• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to St. Jean from Ireland

Beardysteve1

Hi all,

I'm from Northern Ireland and am just wondering what is the easiest way to get the St. Jean Pied-du-pont? Any Irish on the forum let me know how they did the first leg of their trip? Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz - when booked initially it was early morning flight which would have brought us into Biarritz about 11. Unfortunately it was changed so that we didn't arrive into Biarritz till 2. We opted to take taxi to Bayonne (€30) but could have got bus but still missed 3pm train to St Jean Pied de Port. Had lovely afternoon in Bayonne - food and walk around and then got 6 pm train to St Jean.
Buen Camino.

Beardysteve1 said:
Hi all,

I'm from Northern Ireland and am just wondering what is the easiest way to get the St. Jean Pied-du-pont? Any Irish on the forum let me know how they did the first leg of their trip? Thanks

Hi Beardysteve,

One route is to fly either EasyJet ( >> http://www.easyjet.com/en) or RyanAir ( >> http://www.ryanair.com/en) from Belfast (Aldergrove) airport, to Biarritz , then bus to Bayonne rr station (Gare SNCF) and take a local TER line 62 train to SJPdP. (>> http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/aquitaine/Fr/) There are several line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP each day.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Beardysteve1, Often it's cheaper for Irish residents flying direct to depart via Dublin as opposed to Belfast. Depending on your plans, time etc you might also consider SJPP not your starting point. Perhaps it's easier and possibly cheaper to fly to a different destination and walk from there to Santiago. This maybe further back along route. Check out airports in destination area and see which airlines serve them. Bilbao & Santander are further along route. You could walk forward on Norte or backwards towards France. It depends on your intention and timeframe.
Buen Camino.

Edit: Get bus from Santander to connect to Frances.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back