• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting worried about a June Camino

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
I am arriving in Madrid on May 25th. My friend is teaching English in Avila, so we are leaving after his school year is over. We'll be touring Madrid, Toledo, and Salamanca and then we'll start the Camino from Roncesvalles on May 31st. After reading different threads on here, I'm getting nervous about how busy it will be. I know July and August are the most crowded, but June is a close second. And given the fact that this is a Holy Year, I'm guessing there will be even more people walking.

I'm not Catholic (my friend is) and don't really know anything about typical Spanish or European travel holidays. So I'm hoping when we start, which falls on a Tuesday, won't be terribly busy. This is probably the last thing I'm worried about, besides injuring my knee. Should we book a bed for any particular part?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will be ok, if alburgues are full you will find Hostels or other private accommodation, there does not seem to be a shortage of beds. Just pre plan the night before your next town, most guide have them easily marked.
You have an advantage simply by going with someone who has lived in Spain.

Starting on a Tuesday from Roncesvalles is a big advantage as a lot of pilgrims start on/closer to weekends. Also June is kind of between most European school holidays, so you should be fine. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2016 is not a standard Holy a Year on the Way of St. James. The next is 2021.

It's a Holy a Year in the sense that Pope Francis has declared a Holy Year and asked for it to be celebrated worldwide, that is, without the customary focus on Rome. Whether the fact that the Cathedral is participating increases the numbers on the Camino is anyone's guess. It would be ironic if it did, since the Pope's point was to make participation available to all and locally.

The pilgrimage will not return to the days of smaller crowds. Unless you have a time machine, you will have to accept the conditions as they exist today, and it has become very popular. Keep in mind that the statistics are generally for arrivals in Santiago, so the the August numbers are for pilgrims who probably started in July. July numbers are for those who started in June. June numbers are for those who started in May. August of last year had over 2000 per day almost every day, with a peak of 2748 on August 9. July averaged 1,444 per day with fewer in early July and more in late July (only one day in July had fewer than 1000 arrivals, and that was July 1 with 920).

I think it is time to be less sanguine about the results of spontaneity. Pilgrims will not be able to start late, walk until evening, then easily find a bed. Those who start predawn and stop a 2 p.m. will get the beds. They probably will have an attitude toward the pilgrims who interrupt their afternoon nap! Pilgrims arriving at albergues that take reservations probably will be greeted with a stack of backpacks that have been sent ahead.

To those who are thinking "I should have done this ten years ago," you are right. :)

I think you'll be fine. It will probably be quieter along most of the route than if you'd started earlier in May. The exception is the last section from Sarria, which does get steadily busier towards high summer. However if you arrive there at the end of June/start of July it will still be well below the August peak. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
walk from Madrid, walk VDLP. if Frances is a must, make stops between stages

Hi Mina. I walked it in 2008 and have been rather shocked to hear how the numbers have increased, so I also am somewhat anxious about my Camino this year. I'll be starting from St Jean on the 1st June but just going to Orisson that first day, and have already booked my overnight there. Thereafter I plan to be starting at the crack of ever so early and finishing by early PM, as I did last time. It seems that having a phone and list of numbers is going to be essential ...

Don't borrow trouble. It's an adventure...means nothing is guaranteed. That's the point. Besides, you will be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Camino in 2007 and 2009. Getting beds was a problem. Quite the race on some days, hostels filling up before noon.

Did from Astorga to Santiago May 2015 and it was fine. Perfect. So many new places have opened that I could walk as long as I wanted, stop when I wanted. There was always a place, and no one seemed anxious about it on the trail.

There's an astonishing number of pilgrims doing the trail, but the Spanish have been building busily. It's lovely.

Just make sure to not exhaust yourself by doing too much, leave room for finding a bed. You'll have a great walk.

The pilgrimage will not return to the days of smaller crowds. Unless you have a time machine, you will have to accept the conditions as they exist today, and it has become very popular. Keep in mind that the statistics are generally for arrivals in Santiago, so the the August numbers are for pilgrims who probably started in July. July numbers are for those who started in June. June numbers are for those who started in May. August of last year had over 2000 per day almost every day, with a peak of 2748 on August 9. July averaged 1,444 per day with fewer in early July and more in late July (only one day in July had fewer than 1000 arrivals, and that was July 1 with 920).

I think it is time to be less sanguine about the results of spontaneity. Pilgrims will not be able to start late, walk until evening, then easily find a bed. Those who start predawn and stop a 2 p.m. will get the beds. They probably will have an attitude toward the pilgrims who interrupt their afternoon nap! Pilgrims arriving at albergues that take reservations probably will be greeted with a stack of backpacks that have been sent ahead.

To those who are thinking "I should have done this ten years ago," you are right. :)

I am SO glad I did it ten years ago!

Hi Mina. I walked it in 2008 and have been rather shocked to hear how the numbers have increased, so I also am somewhat anxious about my Camino this year. I'll be starting from St Jean on the 1st June but just going to Orisson that first day, and have already booked my overnight there. Thereafter I plan to be starting at the crack of ever so early and finishing by early PM, as I did last time. It seems that having a phone and list of numbers is going to be essential ...
Where did you stsy in Orisson?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am arriving in Madrid on May 25th. My friend is teaching English in Avila, so we are leaving after his school year is over. We'll be touring Madrid, Toledo, and Salamanca and then we'll start the Camino from Roncesvalles on May 31st. After reading different threads on here, I'm getting nervous about how busy it will be. I know July and August are the most crowded, but June is a close second. And given the fact that this is a Holy Year, I'm guessing there will be even more people walking.

I'm not Catholic (my friend is) and don't really know anything about typical Spanish or European travel holidays. So I'm hoping when we start, which falls on a Tuesday, won't be terribly busy. This is probably the last thing I'm worried about, besides injuring my knee. Should we book a bed for any particular part?

Minaleigh:

Since you will be in Madrid, why not just start there. It is a beautiful Camino and far less traveled. You will have a variety of nature, mountains early followed by forests and then Meseta. You go through Segovia a nice city with lots of things to see. This route intersects the Frances in Sahagun where you will get good gauge of how crowded the route is. If to many people, you have a choice to switch to the Salvador in Leon and then pick up the Primitivo in Oviedo or continue North to the ocean and the Norte.

So many options. Try not to worry too much and just adjust to whatever conditions exist.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back