bus stop where you can take a #9 bus (very little cost, but can't remember what) to the autobus station. Just ask the driver to let you know when to get off. When you get off the bus, you will walk right to the intersection, where you will see a modern looking building on your left on the other side of the street. It doesn't look like a bus station, it's simply an area to take escalators down to the bus station. Anyway, just ask people in the area "Donde está el autobus?" It's a 5 minute walk from where you get off the #9 bus to the bus station or less. When you get to the bus station, go to the ticket counter for Artieda and buy a ticket for the 6 pm bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles for about 6 euros. Then you will have a several hour wait where you can eat/drink in the cafeteria or use their internet computers for a nominal amount. The bus is supposed to take one hour, but I think mine was more like 90 minutes. I would definitely recommend this method to renting a car. Less stressful for sure.

Thanks so much! I have my choices now and I think it should work out very well. I am preparing by learning as much Spanish as I can and we are working at our conditioning. We are looking forward to a great experience full of a lot of surprises. We leave on Sept 1. I can hardly wait.

If you find yourself with a few hours in Pamplona it is easy to leave the bus station, cross the road walk left to the road junction, cross that road (El Corte Ingles is there if I remember rightly) turn right and then left straight away and if you walk straight on you will get to Plaza de Sarasate where there are bars and a pleasanter atmosphere than just sitting in the bus station. It sounds like a few rights and lefts but it is almost straight, only about 5 minutes walk.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back