• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gibraltar to Lisbon (and then north)

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Hi Pilgrims - excited to say we've just decided on our next pilgrimage (having done the Frances twice and most recently the entire VF). We will tackle Gibraltar to Lisbon. Once in Lisbon there is significant data available but I'd appreciate any insights on a route, stages, accommodation from Gibraltar over to Lisbon if anyone has them.
Meanwhile, if there is an e-book that someone might recommend that describes architecture/historic, cultural, or religious sites of interest along the way, I'd love to hear about it. Getting the route and accommodation once in Lisbon will be easy, but I love to learn and want to walk with "eyes open" as we pass places and would appreciate having a virtual guide.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's not an official camino but there is a trail in Portugal called the Fisherman's Trail.

A map/navigation app called OSMand has a feature where you can add locations where Wikipedia has GPS data associated with the article. So, for example, if you walk through a town and see a Wikipedia icon you can click it and get to see the article (or a portion of it anyway). The article is a downloaded version so it will not eat up your data. If you are interested in more information you can get the online article if you have WiFi or want to use data.

It's not an official camino but there is a trail in Portugal called the Fisherman's Trail.

A map/navigation app called OSMand has a feature where you can add locations where Wikipedia has GPS data associated with the article. So, for example, if you walk through a town and see a Wikipedia icon you can click it and get to see the article (or a portion of it anyway). The article is a downloaded version so it will not eat up your data. If you are interested in more information you can get the online article if you have WiFi or want to use data.
Rick...thanks for the reply and for all your help over the years. It's been awhile since I've been on this site because our focus has been on the VF for a few years. That was quite the walk!! Fisherman's looks amazing - it's a bit far out of the way for our journey in from Gibraltar, but everything is on the table at this point.

Wondering if there is a prescribed or at least documented route and accomodations coming in from the East (re Gibraltar). All routes seem to run parallel north and south from what I've seen. I don't have any problem making up my own route and will do that if it's not already been done.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, interesting. I guess you're going to be spending some time on route research.

I guess the Camino Estrecho(?) will get you from Algeciras to Cadiz. After that you'll likely need to busk it as far as Faro and then up through Beja and Evora on what the "Big Camino Map" suggests is called the Portuguese.

I've always fancied heading out from Gib to Cadiz and picking up the Augusta and Plata. Never considered swinging that far west. Could be fun.

Happy planning

Hmm, interesting. I guess you're going to be spending some time on route research.

I guess the Camino Estrecho(?) will get you from Algeciras to Cadiz. After that you'll likely need to busk it as far as Faro and then up through Beja and Evora on what the "Big Camino Map" suggests is called the Portuguese.

I've always fancied heading out from Gib to Cadiz and picking up the Augusta and Plata. Never considered swinging that far west. Could be fun.

Happy planning
I don't have any problem making up my own route. It seems we did quite a bit of that on the VF for one reason or another. Lodging is sometimes the tricky bit and a bridge-out can really put a kink in your day when on foot (don't ask how I know that). Really appreciate seeing familiar faces back on this board. Love the Estrecho recommendation.

Rick...thanks for the reply and for all your help over the years.
Thanks for the thanks too. I mentioned the Fisherman's Trail as that is the only southern way I know (but not first hand). Mainly I wanted to point out the Wikipedia guide-like thing.

Wondering if there is a prescribed or at least documented route and accomodations coming in from the East (re Gibraltar). All routes seem to run parallel north and south from what I've seen. I don't have any problem making up my own route and will do that if it's not already been done.
@jungleboy (Nick) seems to be an expert in Portuguese caminos. He posted a map here but he may know of other routes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Pilgrims - excited to say we've just decided on our next pilgrimage (having done the Frances twice and most recently the entire VF). We will tackle Gibraltar to Lisbon.
Buen camino and good luck to you but personally I don't really understand why you have already chosen a seemingly random start point that is not connected to major camino routes without knowing how you will do most of your pilgrimage when there are established routes you can choose instead.

If you want to walk a long-distance camino mostly in Portugal two good choices are the Caminho Central from Faro to Santarém and then the CP, or something like what we did last year - the Nascente from Tavira to Trancoso, the Torres to Braga and the Geira to Santiago. The southern sections (Central/Nascente) are more remote / less established but even then, these caminos are waymarked, there is a free guide for the Alentejo sections of the southern caminos (available here) and accommodation is arranged by local parish councils in the few places where there is no 'traditional' accommodation. In the case of the Nascente (and presumably the Central, though I haven't walked that yet), the local government has worked hard to define a route that is mostly on country paths and in some cases required coordination with and approval from property owners to divert the camino off roads and through their more pleasant properties. These are adventurous caminos where you are not likely to see any other pilgrims, but the basic infrastructure for an enjoyable camino exists. The Nascente is actually my favourite camino so far.

I am not aware of any route approximating Gibraltar-Lisbon or anything close to it and I don't know why you would choose to make up your own route, which won't be waymarked, will have more road walking and more accommodation gaps, instead of walking one of the ones mentioned above. But each to their own and again, buen camino and good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Pilgrims - excited to say we've just decided on our next pilgrimage (having done the Frances twice and most recently the entire VF). We will tackle Gibraltar to Lisbon. Once in Lisbon there is significant data available but I'd appreciate any insights on a route, stages, accommodation from Gibraltar over to Lisbon if anyone has them.
Meanwhile, if there is an e-book that someone might recommend that describes architecture/historic, cultural, or religious sites of interest along the way, I'd love to hear about it. Getting the route and accommodation once in Lisbon will be easy, but I love to learn and want to walk with "eyes open" as we pass places and would appreciate having a virtual guide.
During Covid I researched routes from Gibraltar but using the VdlP/Sanabres as the main axis. This had the option from Salamanca to head off into Portugal and pick up on the Portuguese routes to SdC.

The first option was Camino Del Estrecho to Cadiz, then Via Augusta to Seville then VdlP etc
The second option was to follow the Camino Serrano towards Ronda then Seville etc.

An out of the box suggestion could be follow the Camino del Sur in reverse from Seville/Zafra ito Huelva which is on the Portuguese border and then pick up the Coastal footpath network in Portugal to any any of the Portuguese Caminho start points e.g. Faro.

Between Cadiz and Huelva is the Park Donana which is a barrier to walking directly since this is off limits to everyone except for the Feast day of San Roque.

There is a good series on the Camino Del Estrecho from Algeciras to Cadiz on Youtube:

Happy planning
This is a very interesting post. Will be doing the CP out of Lisbon (God willing) in ‘24. Have always wanted to visit Gibralta… so combining (as DowtyCamino plans) a visit to ‘the Rock’ and the CP from Lisbon…really appeals.
Will be in Cadiz next April for the Augusta & VdlP…but this group of posts now has me thinking of a new starting point!! That said…will need to keep an eye on time in Schengen for this pilgrimage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Happy planning
I have thought of starting in Faro. But I have no idea what Busk means and if I will have to busk after Faro. 😀

I have thought of starting in Faro. But I have no idea what Busk means and if I will have to busk after Faro. 😀
The busking is before Faro. My impression is that the central from Faro should be well signed and with accommodation options. See this thread for general discussion of that route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, me interested in any idea of the above, too. Thanks.

Hy Dowty, I have walked the Camino del Estrecho From Algesiras to Jerez de la Frontera, then walked to Sanlucar de Barrameda. I took a little boat and crossed the Guadalquivir to the Donana Park (I actually visited it), then continued to Huelva. After Huelva I walked to Zafra. Instead you may find a way to Faro and from Faro to Lagos. ( I took a train from Lagos to Faro). From Lagos you can walk the beautiful Rota Vicentina up to Santiago do Cacem. And from there to Lisbon by bus. The whole trip will require one and one half to two months and a lot of planning (depending on how much you want to walk compared to take transportation). Not to many walk in this area so not much is available on the web. Good luck and Buen Camino

In a couple of weeks when home with access to a keyboard I can add some detail to the discussion. In the meantime the OP may have added some update of his own. Hasta Luego

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Such good comments that I will have to digest. I have a route from Gibraltar to Seville which my current #1 option but others are also in consideration. There are some great parks and "wilderness" areas between which will be my goals.

Re my rationalle, like most things it is purely adventure. I've "done" established routes and our experience on the VF last year gave me the confidence to go my own way when necessary. Not to fear, the vast portion of the route will be on an "official" Camino route, but I'm cutting across to blaze new ground and make mistakes that will advise others.

To all that follow...."you're welcome"! haha

Seriously, I'll pay if forward once I have my map routed and then again when, while along the way, I change it! We will keep a VLOG for those interested.

Mark

Rick...thanks for the reply and for all your help over the years. It's been awhile since I've been on this site because our focus has been on the VF for a few years. That was quite the walk!! Fisherman's looks amazing - it's a bit far out of the way for our journey in from Gibraltar, but everything is on the table at this point.

Rick...by the way. My sister and brother-in-law will be joining us on our Caminho and opted to start on the Fishermans and meet us in Lisbon. Thanks for the insight.

Hi, me interested in any idea of the above, too. Thanks.
To those that were following and kindly commented.... our plans have finalized. We leave March 1 for Gibraltar. I have each stage mapped out and GPS is available should someone want to follow the route. We've also collected hundreds of lodging options in a spreadsheet and will vlog our adventure at rock2santiago.com if you are interested in following. Due to a time crunch we will have to take a train in and out of the suburbs of Seville (not much to miss there), and into the suburbs of Lisbon, but otherwise its about an 700-800mile trek and will take about 9weeks. It's going to be grand!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Eager to hear of your journey from the Rock, through the Algarve and into Lisbon.
Bom Camino!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.