• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Getting to Pamplona from Bilbao Airport

Strangford

Time of past OR future Camino
Hope to do first Camino starting 22 September
We hope to start in Pamplona. Should I fly into Bilbao from Dublin and travel by bus to Pamplona or should I fly into Barcelona and get the train to Pamplona. Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bilbao? Please don't rush off and grab the first train/bus out of town. Ease into the timelessness and culture the Camino offers and visit the Guggenheim Museum of Frank Gehry no need to go in and the nearby Basque Museum do go in. Get your Credenciial stamped at the cathedral as a souvenir and then hop a train/bus for Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We hope to start in Pamplona. Should I fly into Bilboa from Dublin and travel by bus to Pamplona or should I fly into Barcelona and get the train to Pamplona. Thank you
I have used Bilbao to bus to Burgos and on another occasion to bus to Pamplona. However, I did stay overnight in Bilbao on both occasions. As its a mid day flight out of Dublin, it was more convenient for me to stay the night and get an early morning bus to Pamplona and start walking as soon as I arrived up to Cizur Menor. In fact, from Bilbao there are direct buses to Pamplona, Logrono and Burgos. If you choose to stay, try the Pil Pil hostel in the San Mames district. About 5 minute from the bus station and in the shadow of the football stadium. It is good clean and includes breakfast. As it is on the Camino del Norte, it is used by pilgrims on that route so you can get a Sello on your credencials. Also, about 20 minutes or so walk from the Guggenheim if you wish to visit there before starting your camino. The bus ride is a couple of hours. Dont know how long a journey it is from Barcelona but would imagine it would be a fair bit longer. Plus, if you miss the bus there is another not long after as it is a regular service

By the way, airport bus to bus station leaves from a stop to your right as you exit the airport. No need to cross any roads
Thank you for your reply. I think I will do as you say and stay overnight in Bilbao because that flight is late afternoon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your reply. I think I will do as you say and stay overnight in Bilboa because that flight is late afternoon.
Do check out Pil Pil hostel, but you should get food fairly early. There are a couple of bar/restaurants just round the corner but stop serving food about 5 or 6. Personally, I brought some Cup a Soups, got some bread and that did me until breakfast. There is a decent kitchen and as I said, breakfast is included. If you are travelling on the Irish Passport Card, this hostel was the only place I had a problem but they eventually recognised the word 'passport' 😂

It is possible to get the 6pm bus to Pamplona from the bus station in Bilbao, after the Dublin flight that is due in to airport around 4.15. The bus from the airport is easy to catch, as tpmchugh says. I think the price is 1.75 but I forget, really. I got my last ticket online as I had chosen to travel on one of the worst days of the year - the Friday of San Fermin. Actually, given that you have to get in behind the building facing the buses, to get to the desk to buy your ticket, even though you have to pay about three euro to the company rome2rio suggests, it is worth doing it so you just have to show up at the bus rank and keep your eyes peeled for the bus to Pamplona. Seats are assigned, so no hassle. Then you can sleep in Pamplona and head off early in the morning to climb el Perdón. An alternative to staying over in Bilbao. You have choices to make!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you that sounds good. I wondered if I would have enough time to catch the bus as I have never flown into Bilbao before

Back