• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Ponferrada from Santander

windmill walker

Time of past OR future Camino
We (husband and self) are looking forward to walking part of the camino and hope to start in Ponferrada. We fly into Santander arriving lunchtime on Sun 7th April. Had thought of hiring a car one way to Ponferrada but can only find on one site at prohibitive rate. Would be grateful for suggestions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The slow way is on the train. The FEVE leaves Santander at 16.10 to Oviedo arrives 20.40, and then bus to Ponferrada.
The ALSA bus leaves Santander for Oviedo - approx 3 hour journey. Bus from Oviedo to Ponferrada is another 3 hours.
If checking bus times on ALSA you need to check the 'query no date' to call up the timetables. For Sunday buses you need to make sure that there is a 'D' in the listing (LMXJVSD)

Thank-you very much for all that information. I've looked at all the options and was a bit dispirited by the long journey time .... then went back to the car hire sites and by keeping the car until mon am (we will spend night in Ponferrada) it becomes much more affordable - about the same price per person as public transport. Apparently dropping off a car on a sunday evening in ponferrada is an expensive thing to do - so in the case of hiring a car on a sun - keeping until mon am is better - more is less.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back