• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPDP

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Flying from US, Looking for opinions on getting to St. Jean. I know Madrid to Pamploma then a taxi or Paris to Bayonne......etc. But would like to hear your experiences on what was better for you. Pro's vs cons. I only have 15 days to walk not including travel. Thanks in advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fly into Madrid.
Walk out of the station and nab a bus to Pamplona.
Spend a night there recovering from jet lag.
Maybe spend a day exploring Pamplona (not a Monday)
Now you've seen Pamplona and can skip it when you walk back through, avoiding the waves of pilgrims stopping in the Brierley stages.
Next day, bus directly to SJPP.
That's my favorite way.

Fly into Madrid.
Now you've seen Pamplona and can skip it when you walk back through, avoiding the waves of pilgrims stopping in the Brierley stages.
That's my favorite way.
I like that! I like it a lot!

Fly into Madrid.

I like that! I like it a lot!
Flying straight to Madrid, instead of landing first in France, might reduce the complications of travel through different countries during Covid times. If things get too complicated with testing and documentation, or if the weather is bad in the Pyrenees, you could easily make a last-minute change of plans to start from a point in Spain - Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fly into Madrid.
That's my favorite way.
March or April not bus from Pamplona to SJPDP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Look at flying to Bilbao or Bordeaux, depending on your arrival time it might help you get to SJPdP quicker by bus/train.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
March or April not bus from Pamplona to SJPDP
Not during the covid era maybe not. But typically in March there is a 14:30 bus and starting somewhere near the start of April there is an additional 17:30 bus. The bus is run by Conda but that is partially owned by ALSA and so you may see it referred to with both names. Generally you cannot see the schedule on the website until a few months before the date you want to book so start looking in January. When using the website and entering SJPdP for the destination you have to spell out the name as Saint. If you use St. the computer will not find the town. After entering a few letters the computer will start giving you auto-completion suggestions to pick from anyway.

So you do not have to take a taxi.

Not during the covid era maybe not. But typically in March there is a 14:30 bus and starting somewhere near the start of April there is an additional 17:30 bus. The bus is run by Conda but that is partially owned by ALSA and so you may see it referred to with both names. Generally you cannot see the schedule on the website until a few months before the date you want to book so start looking in January. When using the website and entering SJPdP for the destination you have to spell out the name as Saint. If you use St. the computer will not find the town. After entering a few letters the computer will start giving you auto-completion suggestions to pick from anyway.

So you do not have to take a taxi.
Thank you! I was pretty sure I'd done this in April but it was years ago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's not true.
There are many museums that are open on Mondays.
There are???
I must say I've never found one?

I do know the following are closed on Mondays:
Burgos Museum of Evolution
Burgos Museum
Museu de Navarra in Pamplona
Museu de Chocolate Astorga
Museu Romano La Ergastula in Leon
Museu de Tiempo in Leon
Museu del Pueblo Gallego in Sto de Compostella

These are the ones I've been most interested in seeing...???

Last edited:
Just a note of warning: inclement weather can float the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles, dashing whatever plans you have to cross the Pyrenees with spectacular views. Before you make any plans, consult when you will be LEGALLY allowed to cross that pass and then consider a Plan B if it’s snowing. In early April 2018, a snowstorm closed that route for several days and the locals said it was NOT unusual.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's not true.
There are many museums that are open on Mondays.
We always assume they will be closed.

Mainly though this is a good opportunity for me to pass on a tip from Peg. She says that she always gets good leads for cheap eats from art museum staff. She figures that they have good taste but little money.

There are???

Burgos Museum
Museu de Tiempo in Leon

Several in Madrid are open, such as El Prado and Reina Sofia. Maybe just major museums in big cities.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Flying from US, Looking for opinions on getting to St. Jean. I know Madrid to Pamploma then a taxi or Paris to Bayonne......etc. But would like to hear your experiences on what was better for you. Pro's vs cons. I only have 15 days to walk not including travel. Thanks in advance
We have done flight to Madrid, train to Pamplona, and taxi to SJPP.

There are???

Burgos Museum
Museu de Tiempo in Leon

And the castle in Ponferrada and the Portico de Gloria in Santiago 🙂

We always assume they will be closed.

Mainly though this is a good opportunity for me to pass on a tip from Peg. She says that she always gets good leads for cheap eats from art museum staff. She figures that they have good taste but little money.
Indeed. Peg is right re museum staff; when working at the Frick in NYC decades ago staff always knew bargain spots. On the camino
lorry drivers, etc. can recommend good places.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took an early Flixbus at 6:45 from Bilbao to Bayonne on 3/30, 2019. I had 2 hours for sightseeing Bayonne before taking a train to SJPP (arriving around 13:00).

We asked the pilgrim office at SJPP if we could go thru the Napoleon Route on 3/31. They said it was possible if the weather ok. Thank GOD, it was a beautiful sunshine day on 3/31, so we went thru the Napoleon Route, enjoying the view very much. Later on, we heard the Napoleon Route was closed because of heavy snow on 4/3.

The above is just my experience how to reach SJPP and of taking the Napoleon at the end of March.

Last edited:
Rich, do the Portugués from Porto. Perfect for your time frame. You will love it. I’m crawling my way from Samos right now.
I'm either doing the Primitivo. Oviedo to Santiago or CF from SJPDP to Burgos most likely in March or early April.......

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back