• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port....

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Question -

This will be my first time on the Camino (doing the Frances in 2014), and it will also be my first time to France and Spain. I would like to see as much of these countries as possible before starting my Camino as I have substantial extra time.

So I was thinking about going from my home city in the USA to Paris and taking some days off there, then taking a train to Lourdes to see the Marian apparition shrine there (I'm Catholic), then going to Saint-Jean.

But after research I found that flying from my home city to Madrid, then taking a train to Pamplona, is much cheaper.

My point is:
Basically.... is my more expensive plan worth it, or should I stick with the cheaper flight plan?
Also.... are there any plans flying from the USA even cheaper than this?
Finally, what is the best airline to take from the USA?

Thank you so much, and for all the pilgrims about to set out on a Camino, BUEN CAMINO!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ALSO:

I am traveling in June/July 2014 if that is any help to you.

If you plan to start out by visiting Paris, I would recommend that you get home through Paris too. There are direct flights to Paris (not MAdrid) for less than 100$. I did this in May 2011...left Santiago late afternoon and got to my airport hotel at 7:30 PM with the free shuttle. Went to dinner and had a perfect night in a single room! THe next day, I took my time to take the same shuttle back to the airport at 11AM. No stress.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
CaminoGen said:
If you plan to start out by visiting Paris, I would recommend that you get home through Paris too. There are direct flights to Paris (not MAdrid) for less than 100$. I did this in May 2011...left Santiago late afternoon and got to my airport hotel at 7:30 PM with the free shuttle. Went to dinner and had a perfect night in a single room! THe next day, I took my time to take the same shuttle back to the airport at 11AM. No stress.

CaminoGen-

Wow! What airline did you take to get such a great price?
I believe I might just go back through Paris as well now.

I flew Iberia. Go to kayak.com and you'll get all to compare prices. The last time, expedia had the best deal (paid 76$ for a flight on June 19 2011). This year, Vueling has the best price at 106$ for October 23. Hint, cheapest flights are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

I went to Lourdes after my first Camino. I was fortunate to go to Fatima after my second. If you have the time, perhaps you can get to Fatima as well. I had an incredible experience there with a night mass/procession.

¡Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With an abundance of time you could consider a Camino starting in Lourdes through to Jaca in Spain on the Argones route, and up to connect with the Frances route or see more of France go from Lourdes to St. Jean. Once you get to Santiago you can make a left and go south to Fatima rather than west Finisterre.

I know others have done the Lourdes to Fatima pilgrimage. You can search the boards for more info.

Tony

I agree. The walk from Lourdes is spectacular! I did it last year. I posted photos on my blog and there are plenty of other blogs on this stretch as well. Worth consideration.

Hi Camino 2014....I was comeing from the U.S also and found in the past that flying into Toulouse France, which has a small airport to get around in, with a bus going into Toulouse... then staying a night in Toulouse because so much history and things to see... then the SNCF train to Lourdes, stay a night there, many places to stay and very lovely to see. Then the SNCF train to Bayonne and then you conect with another train to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Very stress free way to start the Camino.
You can book all this on the computer in advance...watch for good deals.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you have some time before you have to buy...I signed up for email alerts for sale fares for Paris and Madrid at http://www.airfarewatchdog.com. There are probably other sites as well. This way you can monitor fares for a while and get an idea of what a sale price looks like from your home city or other US airports

I did a RT to/from Paris and used trains France.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back