• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Sarria

Elaine Longhorn

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April 2019
Hello my name is Elaine and this is my first walk on the Camino
We are arriving at Santiago airport at 09.10 on 24th April,
What is the best way to get to Sarria
Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Elaine,

Rome2Rio is a great resource when trying to navigate public transport in Europe.

I haven't made the journey myself so others may know of tricks but looks like your best bet is just to take a coach (don't worry they're significantly more comfortable than the National Express coaches I've been on) leaving at 3pm and arriving in Sarria at 5.45. 50% off if you book in advance at Monbus.

You could maybe get there earlier by train but it involves a change so I wouldn't advise it.

Edit- Or do as @Raggy suggests. Though given our potentially dubious passport status by that time it may be a bit of a rush to get to the Bus Station in time for the 11am.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You do not need to start from Sarria. There are a number of caminos that get you to SdC. The following is most of a post I wrote earlier today after someone wrote about taking a bus to Lugo to get to Sarria.

I've heard that Lugo is a wonderful town to explore, that walking from there qualifies you for a compostela, and gets you away from crowds for a few days until you join the Camino Frances.

You do not need to start from Sarria. There are a number of caminos that get you to SdC. The following is most of a post I wrote earlier today after someone wrote about taking a bus to Lugo to get to Sarria.

I've heard that Lugo is a wonderful town to explore, that walking from there qualifies you for a compostela, and gets you away from crowds for a few days until you join the Camino Frances.
Lugo is on the Camino Primitivo, which merges with the Frances at Melide.
According to this thread, you'll pass a 101km marker there ... So I guess you should qualify for a Compostela if you walk from there on foot and collect two stamps per day. Might be worth checking that with @t2andreo before you choose it as your starting point.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for that but have made our plans now so probably won't change them at this stage plus we are booked in at Sarria for our first night.
Kindest regards Elaine

Thank you for that but have made our plans now so probably won't change them at this stage plus we are booked in at Sarria for our first night.
Kindest regards Elaine

It is a lovely walk from Sarria too!

Buen Camino Elaine
Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many thanks to yourself and Dorpie for the information. It has been a great help.
Hopefully we will get the 11.00 am bus but if not we will take it our stride
Elaine
Hi Elaine
Just read this post about the journey by bus which seems relatively straightforward! Im going to check it out & may take this option

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back