• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gibraltar-Lisbon-Porto-Santiago

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Bom Caminho - I've searched the posts and I'm a little surprised this common question didn't pop up. We are travelling from Lisbon starting in 01 April. For an 01April start would you recommend sleeping bags or liners? We've walked the Frances x2 both starting in May and of course by then liners were fine. We walked the Via Francigena London-Rome in 2021 walking July-October and definitely needed a sleeping bag over the Alps and in October nearing Rome. If all the albergues could supply a blanket, then my answer would be liner. But I just don't know Portugal. Thoughts?

Actually we're starting from Gibraltar 01March and making our own route to Lisbon. It's been quite the ordeal finding lodging in part of that route, but we've managed to make a comprehensive lodging list and route if anyone is interested. Also we'll be vlogging our trip at rock2santiago.com if anyone would like to follow that journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bom Caminho - I've searched the posts and I'm a little surprised this common question didn't pop up. We are travelling from Lisbon starting in 01 April. For an 01April start would you recommend sleeping bags or liners? We've walked the Frances x2 both starting in May and of course by then liners were fine. We walked the Via Francigena London-Rome in 2021 walking July-October and definitely needed a sleeping bag over the Alps and in October nearing Rome. If all the albergues could supply a blanket, then my answer would be liner. But I just don't know Portugal. Thoughts?

Actually we're starting from Gibraltar 01March and making our own route to Lisbon. It's been quite the ordeal finding lodging in part of that route, but we've managed to make a comprehensive lodging list and route if anyone is interested. Also we'll be vlogging our trip at rock2santiago.com if anyone would like to follow that journey.
I'd be very interested in your route and lodging list between Gibraitar and Lisbon. We have also considered such a walk, but understand the lodging can be difficult to find. Thank you. Bom Caminho

Last edited:
Hey friends,
nice to hear from you.

First - "I" always have my sleeping bag with me (probably habit). Then you know what you have. 😀

I like the Gibraltar start.
Will start May 1st in Vila Real and the ecovia - rota - trilho - senda litoral -
(my) coastwalk to fisterra - SdC "walk" if everything works. 😉 After that we'll see.....

I'll be mostly in my tent, but it would certainly be nice to hear from you.

Buen camino/bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gibraltar is a great starting point ; never been there myself, but make sure to get some fish & chips and some pints !! Not just for mere English tradition, but because the fish there, right next to the Atlantic fisheries, is liable to be brilliant ...

I'd be very interested in your route and lodging list between Gibraitar and Lisbon. We have also considered such a walk, but understand the lodging can be difficult to find. Thank you. Bom Caminho
I'm going to put a link to a google docs spreadsheet on our VLOG. The Vlog is rock2Santiago.com and it has a Lodging page. Since this is a somewhat comprehensive list of places we found on the internet, it is by NO MEANS a complete list of possibilities nor is it a recommendation (since we haven't been yet), but I will eventually add comments on the places we stay. I hope it is useful for folks that want to follow in our footsteps.

I am also interested to know if a sleeping bag is needed starting in early April as only have a liner and hoping blankets are available. Otherwise will wear all layers to sleep.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I am also interested to know if a sleeping bag is needed starting in early April as only have a liner and hoping blankets are available. Otherwise will wear all layers to sleep.

Gibraltar is a great starting point ; never been there myself, but make sure to get some fish & chips and some pints !! Not just for mere English tradition, but because the fish there, right next to the Atlantic fisheries, is liable to be brilliant ...
ABSOLUTELY!

For those interested, I've also put a link to my Gaia intended route onto our vlog site Rock2Santiago.com on the Maps page. You need to be patient because it is pretty slow to load that link for some reason. I'll probably post our actual tracks as we go along. I invite you to "subscribe" to the site. I don't do this for $ or anything, but it will send you an email to let you know when we've posted. You can comment and cheer us on and I'll try to reply when there is time in the evenings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yes, I'd be interested in your lodging list between Gibralter and Lisbon. How interesting and may have to add it to my list...after the Via Francigena from London!!
I walked from Lisbon to Compostela in 2019 and although I didn't find albergues, the small hotels on the way were adequate...just a phone call or booking.com.
It was a completely different story after Porto with lots of facilities for peregrinos.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back