• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to the Alpinista route from Irún

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ok, so Nuala has reported on findpilgrims that she has once again missed the turnoff for the Alpinista route after leaving Irún. I think this means that we need some clearer instructions for people who want to take that alternative (most highly recommended). I must have been lucky because I am the queen of getting lost and never had a problem. I did talk to others in San Sebastián who, like Nuala, found themselves unintentionally on the lower path and were kicking themselves. So for others that are coming behind, some clearer instructions might be useful.

And, btw, the label of "alpinista" route is highly misleading. This is not an alpine route by any means. It has a little scramble up at the beginning, but is totally walkable by any pilgrim who is in good enough shape to walk from Irún to Santiago.

All I remember is that I found the path slightly after passing a sanctuary. Anyone else have more precise instructions?

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie. When you arrives to Monasterio de Guadalupe, lets say 5 km after Irun, you need to follow the path near the " Casa Forestal de Jaizkibel" Later, before passing the stairs the trail turn divided in two. You need to choose the rigth track to take the "Alpinist Route", its only 540 mtrs high on the top.

Last edited:
Hi Laurie, I suspect that this might not be a common problem. When we chatted with others about it today, they simply following the red and white GR markers, or the very clear instructions in the Northern Caminos guide :) We foolishly took advice from a Spanish hiker, even though I strongly suspected that it wasn't right.

We had fun creating our own trail between the lower and higher options. Not something I'd recommend, but definitely one of our most memorable Camino adventures! And the views from the Alpinista are magnificent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie, I suspect that this might not be a common problem. When we chatted with others about it today, they simply following the red and white GR markers, or the very clear instructions in the Northern Caminos guide :) We foolishly took advice from a Spanish hiker, even though I strongly suspected that it wasn't right.

We had fun creating our own trail between the lower and higher options. Not something I'd recommend, but definitely one of our most memorable Camino adventures! And the views from the Alpinista are magnificent.

Well, Nuala, you do have a great story with the bushwhacking! I am totally enjoying your find penguins. So much fun to follow your walk. And I loved seeing the picture of your new piece of gear -- the electric coil!!!

Ok, so Nuala has reported on findpilgrims that she has once again missed the turnoff for the Alpinista route after leaving Irún. I think this means that we need some clearer instructions for people who want to take that alternative (most highly recommended). I must have been lucky because I am the queen of getting lost and never had a problem. I did talk to others in San Sebastián who, like Nuala, found themselves unintentionally on the lower path and were kicking themselves. So for others that are coming behind, some clearer instructions might be useful.

And, btw, the label of "alpinista" route is highly misleading. This is not an alpine route by any means. It has a little scramble up at the beginning, but is totally walkable by any pilgrim who is in good enough shape to walk from Irún to Santiago.

All I remember is that I found the path slightly after passing a sanctuary. Anyone else have more precise instructions?

Buen camino, Laurie
I also missed it,Laurie. There was a mass on in Basque when I arrived. There was a couple of hundred people outside the church. A man told me it will be the Saints day in about a week's time. When I left I can remember coming to a steep path on the right. On the left there were two tracks in to a Wood. I went into the Wood. It wasn't until I'd nearly finished that I realized I had done the wrong track. I put it down to being distracted by the mass,cheers Mick.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie am on The Norte as I write , just follow the GR121 with the yellow arrows very easy. We did it two days ago and for a great place to stay come down from Fero cross on the ferry at Pasia turn right onleaviing ferry up the stairs where the path forks follow the Camino arrow to yr left on to the road go about 800m to “Doce Tribus” this place amazing 20 beds all facilities x wifi if you go past you have missed one the most beautiful experiences. Terry aka Tex

Attachments

• 9E6928B9-685D-433E-8A25-285B8F46ACD9.jpeg
    9E6928B9-685D-433E-8A25-285B8F46ACD9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • 83D139D6-62F5-46D2-9DC8-46D2818ECB49.jpeg
    83D139D6-62F5-46D2-9DC8-46D2818ECB49.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
Hi Laurie am on The Norte as I write , just follow the GR121 with the yellow arrows very easy. We did it two days ago and for a great place to stay come down from Fero cross on the ferry at Pasia turn right onleaviing ferry up the stairs where the path forks follow the Camino arrow to yr left on to the road go about 800m to “Doce Tribus” this place amazing 20 beds all facilities x wifi if you go past you have missed one the most beautiful experiences. Terry aka Tex
Actually, I have heard amazing things about this place too, pity it does not appear as an option for accommodation in any guide.

Lucky you Terry, hope you are enjoying the Norte!

I stopped at that place for a cup of tea and a 'boots off' break in May. It was very peaceful and welcoming, but a little too evangelical for my liking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To take the alpista route, I remember, just past and behind the sanctuary of Guadalupe, near the coffee/tourist shop - turning left and going straight up the hill. It was a scramble. There was an arrow made out of wood, not very easy to spot.

Hi Laurie. When you arrives to Monasterio de Guadalupe, lets say 5 km after Irun, you need to follow the path near the " Casa Forestal de Jaizkibel" Later, before passing the stairs the trail turn divided in two. You need to choose the rigth track to take the "Alpinist Route", its only 540 mtrs high on the top.

To take the alpista route, I remember, just past and behind the sanctuary of Guadalupe, near the coffee/tourist shop - turning left and going straight up the hill. It was a scramble. There was an arrow made out of wood, not very easy to spot.

I never said anything to Pingüirino, because I thought I must have my memory wrong. He said choose the path to the right. But my memory was that I did the same thing Kanga remembers, turning left and going straight up the hill after the sanctuary.

But after doing a bit more googling and looking at tracks, this is what I think. At the sanctuary, the Camino takes a left (easterly) turn. Soon thereafter, there must be another split. Taking the left takes you around the back of the hill, while taking the alternative to the right gets you to the higher route. And just like Kanga, I remember that at that point there is a sharp ascent. Of course, this might all be wrong, but that is one explanation of why Kanga and I remember a left hand turn.

I have since heard from two more people who missed the higher route, so if anyone had clear pictures to post, that would be helpful.

I never said anything to Pingüirino, because I thought I must have my memory wrong. He said choose the path to the right. But my memory was that I did the same thing Kanga remembers, turning left and going straight up the hill after the sanctuary.
But after doing a bit more googling and looking at tracks, this is what I think. At the sanctuary, the Camino takes a left (easterly) turn. Soon thereafter, there must be another split. Taking the left takes you around the back of the hill, while taking the alternative to the right gets you to the higher route. And just like Kanga, I remember that at that point there is a sharp ascent. Of course, this might all be wrong, but that is one explanation of why Kanga and I remember a left hand turn.
I have since heard from two more people who missed the higher route, so if anyone had clear pictures to post, that would be helpful.

That makes sense to me, Laurie. But having missed this turn twice already, I can't really be considered a reliable source!

I remember that right turn up a narrower path - that was the moment when the Spanish hiker told us quite emphatically not to follow him up there, but to continue straight on. Hindsight is a great thing, but had I checked the map on my Buen Camino app, we could easily have avoided that silly mistake. However, we have great memories of our subsequent scramble up the hill with our new Canadian friend - and our scratched legs were a regular topic of conversation in the following days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've just spent some fun time trying to pinpoint exactly that photo! Peering closely at the satellite images.

In the Wise Pilgrim Guide it refers to the Purgatory route vs the official Camino southern route after The Guadalupe Santuario. Is the “ridge/alpine/purgatory” route marking before or at the Guadalupe sanctuary? Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just after the Sanctuaria.
Had to laugh at the sign purgatory as the first short climb was that. Once you get up there the view is marvellous.

Actually, I have heard amazing things about this place too, pity it does not appear as an option for accommodation in any guide.
It is described in the German outdoor guidebook by Raimond Joos

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.