• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to St Jean Pied de Port from Amsterdam

Kathryn_H

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2020
Hi all
I'm coming from Amsterdam to SJPDP to start the Camino in May 2020. Yay I can say I am doing it this year now! Anyway, I've allowed 2 days to get there, so I have the option to overnight somewhere if needed. I was originally going to train to Paris, overnight there and then train it from Paris. But maybe this isn't he best option? I've looked at flying from Amsterdam to Bordeaux and then taking the train from there. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I realise you can do a train the whole way from Amsterdam to Paris, swap stations and then into Bayonne/Biarritz, but I don't fancy sitting on a train for 12 hours if there are other ways! Thanks for any suggestions

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, Kathryn, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

One suggestion:
Fly to Paris. . . Take a short flight from Paris to Biarritz. . . Have Express Bouricott Shuttle van meet you at the Biarritz airport and take a nice, relaxing, and pretty 40 minute drive to SJPdP.

You sound as though you have a good idea of the planning that you wish to do and how to get started.
The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Another option is that you can fly into Biarritz - Bayonne Airport (BIQ). This airport handles both international and domestic flights.

Another airport is San Sebastián Airport (EAS), which is 37 km from Bayonne, France if my research is correct.

Hope this helps.

YMMV
Robert

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take train or bus or fly Amsterdam to Brussels. Take flight Brussels to Biarritz. Local Chronoplus bus from BIQ airport to Bayonne. SNCF train Bayonne to SJPdP.

Rome 2 Rio says there are several options for flights connecting Amsterdam to Biarritz with at least one stop enroute.

It also works Amsterdam to Bilbao. PESA bus from Bilbao Loiu airport to San Sebastian. Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun. Metro Donostialdea from Irun to Hendaye. SNCF train Hendaye to Bayonne. SNCF train Bayonne to SJPdP.

Last edited:
I've looked at flying from Amsterdam to Bordeaux and then taking the train from there. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I realise you can do a train the whole way from Amsterdam to Paris, swap stations and then into Bayonne/Biarritz, but I don't fancy sitting on a train for 12 hours if there are other ways!
A flight from Amsterdam to Bordeaux and then the train from there to SJPP does indeed look like the best option as far as travelling time, waiting times, and hassle with changing means of transport are concerned as it doesn’t look like there are direct flights from Amsterdam to Biarritz in May which would be ideal.

Every other combination of planes, trains and buses makes me already tired of just thinking of it for such a relatively short distance. If you do fly via Brussels or Paris, pay attention to the arrival and departure airports: Brussels airport and Brussels Charleroi (Ryanair who fly to Biarritz like to call it Brussels South which is, frankly, a joke) are a train trip plus a bus trip apart, and it also takes a while to get from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Paris Orly or the other way round.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now its a matter of working out the right price. 420 euros (for 2) seems a bit steep to fly directly from Amsterdam-Paris-Biarritz! Might have to rethink the train options

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now its a matter of working out the right price. 420 euros (for 2) seems a bit steep to fly directly from Amsterdam-Paris-Biarritz! Might have to rethink the train options
Only 420 euros for two? You don't want to know how much it costs to get there from a small city in the west coast of the US...😂

Only 420 euros for two? You don't want to know how much it costs to get there from a small city in the west coast of the US...😂

Haha, good point! But I've already paid to fly from Australia to begin with! The entire trip is adding up!

You could try Amsterdam to Bilbao Spain.

PESA bus from Bilbao Loiu Airport to San Sebastian. Bus station co-located with Renfe. Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun. Walk from Renfe station across the bridge to Irun Colon Metro. Donostialdea Metro from Colon to Gare d'Hendaye.
SNCF train Hendaye to Bayonne. SNCF train Bayonne to SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I realise you can do a train the whole way from Amsterdam to Paris, swap stations and then into Bayonne/Biarritz, but I don't fancy sitting on a train for 12 hours if there are other ways!

Might have to rethink the train options

Why not take a train to Bordeaux on day 1, and then take a train to St Jean on day 2. Have done this myself. Bordeaux is a pretty city so it is no punishment at all to spend a night there.

Last edited:
Hello, Kathryn, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

One suggestion:
Fly to Paris. . . Take a short flight from Paris to Biarritz. . . Have Express Bouricott Shuttle van meet you at the Biarritz airport and take a nice, relaxing, and pretty 40 minute drive to SJPdP.

You sound as though you have a good idea of the planning that you wish to do and how to get started.
The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
Hi Kathryn,

What did you finally decide on ? We are also travelling from Australia (Melb) for a May 2020 trip.

Thanks

Hi Kathryn,

What did you finally decide on ? We are also travelling from Australia (Melb) for a May 2020 trip.

Thanks

Hi Phil

Still haven't decided yet! Get a headache every time I go to look at options. What are you thinking about doing?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kathryn, we are going with Etihad. Melbourne to Paris (1 stop). London (Stanstead) to Melbourne (1 stop). We will book another flight from Santiago to London when we finish the Camino. We have family in London that we will visit, hence the departure from London. The Santiago flights to London are quite cheap. The Etihad flights are around $1200 each for the return trip (Economy). We are planning on leaving Melbourne on the 2nd/3rd May. I’ll be booking the flights in the next day or so.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back