• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPP

Hitman0

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2022
Getting to SJPP from Paris
I will be arriving at the Paris Airport on the morning of May 3rd and am hoping to travel to SJPdP by train/bus on that day, staying in SJPdP overnight before getting started on my Camino. Is that practical? Any advice would be appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you that pressed for time? If the planets line up just right (the flight is on time, no delays in customs, you know where you are going, your checked bag arrives with you) then it can be done. You will have jet lag. You might still need to get a Covid pass from a French pharmacy. But why plan for the travel day from hell when you can spend a night in Paris near the Montparnasse station, get your bearings, have a nice meal, and take the train the next day? I usually spend a couple of days in Paris before heading south. It's a pilgrimage, not a race.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Hitman0. On my first Camino, I did exactly want you are asking about. It was the one and only time. The idea of making all the right connections, which I did, was very stressful! Luckily everything fell into place, but it could easily have been otherwise. Second, I was exhausted by the time I arrived in SJPP. Traveling all night from the States and then all day really could have been avoided. Rick M makes some really good points above. On my second Camino trip into Paris, I spent the day and overnighted in Paris. Although I was tired, it was delightful to walk around the city and enjoy some good food. After a good night’s sleep, I took an early morning Uber to Gare Montparnasse, caught the first train to Bayonne and a second one into SJPP, and arrived in the early afternoon. This time, not being exhausted, I was able to enjoy walking around Saint Jean and felt full of energy the next morning as I set off across the Pyrenees. If I made any mistake on my first Camino, it was that I rushed it. Slow down, take some rest days along The Way, and enjoy the pilgrimage. It will still go by all too quickly. Maybe that’s why I keep returning for more. Buen Camino!

I will be arriving at the Paris Airport on the morning of May 3rd and am hoping to travel to SJPdP by train/bus on that day, staying in SJPdP overnight before getting started on my Camino. Is that practical? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hitman0 - I have done what you propose twice. Yes, there is stress involved, but maybe it is just another story to be told. The night of rest in SJPdP before walking will be enough. You’ll be raring to go!

One thing you can do to take some pressure off is to get your credential first. You can buy them here off Ivar.
On my first Camino I did pretty much what you did, but still had to rush up to the pilgrim office on arrival in St Jean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We fly on Monday and was scratching my head on how to do the planes, trains, and auto buses from Paris-timing was tight, will our flight be delayed, how long will it really take to get the covid passport, train connections... I had the brilliant idea to consult the minds on the forum. Y'all triggered a paradigm shift for me and we're going to stay near the Gare Montparnasse to pause a night before training down to SJPdP the next morning. Big exhale. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Good decision!
I flew into Paris for my 2019 Camino. Since I had never been to Paris before I took the opportunity to spend three nights there. It was a great place to get over my jet lag.

After reading all of your great feedback and reviewing my tight schedule I have decided to spend a night in Paris near the train station, then travel to SJPdP he following day. I have the time to spare and I think I will be in better shape to start my journey.
Thanks to all

Brett

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After reading all of your great feedback and reviewing my tight schedule I have decided to spend a night in Paris near the train station, then travel to SJPdP he following day. I have the time to spare and I think I will be in better shape to start my journey.

I too will be getting to Paris the morning of May 3 but will be spending two nights there to give my body and system a chance to balance before heading to SJPP. (And as a wise person once said, Paris is always a good idea anyway :) Buen camino!

A friend and I are flying into Paris, then 3 hours later flying to Biarritz (we left enough time between those flights to go through customs, and get whatever pass we may need at that time (Covid requirements change occasionally). We will have a shuttle waiting for us at Biarritz which will take us to SJPP (30-45 minute ride). We want to get to SJPP and do our resting there before we head out On our pilgrimage. We decided one long day of travel would be better for us than two days of travel. By the way, we are arriving in Paris the morning of May 3 too!

I did exactly that but stayed 2 nights in St Jean P de P. The train leaves from Montparnasse to Bayonne and then there is a darling local train just across the platform that takes you up the mountain. Lots of backpacks and poles on that train. The advantage for me in staying 2nights was that I got over my jet lag and the owner of the albergue was able to advise on weather conditions going over the mountain. The first day was in pouring rain but as he rightly predicted the next day was a long dreamy walk down to Roncesvalles. I transferred my backpack both days ‘cause I’m old!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A friend and I are flying into Paris, then 3 hours later flying to Biarritz
It might be a good idea to have "Plan B" if your flight into Paris is delayed :eek:.

If your flight from Paris to Biarritz is on the same ticket then no problem :D.

But then you will need to inform your shuttle of the change of time . . . :(.

Happens a lot these days . . .

We fly on Monday and was scratching my head on how to do the planes, trains, and auto buses from Paris-timing was tight, will our flight be delayed, how long will it really take to get the covid passport, train connections... I had the brilliant idea to consult the minds on the forum. Y'all triggered a paradigm shift for me and we're going to stay near the Gare Montparnasse to pause a night before training down to SJPdP the next morning. Big exhale. Thanks to everyone for your input.
We arrived in Paris at 0700, dropped out backpacks at the hotel and spent the day walking around taking pictures and evaluating the quality of Parisian wine, charcuterie, and crepes. After an only slightly jet lagged night of sleep (thank you Tylenol PM) and a relaxed morning we are on the train to Bayonne. Thanks to those who suggested trying to get from the plane, through customs, baggage claim, covid passport, and down to the train platform in one hour might be a stretch. It would have been; instead yesterday and today were stress free.

One more question - I am starting from SJPdP on May 5th after taking some of your advice and spending a night in Paris and a second in SJPdP before starting out. I have booked a spot in Roncesvalles, but have not booked beyond that as I do not want to be any more "scheduled" than necessary. Will I find somewhere to sleep beyond Roncesvalles, or do I need to book something?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Book Zubiri! Its that, along with Hornillos and Portomarin, that are the toughest towns for accommodation on the Frances.

One more question - I am starting from SJPdP on May 5th after taking some of your advice and spending a night in Paris and a second in SJPdP before starting out. I have booked a spot in Roncesvalles, but have not booked beyond that as I do not want to be any more "scheduled" than necessary. Will I find somewhere to sleep beyond Roncesvalles, or do I need to book something?
May is one of the two most popular months to start from SJPdP. Zubiri is a known "choke point." I would recommend booking there or in Larrasoaña.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back