• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting to the camino

bev

I'm having some trouble getting from london to St. Jean or Roncesvalles in one day. I fly all night from nyc, arriving heathrow at 6 am but the next flight from standsted on ryanair isn't till 2:00pm arriving biarritz at 5:00. the train schedule for july 8th isn't out yet so afraid I won't make it till late. i've tried other airlines, any ideas? thanks for your help, bev

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Bev

It is true that the SNCF schedule is not out for July but I would bet a pair of hiking boots that the last train to St JPdeP will be at 18:10 as it has been for years...

Take a taxi from the airport (cost around 12 euros) and it takes 15 to 20 minutes. If everything fails spend the night in Bayonne, it is charming, and get on the first train around 8:00. You could start your walk right there, spend some time in the town and stop over at Unto or Orisson on the way to Roncesvalles.

There are plenty of choices and the countryside is so beautiful; I know I was there in September 2005.

thank you ulysse; if I wanted to begin walking at roncesvalles, what kind of transportation is available? can I get my credenciales there?
bev

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You should get your credential (if you don't already have it) at St JPdeP at the pilgrims'office (well indicated) when arriving on foot from the train station.

To get to Roncesvales you can take a taxi or the "Express bouricot", a transport organised for pilgrims (cheaper than taxi). You get get more details in the posts in this section of the forum on this service. I am not sure if there is a bus service to Roncesvales (Roncevaux in French).

Hi Bev & Ulysee,

The lady who runs Express Burricot is Caroline

Tel: 06-61-96-04-76
Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

Here is her info:

Hello, I can take people from St Jean to Roncesvalles. I do it every day, generally in the morning. The price depends on how many people I pick up. So it is 9 euros per person if I have at least 3 people. But if you are alone, it is 27 euros, if you are 2, it is 13.5 euros for each one and if you are 3 or more, it will be 9 for each one. And I try to make group with different people who call me. I hope you understand, because my English is not so marvellous!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back