• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to the Camino (Sahagun) from Dublin

pat84

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 2017 2019
Hi my wife and I are going to try to finish CF this September , we finished up in Sagahun in 2019 I was wondering what is the best way to get back there this year , We will be flying out of Dublin , any ideas on the best option ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know where you can fly from Dublin airport but I do know Sahagun has a train station serviced from Leon, Burgos, Pamplona, Madrid and Barcelona.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rome2rio shows Madrid as quickest and cheapest, then train to Leon.
aerlingus would be my own preference, as it seems less likely to be on strike. They also fly to Santiago direct, and rome2rio will show onward links from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My instinct would be fly into Madrid and train or bus to Sahagun. I certainly did DUB to Madrid and train to Leon on past caminos. Flying into SdeC would be nice but I think there is one train a day which limits options, whereas from Madrid there are several different options (which in these days of flught chaos might be useful in case of delays etc).

Morning,
I finished in Sahagún last year and flew home to Dublin from Santander. I took a connection train from Sahagún to Palencia, staying there overnight purely because i wanted to visit the city. Then took a faster train from there straight to Santander (2-3 hours?)
IIRC the Santander / Palencia train goes thru (and stops?) at Fromista so you could just hop out there.

To the best of my knowledge To a at fly to Santander. The other options for me at the time were Madrid or Bilbao. I don't think there was (ever) any flights from Dublin to Leon.

Hope this helps

Siobhán

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, you can fly to Santander and either bus or train to Palencia then train it to Sahagún, i did that in 2019 but took the Alsa bus to Palencia, it also lets you see more of the countryside, if you have the time of course, good luck 🍀

A few options above. Could also fly Dublin Madrid, transfer to train station, train to Sahagun.

Alternatively FLY dublin Madrid, ALSA Bus from airport bus station T4 to Leon, and back to Sahagun. I have not done the Leon Sahagun leg of this itinerary.

I did the reverse 2 weeks ago when I finished the Camino de Madrid in Sahagun.... One train from Sahagun to Palencia... then another train from Palencia to Santander... Ryanair from Santander to Dublin. All quick and easy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi my wife and I are going to try to finish CF this September , we finished up in Sagahun in 2019 I was wondering what is the best way to get back there this year , We will be flying out of Dublin , any ideas on the best option ?
Hi. I'll be doing San Salvador next month from Leon and fly direct to Madrid. You can get a bus direct from Madrid Airport to Leon or get metro and then a train also. Daniel

We started in Sahagun this year as well. We flew to Madrid (from the US) and then went to Chamartin train station and then took a train to Sahagun. You have to change trains in Palencia. Unfortunately, the train was a couple of hours late leaving Chamartin and we missed our connection in Palencia. We ended up spending the night in Palencia and then taking train to Sahagun the next day. Even though it was stressful missing the connection, especially while jetlagged, we quite enjoyed our overnight in Palencia.

PS. Even though I'm pretty good with Spanish, when I was inquiring about tickets I mistakenly pronounced it "sa-Ha-gun" and the ticket agent didn't understand me. I forgot that the "H" is silent. It's "sa-a-gun".

Rome2rio shows Madrid as quickest and cheapest, then train to Leon.
aerlingus would be my own preference, as it seems less likely to be on strike. They also fly to Santiago direct, and rome2rio will show onward links from there.
Aerlingus have been cancelling loads of flights due to staff sickness, as well as French strikes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why not fly to Leon, then take the train? Apparently both Ryanair and Aer Lingus have flights.
I am not aware of direct flights from Dublin to Leon, Spain?
From Dublin I usually fly to Madrid and train to Leon.
Return on direct from SCQ to Dublin. Though not daily there are a few direct flights weekly, depending on the time of year.

Ryanair to Santander or Madrid, train to Sahagun, definitely the cheapest and no bother. Pilgrim hostel in Santander close to the station if required. If over 60, get the tarjeta dorada for 40% off. Bookable on the Renfe app. May I recommend the Santa Cruz albergue in Sahagun? Great place, Irish priest, but don't let that deter you. Buen Camino 😎

I am not aware of direct flights from Dublin to Leon, Spain?
From Dublin I usually fly to Madrid and train to Leon.
Return on direct from SCQ to Dublin. Though not daily there are a few direct flights weekly, depending on the time of year.
The flights to Leon are not direct-- I imagine that there's insufficient market. There are direct flights from Dublin to Santander, and from there by bus or train to Leon.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aerlingus have been cancelling loads of flights due to staff sickness, as well as French strikes.
From my morning paper, to support your comment:

Airlines cancelled 60 Dublin flights in past week due to Covid and labour issues​

Aer Lingus axes some Dublin-Heathrow services today due to UK labour shortage

BARRY O’HALLORAN
Thousands of travellers in and out of the Republic were hit over the last week as airlines cancelled around 60 Dublin flights in the face of bottlenecks, strikes and Covid.
The latest to suffer are passengers on Aer Lingus’s 7.30am Dublin-Heathrow flight today, and the return leg at 9.50am. The airline confirmed late yesterday that these would be cancelled following a request from the London airport, one of several European hubs hit by labour shortages.
A Covid outbreak among staff has also forced the Irish airline to cancel its Berlin and Hamburg services today.
Those cancellations bring to more than 60 the number of Dublin flights axed by European and North American airlines since June 22nd.
The airlines involved include industry giants such as American Airlines, British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa and its low-cost subsidiary Eurowings, as well as United Airlines.
Estimates of the numbers of customers hit vary as no airline contacted said how many passengers were due on the flights in question. Sources suggest anything from 9,000 to 12,000.
Other carriers included Canada’s West Jet, Transavia France and British carrier Eastern Airways. Aer Lingus accounted for about 30 cancellations, mainly due to a Covid outbreak among staff.
This caused it to drop six return services from Dublin – 12 flights in all – yesterday. Destinations included Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Lyon, Geneva and Munich.
Aer Lingus said it had cancelled about 1 per cent of June flights as a result of the problem. The carrier stressed that it was doing everything possible to accommodate passengers whose flights had been cancelled.
German group Lufthansa also axed its Frankfurt service yesterday, while Canadian airline WestJet cancelled its Dublin-Toronto Pearson service.
Ryanair cancelled two flights last Friday – to Milan and Brussels. The airline confirmed over the weekend that it had lost some services to a French air traffic controller strike, a problem the group regularly highlights as an issue for aviation.
Eurowings also blamed the strike for the loss of flights from Cologne and Düsseldorf to Dublin. In addition the German carrier highlighted problems with Düsseldorf Airport’s baggage system, ground handling and security checks holding up aviation staff recruitment.
A technical issue forced British Airways to cancel a London City service last Thursday, while it had to drop a Heathrow flight two days later.
US carrier United Airlines axed flights to Newark, New Jersey, last Thursday June and on Monday June. It blamed a technical problem with the aircraft for Thursday’s decision and an “unexpected operational issue” for its problems on Monday.
The airline said that it accommodated affected passengers on alternative flights operated by itself or other carriers. Where appropriate, it provided hotel rooms and meal vouchers.
All the airlines that responded to requests for comments blamed internal issues, problems at airports in their home countries, strikes or Covid for the cancellations.

I went from Dublin midday to marvellous Billbao with aer lingus. Guggenheim gallery etc is there.. A morning train goes from there to Sahagun by lunchtime. I walked on from there to Finistere. I found it was the most economical way to go on the second half of my Camino in 2015. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back