• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Seville

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am looking at walking the Via de la Plata starting mid March 2020 and am looking for suggestions for travel from Sydney Australia to Seville.( Preferably by Aircraft););)

We may see you on the trail! We begin in Zafra March 2 and will be walking slllloooooowwwww.
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a flight directly into Seville. If not, a flight to Madrid, and bus/train to Seville.

I am looking at walking the Via de la Plata starting mid March 2020 and am looking for suggestions for travel from Sydney Australia to Seville.( Preferably by Aircraft););)
Fly Sydney to Madrid.

Take Renfe Train from Madrid Atocha to Seville Santa Justa. Its high speed and there are several trains daily. http://www.renfe.com/

Rome to Rio suggests flying Sydney to Seville via Barcelona.

You can catch train from Barcelona to Madrid and Madrid to Seville. It might work out cheaper.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always turn to ITA Matrix to explore my options - It takes some learning but it lets me do some clever searching. For March 2020, Etihad or Emirates might currently be the cheapest options. You can fly to Madrid or Barcelona and then take a domestic flight or train to Seville (ditto from Santiago back to the gateway airport).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 14.26.03.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 14.26.03.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 8
Avoid Barcelona, in case of further riots breaking out!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Avoid Barcelona, in case of further riots breaking out!

I would think that a general strike in any other city might prove to be a bigger hassle than the small possibility of a riot breaking out.

But to the OP : flying to Madrid seems most sensible in terms of connections.

I always turn to ITA Matrix to explore my options - It takes some learning but it lets me do some clever searching. For March 2020, Etihad or Emirates might currently be the cheapest options. You can fly to Madrid or Barcelona and then take a domestic flight or train to Seville (ditto from Santiago back to the gateway airport).
Fly Sydney to Madrid.

Take Renfe Train from Madrid Atocha to Seville Santa Justa. Its high speed and there are several trains daily. http://www.renfe.com/

Rome to Rio suggests flying Sydney to Seville via Barcelona.

You can catch train from Barcelona to Madrid and Madrid to Seville. It might work out cheaper.
Thanks for your suggestions Raggy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am doing much the same thing, also in mid to late April. However, I can only walk the first third or so of theis route at this time. I will return in future to finish it.

My travel will be Miami - Madrid - Sevilla on Iberia. I am booking an "open jaw." This means I can return Santiago - Madrid - Miami. The airfare is not materially different from a route trip to Sevilla.

The point is, as was made above, that the easiest way to get to Sevilla to start the VDLP is to fly, via Madrid.

Hope this helps.

I am doing much the same thing, also in mid to late April. However, I can only walk the first third or so of theis route at this time. I will return in future to finish it.

My travel will be Miami - Madrid - Sevilla on Iberia. I am booking an "open jaw." This means I can return Santiago - Madrid - Miami. The airfare is not materially different from a route trip to Sevilla.

The point is, as was made above, that the easiest way to get to Sevilla to start the VDLP is to fly, via Madrid.

Hope this helps.
Thanks t2andreo. Thats good advice regarding an open jaw return. That way I won't have to lock myself into a particular finishing date.

Thanks t2andreo. Thats good advice regarding an open jaw return. That way I won't have to lock myself into a particular finishing date.
Open jaw gives you a different airport, but you still have to pick the dates. It does save the time not having to travel back to the first destination airport.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fly to Madrid. (I am puzzled why Barcelona is suggested since it adds unnecessary extra time and distance.) I expect carriers like Qatar Airways or Emirates have a one-connection trip of about 22 hours. Then take the train to Sevilla - it is very quick. You can then afterward easily return to Madrid from SdC for your flight home.

Open jaw can be useful but if you're not 100% sure that you'll finish up in Santiago, you might prefer to book the last domestic leg separately (i.e. different PNR). Depending on the conditions of the ticket that you buy, you may be required to take every flight - failure to fly from Santiago to Madrid might result in the cancellation of the rest of the itinerary (i.e. the Madrid to Sydney part of the trip).

Fly to Madrid. (I am puzzled why Barcelona is suggested since it adds unnecessary extra time and distance.)
If you're planning to take the train to Seville, then MAD probably works out quicker. But if you opt for flights all the way, Sydney to Seville via BCN is marginally better than via Madrid for journey duration and distance. In truth, though, there really isn't much difference:
  • SYD-MAD-SVQ is slightly further (11,230 mi) than SYD-BCN-SVQ (11,186 mi). See screenshots from Great Circle Mapper below.
  • On a random date that I chose, the shortest total duration for flights from SYD to SVQ was via BCN. See screenshot of flights sorted by Duration.
Since there is so little in it, I don't think that time and distance are the deciding factors. Cost, airline preference, and ease of connections would be more important considerations for me
  • Over a one month period (Apr 2020), that I checked on the ITA website, itineraries via BCN were marginally cheaper than via MAD - maybe 20 to 30 AUD cheaper.
  • Ease of connections is probably a wash. BCN probably requires a change of terminal. MAD is a monster airport.
  • Airline preference ... whose sardine can do you prefer to be packed into?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.06.27.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.06.27.png
    688.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.07.12.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.07.12.png
    690.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.09.21.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.09.21.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 0
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

There is no fast way but I would recommend flying to Madrid and then taking the train to Sevilla. There are hourly trains all day. There are also several daily flight options Madrid to Sevilla.

Kayak.com for flights
Renfe.com for trains

I've done it 3 times from Perth, using Qatar to Madrid, then the fabulous Ave train to Sevilla. I agree with the posts above that the return international to Madrid is the most sensible option.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back