• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Seville

Squeak

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ruta de la Norte 2014
Camino Via de la Plata 2016
Hi folks, my wife and I will be travelling the Via de Palta next year in September/October. We did Ruta de la Norte last year and loved it.
So next year is the Plata, our question is whats the best/easiest way to get to Seville from Perth Western Australia. I realise that there are no direct flight to Seville from OZ.
So how are people arriving there?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ad
Hi folks, my wife and I will be travelling the Via de Palta next year in September/October. We did Ruta de la Norte last year and loved it.
So next year is the Plata, our question is whats the best/easiest way to get to Seville from Perth Western Australia. I realise that there are no direct flight to Seville from OZ.
So how are people arriving there?
Thanks
Adelaide-Dubai-Madrid, train to Atocha station and Ave train to Sevilla. Should take about 26 hours :)

The connection to the train station Atocha is right at the Madrid airport.
A simple metro type link. Easy to do.
Direct train to Sevillia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like flying into Barcelona. Smallish airport and BCN is wonderful for a day or two rest either end of the Camino. Emirates has good flight there from Syd or Melb. Just an option

Oops. Meant to also say that you can take AVE high speed train to Sevilla from BCN. Don't forget to allow a couple of days to enjoy wandering Sevilla and enjoying the hidden tapas bars

The closest Major Airport to Seville is Madrid Barajas (MAD).

Seville is connected to Madrid by frequent train service. The is bus service to Seville from the airport.

Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Renfe train
http://www.renfe.com/

Socibus
http://socibus.es/wp/

Spains airports are operated by Aena. Each airport website has information about destinations and airlines. Several airports in Spain are connected to major centers such as London, Paris, Barcelona and Rome. However, most of these require that you travel through Madrid to get to Seville.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Lisboa is connected to Seville by bus.
http://www.ana.pt/pt-PT/Aeroportos/Lisboa/Lisboa/Paginas/HomeLisboa.aspx/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As you scout out all the options, I would make sure to check the "multi-city" option, which would be flying from home to Sevilla and then from Santiago to home. You may find that it is not much more expensive than flying in and out of Madrid, Barcelona, etc. I've done that for years now and it makes my life so much easier, especially on the way home. I fly from Santiago on a 9 am flight and am in Barajas ready to catch an early afternoon flight to the US. Otherwise I would have to come in the night before, stay in a hotel, etc etc.

The fast train (AVE) to Sevilla is quick and easy and very pleasant, but it would not be as quick and easy as transferring to another flight in the airport upon arrival. Of course, you may want to visit the city you arrive in, in which case the AVE is the obvious answer. It's only if you add the internal flight on to your international ticket that the flying option makes sense, at least that's been my experience. Buen camino, Laurie

Airlines flying from Perth to Madrid with a route involving a single change of planes include:

Qatar Airways (changing planes in Doha)
Emirates (changing planes in Dubai)
Etihad Airways (changing planes in Abu Dhabi; not daily)

There are more options to fly from Perth to Madrid but they involve two changes of planes along the route but it'll be too long to list them all here. Don't disregard them though because some of them might be cheaper on a specific travel date...

Once in Madrid, you can easily reach Sevilla by surface transport (either high speed AVE train or if you are in a tight budget, a bus). Ask for details if you need them.

The advice provided by peregrina2000's of looking for fares for an open-jaw ticket (outbound: Perth-Sevilla; inbound: Santiago de Compostela-Perth) isn't a bad one if you are short of time or if you don't plan to allow yourself some time to visit part of Spain in addition to the camino you'll walk. Among the airlines flying from Perth to Madrid, Qatar Airlines is probably the best bet for such an open-jaw ticket (the legs from Madrid to Sevilla and from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid would -likely- be operated by Iberia -or an affiliate of Iberia- as both airlines are part of Oneworld) but ask a good travel agent to know what works out cheaper on your specific travel dates.

If you want to visit Barcelona and prefer to fly there, airlines making the route from Perth to Barcelona with just one change of planes along the route include Qatar Airways, Emirates and Singapore Airlines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back