• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to the Geira from the “normal” Central Caminho

peregrina2000

Staff member
In his video today, Álvaro Lazaga said he was going to walk from Porto to Braga, and from there walk the Geira. He describes the route as going to Vila Nova de Famalicao and then the next day to Braga. In Vila Nova he was able to sleep in the Bombeiros, though it looks like there are plenty of private places to stay there too. It was a long day, 40 km, but looked flat if that helps.

His surprise was how well marked it was. Signs say “Caminho Central (por Braga).” I think the 40 km first day is likely to prevent a huge crowd from switching over to the Geira in Porto, but maybe some enterprising pilgrims can find a way to split that up.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is interesting. If there enough people interested in this route I would be willing to do the leg work to roll it into the existing app.

The Geira app, walked by @jungleboy and Wendy last summer is about ready to go (it was delayed while I made the whatsapp helper) so this would make for a sensible pairing. Even if the Geira is too daunting, there exists the option to rejoin the Central route in Ponte de Lima directly from Braga.

Remember as well that the Via Mariana sets off from Braga too. It is a dizzying path that is anything but the shortest distance to Santiago… but it was not meant to be. It rejoins the Camino Portugués in Padrón before going to Santiago and then back out of Santiago following the camino to the coast for a few hours. It strikes its own path when it gets to Ponte Maceira and doesn’t coincide with another trail until Muxía. It is not a pilgrimage to a singular destination but rather a string of them, like walking a rosary.

In his video today, Álvaro Lazaga said he was going to walk from Porto to Braga, and from there walk the Geira. He describes the route as going to Vila Nova de Famalicao and then the next day to Braga. In Vila Nova he was able to sleep in the Bombeiros, though it looks like there are plenty of private places to stay there too. It was a long day, 40 km, but looked flat if that helps.

His surprise was how well marked it was. Signs say “Caminho Central (por Braga).” I think the 40 km first day is likely to prevent a huge crowd from switching over to the Geira in Porto, but maybe some enterprising pilgrims can find a way to split that up.

The Central Way through Braga was the original way to Santiago, which was maintained until the construction of the Barcelos bridge.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is interesting. If there enough people interested in this route I would be willing to do the leg work to roll it into the existing app.

The Geira app, walked by @jungleboy and Wendy last summer is about ready to go (it was delayed while I made the whatsapp helper) so this would make for a sensible pairing. Even if the Geira is too daunting, there exists the option to rejoin the Central route in Ponte de Lima directly from Braga.

Remember as well that the Via Mariana sets off from Braga too. It is a dizzying path that is anything but the shortest distance to Santiago… but it was not meant to be. It rejoins the Camino Portugués in Padrón before going to Santiago and then back out of Santiago following the camino to the coast for a few hours. It strikes its own path when it gets to Ponte Maceira and doesn’t coincide with another trail until Muxía. It is not a pilgrimage to a singular destination but rather a string of them, like walking a rosary.
I with a group of three Brazilian friends (one of them over 80 years old) are going to start the caminho to Geira and Arreeiros, on the 29th of August in Braga. It will be a way to taste it and do it very slowly. Unfortunately there is only one albergue in Caldelas and Braga.

The Central Way through Braga was the original way to Santiago, which was maintained until the construction of the Barcelos bridge.

Thanks, Aurelio. I see on a map that the route from Braga continues back to the “regular” central route in Ponte de Lima. Do you know if this part is marked as well as the part Álvaro walked from Porto to Braga?

And one more thing — do you know if there is a way to break up the stage from Porto to Famalicao so that it’s not a 40 km day?

Looking forward to hearing all about your Geira!

Thanks, Aurelio. I see on a map that the route from Braga continues back to the “regular” central route in Ponte de Lima. Do you know if this part is marked as well as the part Álvaro walked from Porto to Braga?

And one more thing — do you know if there is a way to break up the stage from Porto to Famalicao so that it’s not a 40 km day?

Looking forward to hearing all about your Geira!
Hi Laurie
I found several articles about the Central Way by Braga.

See Luis do Freixo:

http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/LINKS.CAMINO-DE-BRAGA.pdf
and:
http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/porto-braga-pontedelima.pdf

http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/porto-braga-pontedelima.pdf (as you can see it is possible to break the first stage at Covelas (with hostal).

There is a albergue in Goães, located halfway between Braga and Ponte de Lima, but me, Maggie and Paul, we didn't stop at this albergue, we walked to Ponte de Lima.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back