• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting together in Lisbon? Apr. 26-29

peregrina2000

Staff member
I go to Lisbon every year for a teaching trip (rough life, I know). I wonder if anyone will be in Lisbon between April 26 - 29. I leave on Saturday, April 30, and Monday April 25 is a holiday.

Last year I met about 10 forum members about to embark on their caminos, it was a lot of fun! So if you'll be there then, and would like to get together for a coffee/chat/wine/walk, let me know! Bom Caminho, Laurie

Thanks to Kanga for straightening me out on the dates, they are now correct!

Second edit: boy I am really losing it, it was Kiwi-family who straightened me out on the dates!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I go to Lisbon every year for a teaching trip (rough life, I know). I wonder if anyone will be in Lisbon between April 26 - 30. I leave on Saturday, May 1, and Monday April 25 is a holiday.

Last year I met about 10 forum members about to embark on their caminos, it was a lot of fun! So if you'll be there then, and would like to get together for a coffee/chat/wine/walk, let me know! Bom Caminho, Laurie
Laurie if I may ask, is this an 'English for Spaniards' type of teaching? I'm looking for something like this for 2017, but would prefer any suggestion from the forum vets.

If you have an opportunity to meet Laurie in Lisbon...DO IT!!!! She has a wealth of info on the route and especially Lisbon. We met her last year and did her 'walking tour' of Lisbon and it was great. And she's a wonderfully nice person to boot. Dayton and Karen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I go to Lisbon every year for a teaching trip (rough life, I know). I wonder if anyone will be in Lisbon between April 26 - 30. I leave on Saturday, May 1, and Monday April 25 is a holiday.

Rough life Laurie but somebody has to do it:p
Sorry we are not able to meet up again Laurie !
We leave home here in Holland on sunday 24th of April coming but with our car and caravan trailer it takes us about 7 or 8 days to get to Portugal.
But today I arranged a meeting with Aurélio in Lisbon as soon as we will arrive.
Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel

Rough life Laurie but somebody has to do it:p
Sorry we are not able to meet up again Laurie !
We leave home here in Holland on sunday 24th of April coming but with our car and caravan trailer it takes us about 7 or 8 days to get to Portugal.
But today I arranged a meeting with Aurélio in Lisbon as soon as we will arrive.
Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel
Make sure Aurelio takes you to his favorite pastel de nata place, it was the place I learned that pasteis de nata do NOT have to be hot to be delicious. I don't know if this is a big national debate like the debate in Spain over whether tortillas de patatas should have onions or not.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Laurie, I leave Lisbon on the 10th may so will just miss you, I am sorry for me! That would have been just a great start to my walk.
mal

Make sure Aurelio takes you to his favorite pastel de nata place, it was the place I learned that pasteis de nata do NOT have to be hot to be delicious. I don't know if this is a big national debate like the debate in Spain over whether tortillas de patatas should have onions or not.
For sure Laurie ! We will find out about " the"question that keeps us busy :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You made me panic momentarily Laurie.....May 1 is a Sunday, not a Saturday. It's also the day I leave NZ and I was suddenly worried that we had booked our tickets incorrectly!
Would love to meet you, but Seville is calling (thanks to your advice!)

You made me panic momentarily Laurie.....May 1 is a Sunday, not a Saturday. It's also the day I leave NZ and I was suddenly worried that we had booked our tickets incorrectly!
Would love to meet you, but Seville is calling (thanks to your advice!)

Thanks, Kiwi-family, of course you are right and I had a lapse. I will be leaving Lisbon on Sunday, May 1. I've corrected the dates.

Aurelio and Rita were kind enough to introduced @eli and me to a wonderful pasteleria - I have very fond memories of spending an afternoon in their delightful company. Wish I could be joining you in Lisbon, but will be walking the Camino del Norte.
Bom Caminho!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I go to Lisbon every year for a teaching trip (rough life, I know). I wonder if anyone will be in Lisbon between April 26 - 29. I leave on Saturday, April 30, and Monday April 25 is a holiday.

My friend John Taylor and I will be in Lisbon April 26/27 at Home Hostel. Hope we can get together.

Bom Caminho, Laurie. Sorry we will miss you since our expected departure date is September. Would have loved to experience the group you are assembling.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Second edit: boy I am really losing it, it was Kiwi-family who straightened me out on the dates!
Hi Laurie,
I will arrive April 27th, and depart Lisbon April 29th. Please add me to list, would love to catch up with you, and other pilgrims.

Janice

Unfortunately, I won't be in Lisbon, but I live in your backyard in Illinois and would love to meet you and chat Camino sometime!!

Lori

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please publish the "updated favorite pastel de nata"list after your stay in Lisbon Laurie.:) So we can test them as soon as we will arrive .
Last night we had a common "Brasilean" diner with all members of our Portuguese language class and the Portuguese professora said that the "Belèm " area should provide the best pasteís de nata.? :)
Unfortunately we can not be in Lisbon earlier than the first week of May. It is a long drive !
Bom caminho e abraço !
Albertinho e Nel.

Please publish the "updated favorite pastel de nata"list after your stay in Lisbon Laurie.:) So we can test them as soon as we will arrive .
Last night we had a common "Brasilean" diner with all members of our Portuguese language class and the Portuguese professora said that the "Belèm " area should provide the best pasteís de nata.? :)
Unfortunately we can not be in Lisbon earlier than the first week of May. It is a long drive !
Bom caminho e abraço !
Albertinho e Nel.

Albertinho, you have unwittingly fallen into the great "pastel de nata" debate. Like you, I was always under the impression that the best ones were the ones sold out at Belem, where the Jerónimos monastery is (surely a note to be missed place in Lisbon). They are sold hot there, with little packets of sugar and cinnamon. They are yummy. Aurelio and Diogo quickly pointed out that many people think that room temperature is the best way to eat them. A couple of years ago, Aurelio took us to a little local "hole in the wall" (note to non-native speakers -- this is not an insult, it's a term used to describe an unpretentious, not flashy place), which was filled to the rafters and gave me my first chance to taste the "room temperature" version. Absolutely heavenly. So, I am not prepared to vote which one is better, but I can tell you that you don't need to go all the way out to Belem to have a fabulous pastel de nata.

I will be back soon with a "time and place" suggestion for our get together, which will certainly include a stop for a pastel de nata. So far I have @Billy Buell and @MaidinBham. Aurelio, @amsimoes, is also available, with his lovely wife Rita. Looking forward to this so much. Bom caminho, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So, here is one possibility -- @amsimoes has suggested the 27th (which is a Wednesday). I can arrive in central Lisbon by 3:30 pm at a place we choose, with the main door of the cathedral (sitting on the steps) being the most obvious.

Will that work for the people who are going to be in Lisbon that week? I can also likely meet up on another day later in the week. Bom caminho, Laurie

Albertinho, you have unwittingly fallen into the great "pastel de nata" debate. Like you, I was always under the impression that the best ones were the ones sold out at Belem, where the Jerónimos monastery is (surely a note to be missed place in Lisbon). They are sold hot there, with little packets of sugar and cinnamon. They are yummy. Aurelio and Diogo quickly pointed out that many people think that room temperature is the best way to eat them. A couple of years ago, Aurelio took us to a little local "hole in the wall" (note to non-native speakers -- this is not an insult, it's a term used to describe an unpretentious, not flashy place), which was filled to the rafters and gave me my first chance to taste the "room temperature" version. Absolutely heavenly. So, I am not prepared to vote which one is better, but I can tell you that you don't need to go all the way out to Belem to have a fabulous pastel de nata.

I will be back soon with a "time and place" suggestion for our get together, which will certainly include a stop for a pastel de nata. So far I have @Billy Buell and @MaidinBham. Aurelio, @amsimoes, is also available, with his lovely wife Rita. Looking forward to this so much. Bom caminho, Laurie
I will be very honoured to hear from you where to go Laurie and again I am sorry we can not be in time in Lisbon to see you again.
We hope to visit the particulary pastel de nata place together with Aurélio and maybe with Diogo.
Awaiting your pasteís de nata news :)
Big hug from Nel and Albertinho

So, here is one possibility -- @amsimoes has suggested the 27th (which is a Wednesday). I can arrive in central Lisbon by 3:30 pm at a place we choose, with the main door of the cathedral (sitting on the steps) being the most obvious.

Will that work for the people who are going to be in Lisbon that week? I can also likely meet up on another day later in the week. Bom caminho, Laurie
I think this may work for me - I will land at airport at 1115, have to buy sim card, buy euro's, check in to Pensao Prata. I could also do any time on April 28th. Oh, and I will eat my pastel de nata at room temp. please. :)
Janice

Hi, Janice,
Well, I'm happy to go back downtown on the 28th as well, so let's just keep in touch via the forum. One great pastel de nata place is right across the street from your Pensao, AND the café apparently has a very nice stamp (carimbo in Portuguese, a word you will soon be very familiar with).

Hi, Janice,
Well, I'm happy to go back downtown on the 28th as well, so let's just keep in touch via the forum. One great pastel de nata place is right across the street from your Pensao, AND the café apparently has a very nice stamp (carimbo in Portuguese, a word you will soon be very familiar with).
Sounds like a plan! Is it okay if I collect carimbo's in Lisboa if my walk will start in Porto Muge (Morgado, Ponte de Muge) or Santarem? My itinerary is not completed, but I booked my flight without having a guide or basic plan - now I see some potential "hiccups" with my walk.
Thanks to you, and all other's, on this forum for help in planning El Camino.
Janice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Janice,

Hi
The stamp was I who gave the idea. A Portuguese pilgrim sardine.

The stamp is something like:

upload_2016-4-12_14-26-9.png

I think this may work for me - I will land at airport at 1115, have to buy sim card, buy euro's, check in to Pensao Prata. I could also do any time on April 28th. Oh, and I will eat my pastel de nata at room temp. please. :)
Janice

Hi
You have much time to be at 15h30m in Lisboa Cathedral, which is a 5-minute walk from Pensão Prata.
On the 28th I will work, but I can be with you a little while to get to know you and eat a custard tart in the Paço Real. I work 100 meters from Pensão Prata. Combines the hour with Laurie.

Sounds like a plan! Is it okay if I collect carimbo's in Lisboa if my walk will start in Porto Muge (Morgado, Ponte de Muge) or Santarem? My itinerary is not completed, but I booked my flight without having a guide or basic plan - now I see some potential "hiccups" with my walk.
Thanks to you, and all other's, on this forum for help in planning El Camino.
Janice
No problem to start with the carimbos in Lisbon.
You even can ask one at your local church at home.
As long as the carimbos of the last 100 kms are in to obtain your Compostela document.
Your credential is the most valuable document ,also later to look back where you have been.
Enjoy your pasteís de nata. We will come after you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aurelio and Rita met me in Lisbon outside Paco real near Pensao Pratt...the most wonderful kindness of a lunch a Pastel de Nata tour...a tram experience and time with Rita after. I was overcome by this unexpected kindness. I have a long story to tell of my Coastal/littoral route....just arrived Santiago today. I also did Spiritual Variante. Lots of advice for anyone who wants it. After days of rain I got sunshine for the amazing boat trip, thanks to Alberto from Villanova for his kindness. I was on my own a lot. Thanks Laurie...wish I could met up. Next year...I have to walk now Lisbon to Porto.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok looks like we're on!!

Wednesday April 27.

3:30 pm (15.30 for the Europeans).

I will be the woman with a head full of white hair on the cathedral steps.

Bon camino. Laurie.
What an wonderful opportunity you are offering. We arrive on the 29th. Any chance to meet you on the 30th?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peregrina2000 , unfortunately I will not make 1530 at Se Cathedral on Wednesday. Due to Airport strikers in Germany, I will not arrive in Lisbon until Thursday. I still plan to spend 2 days in Lisbon, so please dont eat all the egg custard tarts. :)
Janice

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK. Friday we eat a pastel de nata. I have 15 minutes to meet you in Paço Real. Send me a PM.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just to report in that @MaidinBham and I met up for a short visit in the beautiful city of Lisboa! It's always so good to meet forum members in person. Why didn't we take a picture?! Wishing you a Bom Caminho, Janice, hope it all goes well, Laurie
Many thanks Laurie for your help planning my first stage from Azambuja. All is well, although a am a bit of a slowpoke and it is way too warm - in the hi 80's (32 C) yesterday!
It was delightful getting together with you in beautiful Lisboa - I will try my best to give updates, but so far I am behind writing journal since Lisbon.
Bom Caminho,
Janice

What were the results of the pasteís de nata test Laurie ?
Very curious about :)

Abraço from Portugal
Albertinho

I am now a confirmed fan of room temperature, not heated, pasteis de nata. Paco Real's homemade pastries are a great place to start. There are several newer fancier places opening up in Lisbon, as Aurelio has noted, but who needs fancy?

I tried this place, too: http://www.nit.pt/article/03-03-2016-abriu-uma-nova-fabrica-de-pasteis-de-nata-em-lisboa

And I had a friend who was staying in one of my favorite parts of Lisbon, in the Saldanha but close to Corte Ingles, and we had one in her little hotel cafe, which was great too! http://www.realparque.realhotelsgro...t=item&id=187&Itemid=391&lang=en#.VyoZKoQrLcs

There is just no shortage of delicious pasteis in Lisbon. No need to head out to Belem to try one, though of course a trip to Belem is fun for other reasons!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am now a confirmed fan of room temperature, not heated, pasteis de nata. Paco Real's homemade pastries are a great place to start. There are several newer fancier places opening up in Lisbon, as Aurelio has noted, but who needs fancy?

I tried this place, too: http://www.nit.pt/article/03-03-2016-abriu-uma-nova-fabrica-de-pasteis-de-nata-em-lisboa

And I had a friend who was staying in one of my favorite parts of Lisbon, in the Saldanha but close to Corte Ingles, and we had one in her little hotel cafe, which was great too! http://www.realparque.realhotelsgro...t=item&id=187&Itemid=391&lang=en#.VyoZKoQrLcs

There is just no shortage of delicious pasteis in Lisbon. No need to head out to Belem to try one, though of course a trip to Belem is fun for other reasons!

Hi Laurie
I like to eat cold cream custard, because hot, they are all good.
Says who knows that the best way to check the quality of "pastel de nata" to eat them when they are cold.
Care must be taken with globalization, they are already many "pastel de nata" that not manufactured in the point of sale. They are made in industrial units, are frozen and sent to pastry shops. Always choose pastries with own manufacture.
AMsimoes

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back