• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPDP

JerseyWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago (2012)
Leon to Santiago (2015)
SJPP to Leon(2020)
I am planning to walk from SJPDP to Leon staring in late April. Any suggestions on getting to SJPDP from Madrid? Also, how far should we walk the first day? Should we make reservations? And finally, what kind of weather should we expect?
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you fly into Madrid, you can walk right out of the terminal and onto a bus to SJPP.
You can do the same for a bus to Pamplona, then catch a bus to SJPP from there.
www.movelia.es is a good website to check the bus schedules from the airport.

Remember, when putting in the date to put it in Day/Month/Year

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Renfe Cercanias from Madrid Airport to Chamartin station. Renfe Train from Madrid Chamartin to Irun/Hendaye.

Alternatively take ALSA bus from Madrid airport or Avenida de America to San Sebastian. San Sebastian Renfe and bus station are the same location. Then Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

If your train terminates in Irun Renfe station, take Metro Donostealdea from Irun Colon to Gare d'Hendaye.

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

You can make this faster by taking a flight from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is 3 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Or take a flight from Madrid to Biarritz BIQ. Local Chronoplus bus from BIQ to Gare Bayonne.

Last edited:
There are limited options for walking from SJPdP. There are but two small albergues between SJPdP and Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon. If you can get a bed at either it is worth trying to shorten that first day because SJPdP to Roncesvalle is a long day for tenderfoot pilgrims.

Remember, when putting in the date to put it in Day/Month/Year
And the Spanish calendar week runs from Monday to Sunday. You might goof by making a booking for what you may think is the first Sunday of the month only to find out it is Monday. I goofed like this but luckily noticed the mistake in time to fix things up when it was easy and relatively cheap.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I have walked CF three times, the first two we flew from the US to Madrid, spent one night there to conquer jetlag, took a train from the Atocha train station to Pamplona, spent a night there, then a bus to St jean. The bus leaves around 10 am and with a stop in Roncesvalles, arrives in St jean around 11:30. We scramble up the steep hill to the Pilgrim's office to get our first stamp (it closes at noon, then reopens again in the afternoon).

The bus leaves around 10 am and with a stop in Roncesvalles, arrives in St jean around 11:30.
There are from 0 to 4 buses daily depending on the time of year.

Roughly the ALSA/CONDA schedule has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service

There is year-round (almost daily) service from Pamplona to Roncesvalles on Autocares Artieda. Also,
PLM Autocares has year-round twice-weekly service for Pamplona to Valcarlos and Pekotxeta (essentially Arneguy, France).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back