• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting trip insurance using air miles: frequent flyers help!

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Wondering those of you who are using travel insurance mainly for medical and using air miles to fly, can tell me what to put in the box for cost-of travel? Should I be gestimating the cost of the ticket…or, should I put in zero for cost. I talked to several people at two different companies who did not appear to know…. One was clueless…surprisingly.
This is important as if this amount is incorrect, the insurance company will not pay medical coverage.

Also, I-would be interested in knowing what travel insurance companies/plans folks are using who are using air miles only! Thanks

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Air Miles usually really EZ to get reinstated and return of any taxes paid. Your insurance would cover any prepaid lodging (non-refundable) and more importantly, medical emergency. Note, most insurers do not cover any pre-existing medical conditions, so if you're seeing a heart doc and have a heart problem while traveling ... good luck getting any reimbursement.

Note, most insurers do not cover any pre-existing medical conditions, so if you're seeing a heart doc and have a heart problem while traveling ... good luck getting any reimbursement.
If you purchase your travel insurance within a specified period of time (I think usually two weeks) after making your first payment towards the trip many insurers will waive the pre-existing conditions restrictions. I use insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase travel insurance, and they have a filter for pre-existing conditions waiver.

Air Miles usually really EZ to get reinstated and return of any taxes paid. Your insurance would cover any prepaid lodging (non-refundable) and more importantly, medical emergency. Note, most insurers do not cover any pre-existing medical conditions, so if you're seeing a heart doc and have a heart problem while traveling ... good luck getting any reimbursement.
Many insurance companies will waive preexisting conditions if policy is gotten within 1-2-3 weeks of booking the flight. Although I make reservations, they can be cancelled and do not have to be prepaid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would definitely put a zero value on air miles. I believe this has gone to court in a couple of cases where air miles were deemed to have zero value. Otherwise, we would have to pay income taxes on the value of tickets (in the US). Putting a higher than zero value on the air miles tickets is technically fraud and you risk the insurance company voiding the entire policy if you really do have an issue and try and claim it.

I would definitely put a zero value on air miles. I believe this has gone to court in a couple of cases where air miles were deemed to have zero value. Otherwise, we would have to pay income taxes on the value of tickets (in the US). Putting a higher than zero value on the air miles tickets is technically fraud and you risk the insurance company voiding the entire policy if you really do have an issue and try and claim it.

Thanks! I put the amount at Zero. Later, In the application I was able to make a notation in a different category (date of booking) that I was using air miles.

Wondering those of you who are using travel insurance mainly for medical and using air miles to fly, can tell me what to put in the box for cost-of travel? Should I be gestimating the cost of the ticket…or, should I put in zero for cost. I talked to several people at two different companies who did not appear to know…. One was clueless…surprisingly.
This is important as if this amount is incorrect, the insurance company will not pay medical coverage.

Also, I-would be interested in knowing what travel insurance companies/plans folks are using who are using air miles only! Thanks
I have used Delta Skymiles twice now for my roundtrip ATL to MAD flights and used their Allianz travel insurance company. In 2016 I had a climbing trip to Ecuador that was cancelled due to bad weather hitting ATL. Flights were backed up for days. My trip was cancelled and since it was tour package, I couldn't reschedule. It was a pain and a lot of work, but after 3 weeks I got a reimbursement from Allianz my lost costs with the tour company. Using skymiles, the cost of my travel/med insurances was very low at $29. Message me if you need to know more. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Bama Hiker Insurance policies go up with age, unfortunately. I am 73. My sister is 81. Her insurances is almost double mine. However she is grateful to be able to obtain insurance.I think it is a small price to pay for us seniors to walk in Spain while knowing we have a health safety net!

Last edited:
Not what you asked, but if someone travels enough they might want to look at annual travel insurance. My husband and I have annual travel insurance with Allianz. For both of us for a year with a higher level of coverage it was in the $600-$700 range. It covers me if I am 100 miles from home....so not just on Camino, but hiking in Utah too.

Not what you asked, but if someone travels enough they might want to look at annual travel insurance. My husband and I have annual travel insurance with Allianz. For both of us for a year with a higher level of coverage it was in the $600-$700 range. It covers me if I am 100 miles from home....so not just on Camino, but hiking in Utah too.

Sorry, I know that the topic of annual plans is a bit off topic, but it’s a good suggestion.

In September, bought an annual plan for my husband and me (ages 71 and 82), $460 from Geoblue (a division of Blue Cross Blue Shield). It was their trekker choice plan. It covers $100,000 in medical expenses, $500,000 for evacuation. $100 deductivle.

I searched around quite a bit (getting lots of help and tips from the forum)and this was the best for us. Another real benefit is the EXTREMELY nice people on their customer service line (but then I am not surprised since they are midwesterners, situated in Indiana. :p)

I was surprised that the price was not much more than what a one-trip plan would have been. And being the optimist, I went with the thought that i would have multiple trips this year!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most travel insurance policies only refund actual monies spent and do not refund airline loyalty or frequent flier miles. If this is the case with your travel insurance, then you would only include trip costs that you actually paid by cash or with a credit card.

I would check with your airline's regarding their cancellation policy when you use frequent flier miles. Most airlines will redeposit them back into your account or charge you a fee if you cancel.

There are travel insurance policies which include a benefit to pay for the change fees.

I always advise friends to buy travel insurance from an insurance agent rather than an online travel reservation site such as Expedia or travel agent since those entities focus on travel arrangements and tickets and not insurance. If you purchase from an insurance agent, he or she can listen to your needs, explain the benefits and make sure you select the right policy. Most importantly, if you need to file a claim, then you have an advocate who can help you submit your loss rather than having to deal directly with a large insurance carrier. Anyone who has had to file a claim will attest it can be frustrating. If you are in the states, then I can send you a recommendation.

Merry Christmas from Arizona!

Adam

@Bama Hiker Insurance policies go up with age, unfortunately. I am 73. My sister is 81. Her insurances is almost double mine. However she is grateful to be able to obtain insurance.I think it is a small price to pay for us seniors to walk in Spain while knowing we have a health safety net!
Good news is Spain has a first world, first class health system and first responders. Good luck and Buen Camino to the both of you!

Sorry, I know that the topic of annual plans is a bit off topic, but it’s a good suggestion.

In September, bought an annual plan for my husband and me (ages 71 and 82), $460 from Geoblue (a division of Blue Cross Blue Shield). It was their trekker choice plan. It covers $100,000 in medical expenses, $500,000 for evacuation. $100 deductivle.

I searched around quite a bit (getting lots of help and tips from the forum)and this was the best for us. Another real benefit is the EXTREMELY nice people on their customer service line (but then I am not surprised since they are midwesterners, situated in Indiana. :p)

I was surprised that the price was not much more than what a one-trip plan would have been. And being the optimist, I went with the thought that i would have multiple trips this year!
Definitely off-topic.

I just looked at that, and it limits each trip to 70 days. Looks like a great policy otherwise, maybe I’ll have to call them and see what they charge to modify it if I think I might be gone a little longer on one of my trips, Because it gets much more expensive if you book each trip separately. But thanks for turning me onto this idea, that it may be more cost-effective to just buy an annual policy. I’m sure I’ll find a good one somewhere.

Edit: I did look around a bit and the longest trip duration you seem to be allowed is 90 days on an annual policy. You can take multiple trips in one year, but I guess they want you to come back home! You can buy a policy for up to 364 days from most places, but the cost is more like $1200.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I am blessed with good health, but I still resent that they can get away with premium rip-offs when most of us pilgrims are in better shape than many Americans who are younger.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.