• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting your protein on the Camino

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
I read somewhere today that there is more protein in potato than previously thought. If this is true then the humble Spanish Tortilla is some kind of camino protein superfood!

For those who are not big fans of the dominant carne, where have you found protein on the Camino?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I enjoy meat. I am also very fond of beans and often choose them as part of a menu when available. Fabada asturiana is a particular favourite, especially with sidra natural. The downside tends to be the "Blazing Saddles" effect....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been a vegetarian for 47 years. One reason I've survived healthily this long is that I know about sources of protein. We all need essential amino acids or proteins. A tortilla contains essential proteins in the egg, not the potato. Just because a food contains protein doesn't mean it's sufficiently nutritious. Protein varies in quality depending on the food item.

If you eat dairy, then eggs, cheese, yoghurt will give you good quality protein. If you're a vegan, it's more difficult - legumes are the best source of vegetable protein: beans, chick peas, lentils. Combine them with grains at the same meal and you'll be OK. The traditional foundation diets of some of the world's large geographical/cultural areas are always combinations of legumes and grains : Asia - lentils or soya and rice; Middle East - check peas and wheat; North and Central America - beans and corn. People in these areas eat meat or fish, of course, but when not available, the foundation diet is OK.

Some vegans, it seems to me, are badly misinformed about proper sources of nutrition.

Check proper scientific lists of ingredients rather than follow lists of individual faddish "superfood" items. Reading "somewhere" isn't good enough.

Many people eat too much protein. About 100 grams a day of "complete" protein is considered enough. Some people eat meat 3 times a day. That's a waste of money and arable land and is a source of dangerous amounts of methane.

Good luck, Mike

At home I eat mainly chicken and eggs/egg whites as my protein source, supplemented with black beans. I eat beef or pork maybe once a week. On the Camino, and I guess it's because of the caloric burn, it seemed like I could eat any kind of meats as a protein source everyday, and I did. A craving I suppose.
I ate a lot of the tortilla on the Camino, and the empanadas. Tuna or beef. and quite often I would buy a bag of salted peanuts for snacking and energy.

I am bringing a satchet of 25 grms of protein to dissolve in my drinking cantina once a day on trips, as I need a a small amount to keep my intake sufficiently high.
The need for protein is higher after the 60 yr mark, remember that due to the thermogenesis when metabolised up to 30% of protein goes lost to break down the long chains to absorbable matter. But many other that meat sources can be sought after: chick peas, sesame paste (Tahin) on bread w/ hony, better than peanut . Eggs and oats !
You will be needing 1,4 gram of protein pr kilo body weight a day if you´re in the sixties...
- You will need to have 650 grams of lean chicken meat to satisfy that by animal protein alone , or 575 grams of prime English beef. That is a lot & will really fill your tummy and make you sluggish....
My favourite crave is a packet of almonds pr day, something that I usually ration at home to 14 almonds/ day. Almonds are 22 grms of protein pr 100 grms and such a delight to snack...On the Camiono, I go nuts....

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am bringing a satchet of 25 grms of protein to dissolve in my drinking cantina once a day on trips, as I need a a small amount to keep my intake sufficiently high.
The need for protein is higher after the 60 yr mark, remember that due to the thermogenese when metabolised up to 30% of protein goes to break down the long chains to absorbable matter. But many other that meat sources can be sought after: chick peas, sesame paste (Tahin) on bread w/ hony, better than peanut . Eggs and oats !
You will be needing 1,4 gram of protein pr kilo body weight a day...
you will need 650 grams of lean chicken meat to satisfy that by animal protein alone , or 575 grams of prime English beef. That is a lot & will really fill your tummy and make you sluggish....
My favourite crave is a packet of almonds pr day, something that I usually ration at home to 14 almonds/ day. On the Camiono, I go nuts....
650 grams sounds like a huge amount. That's over 4 kilos per week! - sounds crazy to me. I've read that any excess protein consumed is burned for calories. That's some very expensive calories. I'm 72 and I never eat 650 grams of protein per day, even when I was on Camino. Protein overconsumption translates to excess greenhouse gases as arable land is used very inefficiently to grow animal protein - a very good reason to be prudent.

@oh no Mike; I meant grams of MEAT to make the 1,4 gram of protein pr kilo body weight requirement.
You are absolutely right, that would be absurd.
And to support your opinion, the WHO recommends 0,7 grams of protein intake pr kilo bodyweight as a minimum, but it is assumed that they have not compensated for the thermogenesis.
Carbohydrates and fat do not have the same problem, here a calorie is a calorie, easily metabolised, but protein is complex and some of the energy will be turned into heat.
And you are right, vegetarians stay very healthy and slim on your intake, but if you are walking and will retain some of your muscle tissue you might want to amp it up. And yes, why not responsibly by good foodstuffs....

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like Mike, I'm a vegetarian. And I do fine on the Camino--actually getting much more protein than usual, thanks to those tortillas!
Relax, and I'd suggest leaving the protein powder home unless there's medical need for it.
(Why there is so much anxiety in our culture about getting enough protein may be more about clever marketing than anything else. But that's off topic.)

Like Mike, I'm a vegetarian. And I do fine on the Camino--actually getting much more protein than usual, thanks to those tortillas!
Relax, and I'd suggest leaving the protein powder home unless there's medical need for it.
(Why there is so much anxiety in our culture about getting enough protein may be more about clever marketing than anything else. But that's off topic.)
I don't know. The stuff seems to aid in recovering faster when lifting heavy, and I throw back two servings (whey powder) a day when trying to bench more.

I don't know. The stuff seems to aid in recovering faster when lifting heavy, and I throw back two servings (whey powder) a day when trying to bench more.
Ah well. Yes, agreed--that level of exertion and muscle building's very different, Mark. But for most of us it's just expensive calories, even on the Camino. ( :)So long as we're eating enough tortilla super-food!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am normally vegetarian but in Spain I put that on hold. I work on 1.5g protein/kg weight as a minimum. To maintain my weight I had to eat at least double what I normally eat. My fat % was where I wanted it and I did not want to lose. I definitely gained a lot more muscle bulk on my calves. When eating out I relied on the menu del dia which rarely had a veg*n option. I tend to cook vegetarian so on the nights I cooked it was easier. And I tended to choose the meat from smaller animals where possible. I made a lot of trail mix to snack on. I must say I think Spaniards have got the proportions right with their small amounts of meat and lots of pulses with their vegetables. I'm glad I'm not a vegan because that would be very difficult on the VDLP.

@Donna , I share your delight in the variety that can be had on the Camino.
I have had cancer, lost 30 kgs and had to train to get some muscle to be relied upon when trekking. Never a sore shoulder or back again since when I was 18 !
So it may seem like over-thinking in terms of how much calories/ protein I should take, but I have had so much success with looking into what I eat, and eating simple. Many food groups are there right in front of you.
In Spain variety is plethora and life can easily be enjoyed while sweating the trail.....

Last edited:
Ah well. Yes, agreed--that level of exertion and muscle building's very different, Mark. But for most of us it's just expensive calories, even on the Camino. ( :)So long as we're eating enough tortilla super-food!)
I definitely wouldn't haul a container of the stuff on me while walking the Camino. Just too impractical.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I read somewhere today that there is more protein in potato than previously thought. If this is true then the humble Spanish Tortilla is some kind of camino protein superfood!
If potatoes are said to be a source of protein, you'll get a lot of potato protein on the Camino. Not only are the Spanish tortillas great, but if you eat meals from the pilgrims' menus, you'll get a big pile of french fries (a.k.a. chips) with almost every meal.

I am vegetarian. gluten intolerant and have to have B12 injections every 6 weeks as my body is lacking the ' intrinsic factor ' which means I would become anaemic very quickly so I keep an eye on my protein levels on a daily basis so am a tad worried that I will ingest enough each day. While I am training, I burn around 200 calories per hour of walking ....am expecting to be quite hungry !!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am vegetarian. gluten intolerant and have to have B12 injections every 6 weeks as my body is lacking the ' intrinsic factor ' which means I would become anaemic very quickly so I keep an eye on my protein levels on a daily basis so am a tad worried that I will ingest enough each day. While I am training, I burn around 200 calories per hour of walking ....am expecting to be quite hungry !!
Hi Suzie,

On Camino, maybe control your walking hours each day so as not to get too worn out. Have days off frequently. Burning calories is one thing, but the extra stress of walking every day for weeks on end is a whole other level of effort for your body to deal with and to recover from. Weariness can build up and wear you down, make you vulnerable.

I carried trail mix which I made myself and "energy" bars which I found in the breakfast cereal section of Spanish supermarkets (stock up in the bigger towns). Some of the energy bars are chocolate-coated! Crazy for a normal breakfast but loaded with calories for snacks. 200 calories an hour isn't an unreasonable amount. My phone app tells me I burn more than that per hour on my daily walk.

You'll have to keep an eye on your iron intake if you're anaemic. There's iron in dark chocolate - many walkers eat it for the calories alone. I took a good quality iron supplement while on Camino, as I'm vegetarian and I was concerned on my first Camino because I heard that the Spanish diet is very meat-heavy and expected I might end up on a patchy diet which wasn't as varied as I was used to. Non-vegetarians often don't realise how rich fresh food (salad!) is in minerals and vitamins. You'll have to work at it to get a varied diet of fresh food on Camino. Cooked vegetables can easily have the goodies boiled out of them. Cooked veggies no substitute for fresh. I used to ask waiters to combine ingredients from different dishes on the menu so I ended up with a properly interesting salad. You'll find some interesting items in even smaller supermarkets along the Camino - cans of chick peas, jars of chick pea or bean-based "stew", and large jars of crunchy salad! Yes salad in jars - bean shoots and other selected goodies in a mild brine. Pour off the brine and dig in. Weird but delicious and surprisingly good stuff. You'll eat a lot of oranges on Camino - every second bar has an elaborate orange-juicing machine. Fresh. OJ. Never mind the sugar, you'll burn that up, go for the vitamin C to help your bod to repair itself every day.

When I got back home, I had a medical checkup. I told my doctor about muscle stiffness, tightness while walking, she said "magnesium!" Next time I will take a very good supplement which contains magnesium as well as iron - in fact I take a tablet every day now. On Camino, I assume that unusual demands on one's body create these extra needs, which can result, it seems, in these unusual temporary mild deficiencies. As a vegetarian on Camino, my diet was inconsistent and not as varied as I was accustomed to, because the culture is different. Protein is easy, minerals & vitamins - not so much. Your diet is so specific that I suggest these few extra strategies.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Suzie,

On Camino, maybe control your walking hours each day so as not to get too worn out. Have days off frequently. Burning calories is one thing, but the extra stress of walking every day for weeks on end is a whole other level of effort for your body to deal with and to recover from. Weariness can build up and wear you down, make you vulnerable.

I carried trail mix which I made myself and "energy" bars which I found in the breakfast cereal section of Spanish supermarkets (stock up in the bigger towns). Some of the energy bars are chocolate-coated! Crazy for a normal breakfast but loaded with calories for snacks. 200 calories an hour isn't an unreasonable amount. My phone app tells me I burn more than that per hour on my daily walk.

You'll have to keep an eye on your iron intake if you're anaemic. There's iron in dark chocolate - many walkers eat it for the calories alone. I took a good quality iron supplement while on Camino, as I'm vegetarian and I was concerned on my first Camino because I heard that the Spanish diet is very meat-heavy and expected I might end up on a patchy diet which wasn't as varied as I was used to. Non-vegetarians often don't realise how rich fresh food (salad!) is in minerals and vitamins. You'll have to work at it to get a varied diet of fresh food on Camino. Cooked vegetables can easily have the goodies boiled out of them. Cooked veggies no substitute for fresh. I used to ask waiters to combine ingredients from different dishes on the menu so I ended up with a properly interesting salad. You'll find some interesting items in even smaller supermarkets along the Camino - cans of chick peas, jars of chick pea or bean-based "stew", and large jars of crunchy salad! Yes salad in jars - bean shoots and other selected goodies in a mild brine. Pour off the brine and dig in. Weird but delicious and surprisingly good stuff. You'll eat a lot of oranges on Camino - every second bar has an elaborate orange-juicing machine. Fresh. OJ. Never mind the sugar, you'll burn that up, go for the vitamin C to help your bod to repair itself every day.

When I got back home, I had a medical checkup. I told my doctor about muscle stiffness, tightness while walking, she said "magnesium!" Next time I will take a very good supplement which contains magnesium as well as iron - in fact I take a tablet every day now. On Camino, I assume that unusual demands on one's body create these extra needs, which can result, it seems, in these unusual temporary mild deficiencies. As a vegetarian on Camino, my diet was inconsistent and not as varied as I was accustomed to, because the culture is different. Protein is easy, minerals & vitamins - not so much. Your diet is so specific that I suggest these few extra strategies.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Thanks for that Mike, I never thought about tinned pulses but that would be a good daily snack and as for magnesium, I have a spray I use on my aching muscle daily_ I might start on tablets too!
Ben camino!

I have a small list that I rely upon when dining off the shelf as it were; shopping from day to day in a local supermarket on the Camino or similar; and looking for good protein that will be in ordinary daily products found everywhere:

Meat:
Tuna (27 gr protein), chicken 26 gr, sardines 25, shrimp 24, cod roe 22, smoked salmon 21, egg 13.

Beans n´lentils:

soy beans 36 gr, red lentils 27, brown beans 26, mung beans 24, white beans 21, chick peas 20, tofu 8

Snacks:

peanuts 25 gr, pistaccios 21, cashew 17, pecan 10 , raisins 4, dried figs 4

Green vegetables:
almost everything in the lower 5 area !

only problem with canned beans is if you trust the lining, it might have some chemicals you do not want, but apart from that..find those products that you would buy at home..

Salad on the trail is easily prepared and tossed in a freeze plastic bag; put beans, lettuce, tuna, some dressing essentials if you like, even some nuts, and you have salad for 2 - 4 people that you might enjoy in the open with lots of octane and protein in it !
- do not forget a glass of local red wine and bread for the rustic impression !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
chick peas

--

though if you have no problem with eggs : tortilla and tortilla de patatas will serve you well ; meat content is typically zero

also, if you're not avoiding them, seek out pilgrim menus with meat, poultry, or fish

650 grams sounds like a huge amount. That's over 4 kilos per week! - sounds crazy to me. I've read that any excess protein consumed is burned for calories. That's some very expensive calories. I'm 72 and I never eat 650 grams of protein per day, even when I was on Camino. Protein overconsumption translates to excess greenhouse gases as arable land is used very inefficiently to grow animal protein - a very good reason to be prudent.

You can't reduce individual needs to ideological/political abstractions - you personally seem to be perfectly fine within these decisions ; I start being ill when I'm not getting enough red meat.

PS I think the sensible "no politics" rule is being stretched here ...

@JabbaPapa I misprinted and Mike Misread, I meant to state tahat a whole days woth of protein should be 650 of meat to privide the nescessary level of protein pr day, Mike thought I meant 650 grms of Protein. Which is ridiculous, of course.
My mistake !!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"The RDA states that 0.8 g of protein/kg of body weight per day is adequate for all adults. But research indicates that protein requirements increase with age. Recommendations for how much protein is enough for older people vary, but current studies suggest that most people over age 65 should take in about 1 g to 1.2 g of protein/kg of body weight per day to both gain and maintain muscle mass and function."

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/040715p16.shtml

This is just a random article:
further,
"There are no separate recommendations for people between ages 50 and 65, but it stands to reason that getting enough protein during that time would make good nutrition sense. "No one has done an age-related curve of protein needs," Layman says, "but by age 65, you need the combination of exercise and high-quality protein. Older adults are less efficient in using amino acids for muscle protein synthesis than are young adults. Exercise increases the efficiency of muscle protein synthesis in older adults."

There is no doubt that we are active, use our muscles and have an added metabolism, so this is important; other sources describe even higher levels .......

You can't reduce individual needs to ideological/political abstractions - you personally seem to be perfectly fine within these decisions ; I start being ill when I'm not getting enough red meat.

PS I think the sensible "no politics" rule is being stretched here ...
Hunger and appetite are two different things. Hunger is a physical need and appetite is an abstraction based on habit.

Hunger and appetite are two different things. Hunger is a physical need and appetite is an abstraction based on habit.

I'm sorry, but that's just ideology -- and BTW it has exactly nothing to do with what I wrote -- whatever my personal, individual, nutritional needs may be, you simply can't guess them online from the other side of the world.

I make no attempt whatsoever to guess your own, and I'd appreciate similar courtesy on your part.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sorry , now I am lost, am backing down....

I'm sorry, but that's just ideology -- and BTW it has exactly nothing to do with what I wrote -- whatever my personal, individual, nutritional needs may be, you simply can't guess them online from the other side of the world.

I make no attempt whatsoever to guess your own, and I'd appreciate similar courtesy on your part.
Unless there's some individual pathology at play, then everyone's nutritional needs are the same. Hunger is just chemistry, it seems to me. However, one's personal preferences can be culturally influenced or can be idiosyncratic and can become habits. These preferences, I think, can be illogical and/or even harmful on a global scale. Some foods can become addictive - there's a global epidemic of type 2 diabetes on the rampage at the moment. One major reason is that we have evolved to over-respond to some sugars which are ubiquitous in our modern world but occur very rarely in an un-industrialised environment.

I try to make choices logically, based on best information and with informed judgement of consequences. My actions might seem ideological or political but that's an incorrect reading. I might sound as though I'm politicising an argument when all that's happening is I'm talking about more detailed and complete and responsible choices, IMHO.

I have a set of needs which are a response to a particular, mild, genetic aberration. I have, as a result had to become particularly well informed about nutrition. My nutritional needs are the same as everyone else's, they're just tweaked a bit based on individual circumstances.

I always try to choose my words very carefully. I won't allow for religious beliefs which preclude acceptance of evolution or for political belief systems which trump science-based common sense. I'm not going to apologise for being well-informed.

I'm not posting any more about this on this thread. The OP was about where to find protein on the Camino. That's been covered in a lot of detail.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.