• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Getting Vaccinated - Some Perspective Perhaps and a Prayer

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
It's great that things appear to be opening up, and more people are now able to access the Camino.

And I'm sorry to post this, by all means delete it Mods if you think it out of place.
Maybe I'm just feeling a bit despondent and needing to vent?
My apologies. It's been one of those weeks, and it's only Monday!

For those of us in far flung places like Australia, not only do we need our own International borders to re-open (maybe in 2022), but we need the countries that we transit through to be safe. Many of our Camino flights transit through places like Singapore, Bangkok, Dubai and so on.

I think this highlights what a global problem we are dealing with and what a long term issue it's likely to be.

Three things this week have added to my pessimism. Sorry. :oops:

On Thursday this week I'm chairing a LinkedIn live session with 2 global experts on Vaccine Distribution. One is head of Healthcare Logistics at the World Economic Forum, the other teaches at Harvard and wrote recently in the New York Times about the Inequity of Covid Vaccine Distribution globally. I've spoken to both of them this week already, and it was not exactly uplifting. But a message that needs to be shared.

Then today, Pat's family in Bangkok was turned away from a Vaccine appointment along with hundreds of others. Because quite simply, the vaccines had run out. They have no idea when their next appointment will be, if at all. They cannot risk making a new appointment, because they may lose the original one. All available vaccines appear to have been allocated. As an aside, if anyone knows of less distant countries that are open for Vaccine tourists, like the USA and Canada are, please let me know.

And then in the Philippines support office of my business, we have 6 staff (of 20+) who again have had to 'move in' to the office. Last year they spent 3 months living above the office. This is due to local Covid related restrictions on movement and the fact they can't work from home due to a range of tech and family issues. We have rented very basic accommodation above the office for them, a bit like an Albergue! And they have meals delivered. They are in good spirits thankfully and writing songs. Gotta love em. And I do.

(If i could buy vaccines for all of them and their families, I would do it tomorrow. But as in many countries, it's illegal. There is a strict prioritisation and rationing, which is only fair)

Why do I feel the need to post this? I'm wondering myself perhaps.

Perhaps it's just to share, views from other parts of the World.
So that whilst you are 'locked down' or unable to travel, or having frustrations with your flight bookings, or not getting responses from your emails to book Albergues or worried about if you'll get a ticket refund in case of cancellation.....

There are always others worse off. It's what the Camino teaches us. Gratitude.

If you can go on Camino, please do. I wish you well. I would too if I could.

But please say a few prayers along the way and in Santiago, for those who just want a vaccine. May they get one soon. This year hopefully.

P.S. Seriously, if you know anywhere I can fly my family to, not too far from Thailand, to get Covid vaccines, please DM me.

We may need look at the US (if they can get a Visa):
And Yes, this is happening, I know people who have done it already.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's great that things appear to be opening up, and more people are now able to access the Camino.

And I'm sorry to post this, by all means delete it Mods if you think it out of place.

For those of us in far flung places like Australia, not only do we need our own International borders to re-open (maybe in 2022), but we need the countries that we transit through to be safe. Many of our Camino flights transit through places like Singapore, Bangkok, Dubai and so on.

I think this highlights what a global problem we are dealing with and what a long term issue it's likely to be.

On Thursday this week I'm chairing a LinkedIn live session with 2 global experts on Vaccine Distribution. One is head of Healthcare Logistics at the World Economic Forum, the other teaches at Harvard and wrote recently in the New York Times about the Inequity of Covid Vaccine Distribution globally. I've spoken to both of them this week already, and it was not exactly uplifting. But a message that needs to be shared.

Then today, Pat's family in Bangkok was turned away from a Vaccine appointment along with hundreds of others. Because quite simply, the vaccines had run out. They have no idea when their next appointment will be, if at all. They cannot risk making a new appointment, because they may lose the original one. All available vaccines appear to have been allocated. As an aside, if anyone knows of less distant countries that are open for Vaccine tourists, like the USA and Canada are, please let me know.

And then in the Philippines support office of my business, we have 6 staff (of 20+) who again have had to 'move in' to the office. Last year they spent 3 months living above the office. This is due to local Covid related restrictions on movement and the fact they can't work from home due to a range of tech and family issues. We have rented very basic accommodation above the office for them, a bit like an Albergue! And they have meals delivered. They are in good spirits thankfully and writing songs. Gotta love em. And I do.

(If i could buy vaccines for all of them and their families, I would do it tomorrow. But as in many countries, it's illegal. There is a strict prioritisation and rationing, which is only fair)

So that whilst you are 'locked down' or unable to travel, or having frustrations with your flight bookings, or not getting responses from your emails to book Albergues or worried about if you'll get a ticket refund in case of cancellation.....

But please say a few prayers along the way and in Santiago, for those who just want a vaccine. May they get one soon. This year hopefully.

P.S. Seriously, if you know anywhere I can fly my family to, not too far from Thailand, to get Covid vaccines, please DM me.

I feel such gratitude to live in Canada where the goal is to get as many people vaccinated as possible and that it seems to be happening. I pray that it is soon possible for every country to be in such a good situation and that we are all out of this pandemic, living normally.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for the view from the other side of the world and the other side of Covid living. I hope that dealing with the pandemic in all parts of the world will improve quickly for the benefit of all. You have reminded me that pandemic means worldwide. May Peace prevail on Earth.

Robo, the inequities that exist regarding vaccines and so many other life saving things is so real and so painful. So many who want efficacious vaccines are struggling to stay well and alive. Others who have free access refuse them. The breach between countries that have and those that don’t is abysmal. The human toll is horrific. We are seeing a great deal of vaccine tourism here in Miami. My heart goes out to you. So wish I could help. Keep investigating your options, may you find a successful resolution.

I cannot, as a Canadian, give you an answer to this. But I know that Canada has committed and contributed to Covax, which is an organization committed to world-wide vaccination. As we do not produce any vaccines in Canada, in the early days of the pandemic, our government ordered, and committed to purchasing, many more doses than we could use ourselves. No one knew which would be successful. I do not know what will happen to these vaccines when we are fully vaccinated here, which should come soon. We need it to, since the Delta variant from India has been spreading here and is more infectious. But our commitment to Covax continues. No one is safe until all are safe.
I wish that there were not so many here who reject vaccines. My best friend is a pandemic denier, against all evidence. And I am, finally, fully vaccinated. I know that this will not totally protect me from all variants, but it should keep me alive. I understand the fear felt by those whose family members cannot be vaccinated. One of my brothers has so far rejected it. All the best in getting your family safely vaccinated.

UNICEF are running a program called GET a vaccine GIVE a vaccine. Those of us who can should support this program by donation. It can be found online. I will be donating after I receive my second vacine on Wednesday. I consider myself very fortunate just because of where I was born and where I live.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I think your observations and reminders are very much needed. Many lose perspective without these kinds of reminders.

Thanks, Robo.

I wish that there were not so many here who reject vaccines. My best friend is a pandemic denier, against all evidence.

I know this feeling, I wish I was more skillful at explaining what I know and have seen so I could at least give this other person something to perhaps at least to consider and hold onto for a few moments rather than rejecting straight away.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I cannot, as a Canadian, give you an answer to this. But I know that Canada has committed and contributed to Covax, which is an organization committed to world-wide vaccination. As we do not produce any vaccines in Canada, in the early days of the pandemic, our government ordered, and committed to purchasing, many more doses than we could use ourselves. No one knew which would be successful. I do not know what will happen to these vaccines when we are fully vaccinated here, which should come soon. We need it to, since the Delta variant from India has been spreading here and is more infectious. But our commitment to Covax continues. No one is safe until all are safe.
I wish that there were not so many here who reject vaccines. My best friend is a pandemic denier, against all evidence. And I am, finally, fully vaccinated. I know that this will not totally protect me from all variants, but it should keep me alive. I understand the fear felt by those whose family members cannot be vaccinated. One of my brothers has so far rejected it. All the best in getting your family safely vaccinated.
I also have a very dear friend who is refusing the vaccine. She has told me about a number of her friends who are cutting off contact with her. We live 1200 km apart so I haven't had to deal with this situation directly but I am not sure what I will do over the summer when we have a chance to see each other. I will be fully vaccinated by then.

a most timely and thought provoking post. I can only add my prayers.

Yours respectfully

Samarkand.

Rob, my wife, Jill, is a Registered Nurse who is Charge on our hospitals pediatric unit. She has also been involved with our vaccination efforts with our vaccination center -- which has been a huge parking area that has tents for the medical workers and supplies, and drive up service lanes -- for those receiving the vaccine at our small sports arena (hockey, concerts. . .7,000 seats).

Our vaccinations are also given to folks outside of our region who are visiting the area, and also to families and workers who are the migrant laborers for our large agricultural orchard farming concerns.

If you are able to, and wish to fly into Seattle, I would be happy to drive over from East Wenatchee and pick you folks up, and have you stay with us until you receive the vaccine.

I can ask Jill what the current status is on the single dose vaccine, but I do know that the two-dose vaccine is readily available.

Dave

PS.. . . It is a bit of a split emotion with the vaccination vs the developing nations; on the one hand we can be thankful that the first world has the ability to research and develop medicines and technologies to combat illness and disease. On the other hand, I am disheartened with our current limitations to increase the mass production of, and then to logistically distribute the quantity of medicines and vaccines to those nations and peoples unable to provide for themselves.

PPS. . . If you do come, we will make sure that your footwear issues are either resolved as best they can be, or to re-check and re-verify that your feet are well shod. :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are many who cannot receive the vaccine for medical reasons.
They/we will remain in self-imposed ‘lockdown’ for many, many more months yet …
I believe that all of us who can be vaccinated owe it to those who cannot because of medical issues, to get the shot in order to create a world that's safe for them!

I also have a very dear friend who is refusing the vaccine. She has told me about a number of her friends who are cutting off contact with her. We live 1200 km apart so I haven't had to deal with this situation directly but I am not sure what I will do over the summer when we have a chance to see each other. I will be fully vaccinated by then.

So sad … the fear and divisiveness that is in danger of ruling humanity, in so many ways, because of this virus.

Caution, and care and respect for the ‘other’, seems to be a sensible way to go … and pragmatism might just lead to the global dissemination of the vaccines. 🤞🏼

€149,-
So sad … the fear and divisiveness that is in danger of ruling humanity, in so many ways, because of this virus.
Agreed... but it's always there... the virus has unleashed it, but this is how humans are without a social contract. What the virus has done is to reveal how flimsy and opportunistic what little social contract we had left after almost 4 decades of "me first/ go it alone/don't need no social safety net" policy....

Agreed... but it's always there... the virus has unleashed it, but this is how humans are without a social contract. What the virus has done is to reveal how flimsy and opportunistic what little social contract we had left after almost 4 decades of "me first/ go it alone/don't need no social safety net" policy....

I used the word ‘pragmatism’ but perhaps another way of putting it might be ‘enlightened self-interest’?

@Robo make no apologies for sharing. I for one welcome the input and insight.

I have typed and deleted 3 different replies now and can't quite get it right, the issues are sticky and full of contradictory viewpoints that frustrate me to no end. I suppose I should just echo the others who have said that we all must do our part. I hope that more and more people come to realize this, that the global vaccine distribution improves, and that humanity as a whole moves at least a bit closer to the type of selfless way of being that we have all experienced as pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
PPS. . . If you do come, we will make sure that your footwear issues are either resolved as best they can be, or to re-check and re-verify that your feet are well shod.
Robo,
I don’t mean to add inappropriate levity to your very serious thread but if you can get both a vaccine and @davebugg’s hands-on shoe advice, it might well be worth the trip!

Initially, getting a shot here in USA was iffy, but now we’re offering college scholarships and million dollar lotteries as bribes for folks to get the jab.

Robo, you’re post really puts into perspective the alternate universes of our day-to-day lives.

I pray something opens up for you and yours as soon as possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I feel sorry for the people living in other parts of the world than the industrialized countries... In Africa 1% are vaccinated... IMHO this is not fair. I am twice vaccinated: Lucky me... The virus will not kill me...

Thank you for those who send DMs. And for the offers of hospitality, and shoe shopping ;)

Thankfully Pat and I are getting vaccines here in Australia. 1st shot so far. (next one booked in)
But we get worried about family in Thailand, and our team in the Philippines.
And of course there are people and countries even worse off.

In my work, I talk to clients all over the World, almost daily.
Naturally all online meetings start with a Covid/vaccine catch up.
The situation is constantly changing.
Our neighbours in Fiji have been hard recently.

Let's all hope and pray that everyone is able to get access to vaccines soon.

See you out there on the Camino some day soon I hope. ;)

Last edited:
It is a great post opening the thread @Robo. Those of us who have walked the camino are beyond lucky, not just because we have the affluence, ability, and time to travel, but also because it brings us into contact with so many interesting people.

Your post took me back to looking at that well loved poem:

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne 1572-1631

Late in replying on this thread, I endorse the post from @Robo. In a pm, I shared a story including a reference to discovering that it had been 94 days since there had been an update on cases and deaths recorded in Uganda. It is difficult to interpret that fact, but my immediate reaction was: how lucky am I to live in a society where the facts are posted without trying to hide the truth. The second thought? How can I join a petition to TRY (sorry for capitals as they contravene norms) to persuade better off societies to honour the COVAX project for sharing vaccines? Instead of heading out today, a beautiful day here in Dublin, I have at least two priorities. One, to find out more about my own question, and two, to open all the windows and the kitchen door and do what needs to be done to clean the kitchen, snd do it mindfully, aware of the intense suffering and sorrow surrounding every death due to Covid 19 in our sorry world. I hope and pray at the micro level, Robo, that Pat's family are soon protected by vaccination.

Late in replying on this thread, I endorse the post from @Robo. In a pm, I shared a story including a reference to discovering that it had been 94 days since there had been an update on cases and deaths recorded in Uganda. It is difficult to interpret that fact, but my immediate reaction was: how lucky am I to live in a society where the facts are posted without trying to hide the truth. The second thought? How can I join a petition to TRY (sorry for capitals as they contravene norms) to persuade better off societies to honour the COVAX project for sharing vaccines? Instead of heading out today, a beautiful day here in Dublin, I have at least two priorities. One, to find out more about my own question, and two, to open all the windows and the kitchen door and do what needs to be done to clean the kitchen, snd do it mindfully, aware of the intense suffering and sorrow surrounding every death due to Covid 19 in our sorry world. I hope and pray at the micro level, Robo, that Pat's family are soon protected by vaccination.

Dear @kirkie . Thank you for your wishes.
We are doing all we can to ensure that Pat's extended family gets access to a vaccine.
We spoke just a short time ago to our family Doctor in Bangkok for further advice.
This is such a divisive issue though.
What about those who don't have the means or the ability to 'pull strings'?. It's so saddening......

But on a less selfish note, if you have any links to programs that will ensure vaccine distribution to less fortunate areas of the World, do please share them. I'm sure many of us would like to donate.

What about those who don't have the means or the ability to 'pull strings'?. It's so saddening......
Not to mention people living in places where the situation is so bad that covid is the least of peoples' worries. And there are no vaccines.

But on a less selfish note, if you have any links to programs that will ensure vaccine distribution to less fortunate areas of the World, do please share them. I'm sure many of us would like to donate.
On a more positive note, people are trying to help people. I just found thus:
And this:

@Robo , or anyone here, do you know anyone who can vouch for either of these?

Not to mention people living in places where the situation is so bad that covid is the least of peoples' worries. And there are no vaccines.

On a more positive note, people are trying to help people. I just found thus:
And this:

@Robo , or anyone here, do you know anyone who can vouch for either of these?

many thanks.I'll check out those links!

Dear @kirkie . Thank you for your wishes.
We are doing all we can to ensure that Pat's extended family gets access to a vaccine.
We spoke just a short time ago to our family Doctor in Bangkok for further advice.
This is such a divisive issue though.

Dear Robo — and all — I say this as An effort assure one that there is no moral problem with acquiring. A vaccine through whatever means one can:

One thing that my colleagues in pharmacy science really press home is that there is no “zero sum game” in vaccination. Those who cannot pull strings, cannot access a vaccine benefit from other being vaccinated because of the increased immunity it brings to communities. *AND* yes, we can donate, and so forth. But as with all vaccination programmes, getting oneself vaccinated does protect one’s unvaccinated neighbours (even with the “what if a vaccinated person can still transmit x” rhetoric — which is fading as a serious question as the data come in…). Anyone who *can* get a vaccine should, and we should all do what we can to get vaccines to others as well.
Warm wishes,
Faye

Hi Robo, good post, thank you for sharing. We in South Africa are also behind schedule. My husband (over 70 years old), and I, had our FIRST vaccination shots today. Meanwhile we are keeping our heads down while we go into strict lock down again . . . Johannesburg has been hit badly by the delta variant.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is Canada open for vaccine tourists??
No not even to vaccinated tourists OR the Americans. The high rate of non vaccinated Americans is worrisome for Canada hence our border is still closed (over 1 year) until July 21st when heavily restricted crossing by Americans MAY be possible. @Robo Know you must feel trapped and feel your frustration and disappointment. Stay well, stay hopeful and I’m sure we’ll see /hear from you on the Camino soon.

UNICEF are running a program called GET a vaccine GIVE a vaccine. Those of us who can should support this program by donation. It can be found online. I will be donating after I receive my second vacine on Wednesday. I consider myself very fortunate just because of where I was born and where I live.
Thank you. I am going to donate

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've made my donation.

Donated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.