• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Villaviciosa

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Hello forum members,
I am thinking about walking the Camino Covadonga in July before meeting family who have rented a house in Asturias.
I have previously walked the Norte from Irun and the Primitivo from Oviedo so it would be a good way to walk for a few days before the holiday.
I would appreciate any tips on walking to Covadonga and especially any information on the best way to get to Villaviciosa where I hope to start, travelling from Australia
Also I have not walked in summer before so is it likely to be very hot in that region and also very busy with tourists ?
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi "girl",

The best way to get to Villaviciosa (about 27 km. east of Gijón):
- fly from Australia to Madrid
- fly from Madrid to Aeropuerto de Asturias (about 40 km. west of Gijón).
- take the bus from the airport to Villaviciosa (€ 12,05 one way).

Attachments

• 1561547552496.png
    1561547552496.png
    412.8 KB · Views: 3
On Wikiloc you can find and download GPS-tracks of the Camino Covadonga for free:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi "girl",

The best way to get to Villaviciosa (about 27 km. east of Gijón):
- fly from Australia to Madrid
- fly from Madrid to Aeropuerto de Asturias (about 40 km. west of Gijón).
- take the bus from the airport to Villaviciosa (€ 12,05 one way).

View attachment 59895

Thanks.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to get there but I will look at flights to Asturias airport. Last flight was Perth - Madrid - San Sebastián so would be similar but with a bus trip too. I would just walk from Madrid if I had the time but that’s a Camino for next year.

Last year I finished a week on the Del Norte in Villaviciosa, then I took a bus from Villaviciosa to Oviedo and a bus from Oviedo to Santander where I was departing Spain from.

We walked from Arriondas to Covadonga. Well marked once you find the way out of town -across the park and past the football pitch. Also called Camino de la Reina when looking for guides.
We travelled from Llanes to Arriondas but it can be reached by ALSA or FEVE from Oviedo and might be easier than getting to Villaviciosa.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked from Arriondas to Covadonga. Well marked once you find the way out of town -across the park and past the football pitch. Also called Camino de la Reina when looking for guides.
We travelled from Llanes to Arriondas but it can be reached by ALSA or FEVE from Oviedo and might be easier than getting to Villaviciosa.
Thank you. I have read your descriptive blog of the walk . Our daughter and her husband and two young sons ( now living in the UK ) have rented a house in Romillo and when I saw it was on a Camino path the walking addiction started me researching options to get there ... it is less than two months since finishing Camino del Norte but any excuse ?!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back