• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to porto

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
Hi there

I am going to be getting into santiago on Sunday and then trying to walk to finisterre starting on Monday. I hope to get back to santiago on Thursday morning as I need to get to Porto Thursday.
Anyone know a good way to get to Porto from santiago?
Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there

I am going to be getting into santiago on Sunday and then trying to walk to finisterre starting on Monday. I hope to get back to santiago on Thursday morning as I need to get to Porto Thursday.
Anyone know a good way to get to Porto from santiago?
Thank you

The bus will get you from Santiago to Porto no problem, Dean. One benefit (or tribulation? :rolleyes: ) is that you can see pilgrims walking towards Santiago from the bus, and wish you were out there with them!

Or, you can book a seat on the train from Santiago to Vigo, then change trains in Vigo to Porto. The bus might be your best bet though--more buses than trains running each day.

The bus will get you from Santiago to Porto no problem, Dean. One benefit (or tribulation? :rolleyes: ) is that you can see pilgrims walking towards Santiago from the bus, and wish you were out there with them!

Or, you can book a seat on the train from Santiago to Vigo, then change trains in Vigo to Porto. The bus might be your best bet though--more buses than trains running each day.
Thanks heather. I'm two days away from santiago and have exactly a week to get to finisterre then Porto. Hanging on to staying in the moment but all of a sudden it seems like there are 100 plans to make so I can make it to Porto and catch my plane.
Oh well...
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the bus station when I get to santiago and book a ticket so I make sure I get one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks heather. I'm two days away from santiago and have exactly a week to get to finisterre then Porto. Hanging on to staying in the moment but all of a sudden it seems like there are 100 plans to make so I can make it to Porto and catch my plane.
Oh well...
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the bus station when I get to santiago and book a ticket so I make sure I get one.

It's easy peasy, Dean. But yeah, go down to the station (a bit less than a 30 minute walk from the Cathedral), get a ticket when you get in, then go back into town to enjoy the rest of your time. I highly recommend getting a big bar of Valor chocolate or a cafe con leche, going to the Cathedral plaza, sitting down and enjoying the sounds, sights and aromas until you have to leave. A taxi to the bus station is actually pretty cheap, if you get caught up in that particular moment (as I did, hahaha!) and need to get to the station pronto!
I've never heard such acoustics as those in front of the Cathedral. I can imagine them even now. Beautiful. Like being underwater and hearing the world above, but knowing you are not drowning. I don't know if that is the best description!

@Deanpf

There are 3 Alsa buses from Santiago to Porto next Thursday: at 10 am, at 12 am and at 5 pm.
One ticket costs€33.
It takes about 4 hours to the city center of Porto and it stops at the airport. Other possible stops are Vigo, Tui, Braga etc.

About two weeks ago all the buses were completo the day I wanted to travel so if I knew when travelling I would get my ticket right away.

You can buy your ticket in the same building than the new Pilgrim´s Welcome Office.

Last edited:
If the direct bus(es) from Santiago to Porto are full, you can make the route changing buses in Vigo. www.monbus.es from Santiago to Vigo and www.autna.com from Vigo to Porto. Autna buses from Vigo to Porto stop both at the airport of Porto and at downtown Porto.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.