• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting to Vezelay from Paris

susier

We're hoping to start walking at the end of March. I'm keen to find our way to Vezelay by rail or bus. We're coming from northern UK. Does anyone have suggestions? Clamecy seems to be the nearest station but apparently only has extremely expensive high speed trains....any ideas?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hallo, you can get to the station of Sermizelles 10 km away from Vezelay taking a normal train from Paris station Gare de Bercy. There you can walk on low traffic road or call a taxi from Vezelay
Giorgio. Let me know if you need other infos..

Attachments

• vez007_th.jpg
    vez007_th.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 5,120
Gare de Lyon and Gare de Bercy seem to be a very short distance apart. To which one should I go for the train toward Vezelay?

And what is the best way to get from Orly airport to the train station?

Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Falcon,

You can't reach Vezelay by train: that's simple.
From Paris Bercy there's a train to Avallon and the town to catch the train to is Sermizelles.
Train goes further to Avallon and NOT to Vezelay.
From Paris you have to take the train to Auxerre and from there you take the "little" train to Sermizelles. (I thought early in the morning and in the evening there's a direct train and you don't have to change train in Auxerre)
In Sermizelles you can cross the river "la Cure" and than you are very close to the path/GR654 to Asquins and further to Vezelay. It's about a 10 km walk.
Enjoy it!
And IMO........... take the LePuy-route from Vezelay. It's GREAT there!

We are planning to taxi the last km to Vezelay, but still are curious how to go from Orly airport to the train station. It looks like there is a train station at the airport. Does that route go to the Bercy station we want? Thanks.

There is a little one way train that runs continually from one terminal to another at Orly and so you catch that to the station and then from there get to where you wish to go. Cheers, Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But how about a train from the airport to the Bercy station in Paris?

I caught the train into Gare d L'est and from there caught the train down to Troyes where I began the Vezelay Chemin. Thus, can't help with getting to Semizelles. Prior to deciding to go to Troyes though, I had thought I would walk from Semizelles to Vezelay. Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can take the bus from the Orly airport (the OrlyBus) to its terminus and then take the Metro to Bercy station. I have done this before and it's quite simple with one slight thing to keep in mind - the entrance to both a French suburban train line (a "RER" line) is accessed, as I recall, by the same stairs used for the Metro. So as you descend the stairs just ask for directions to the Metro.

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/...mmun/rejoindre-quitter-paris-orly-orlybus.htm

Susier Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem-
Lets leave practicalities aside and talk of inspiration for a minute. I know, one is focused on Vezelay and far far away Santiago de Compostela almost 2000k to the West! So there is no reason to rush through Vezelay in order to arrive sooner in Santiago. Likewise, there is no reason to pass through Auxerre only in order to change for a bus or a train bringing one more quickly to Vezelay. The Cathedral of Saint-Etienne in Auxerre is a splendid example of Burgundian Gothic and should not for any reason be missed for its wonderful architecture and the amazing stained glass windows! True, I love the Romanesque even more and the example found in Vezelay is splendid however you should not even consider passing up a visit to this wonderful church ibn Aucxerre. Coming from the UK you can probably arrive in Vezelay on a later train/bus-Google Auxerre cathedral images for a first impression! Remember, Burgundian Gothic may be found only but only in Burgundy and thats where you start! Bon Marche-Buen Camino
S.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... and if the idea is to slow down: Why not taking a bit more time to visit Auxerre (a very charming town and worth to bee seen), having a glass of lovely Auxerre, Chablis or Irancy in a nice restaurant at night, sleep at "maison des randonneurs" at a reasonable price and simply walk the 2 stages to VĂ©zelay?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back