• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting to St Jean Pied de Port from Biaritz

Bruce58

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hi, I was wondering, other than taking a the train from Biaritz to Bayonne and then to St Jean Pied de Port, has any one taken, or know of a shuttle that drives to SJPDP? and if so do you have the contact number, or website, and the approximate price.

Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Use the search function in top right corner, for Express Bourricot ... there will be lots of links to their site.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trecile (as ever) is spot on with the Express Bourricot recommendation, but if you want a cheaper, and probably equally fast solution, there's local buses every 15 minutes or so from the heart of Biarritz to the train station in Bayonne, from where you get the train to SJPDP. Note that it's just as easy to get from the heart of Biarritz to the Bayonne train station, as it is to go from the heart of Biarritz to the Biarritz train station, which is several kilometers south of town.

Hi, I was wondering, other than taking a the train from Biaritz to Bayonne and then to St Jean Pied de Port, has any one taken, or know of a shuttle that drives to SJPDP? and if so do you have the contact number, or website, and the approximate price.

Thanks

Bruce.
This is a frequently asked question on forum. Use the simple local bus from outside airport to bayonne train station( lá gare) then on to sjpp no need to use other more expensive options.

This is a portion of a post from Biarritzdon.

"The 14 and C are local buses and run regular schedules every 15 mins or so between the airport and bayonne train station. The cost in one euro and correct change is greatly appreciated"
You then get the train at bayonne le gare 1 hour to sjpp check train schedule (easy peasy) Don't waste your money. You do not have to go into Biarritz town unless your are staying the night, beautiful town though. Their is normally fellow pilgrims at airport so have a chat with them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I truly recommend the train.
It is cheap, it is secure, it is convenient.
And you can befriend your fellow pilgrims on the way to your startingpoint.
Sundays only 2 trains travel from Bayonne to SJPdP. One in the morning, anotherone on the late afternoon. Be aware of this, check the schedule.

The shuttle Express Bourricot you must book in advance, especially in high-season. They shuttle from Biarritz Airport or Bayonne.

I'm sure that bus/train is easy enough, especially for those who have already done it. But consider someone who has just arrived for the first time in Europe on a transatlantic flight, who doesn't want to be faced with the French bus and train systems. The peace of mind that they have, knowing that Express Bouricott will pick them up is worth the extra cost.

I'm sure that bus/train is easy enough, especially for those who have already done it. But consider someone who has just arrived for the first time in Europe on a transatlantic flight, who doesn't want to be faced with the French bus and train systems. The peace of mind that they have, knowing that Express Bouricott will pick them up is worth the extra cost.

I agree with Trecile again. However, it is unclear from the question whether the OP is travelliing to SJPDP from Biarritz Airport or Biarritz central.

If Biarritz Airport, it is certainly simpler (and only a few euros more) to be picked up right away by Express Bourricot and transported directly to SJPDP rather than get on a bus to Bayonne and wait for the train there.

However, if he is already in Biarritz, it's probably simpler just to get the local bus to the train station in Bayonne, and then take the train, since he's going to have to get to the train station anyway to pick up the Express Bourricot, which will then take longer to get to SJPDP than the train will.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

All you need to do is research before you go and write down (or print) the salient points. That includes bus and train schedules, bus maps, pictures showing landmarks such as train station exterior (gare Bayonne is very distinctive), and station diagrams. If you're not comfortable with the information you have then either go through it again or find more. Then when you get there follow the instructions.

The other suggestion is to leave lots of time between connections so you have time to get oriented and perhaps have enough time even if you miss the first available bus.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back